Sponsored by:

Easy Ipod Q's - iSimple or iPod2Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
wjsullivan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easy Ipod Q's - iSimple or iPod2Car

I've searched, read and searched again. These should be simple questions, but I'm just not clear on what I am reading...

The car - '99 Vert w/ Factory Bose & 12-disc changer. I don't care about using the changer, but it is wired and works. I'm willing to just unplug it

The questions:
1 - Which is the easiest to install iSimple (isgm73 or isgm74) or iPod2Car? I do not want to cut any of my existing wiring, just plug in a go or as close to that as possible.

2 - Does the iSimple isgm74 work on a '99? iSimple's site lists the isgm73 but that doesn't seem to be readily available through local places like Best Buy, but isgm74 is.

3 - I presume there a length of wire included that is long enough to run from the read 12-disc trunk location back to the dash or center console in order to have your ipod at your finger tips? Or is that a separate purchase.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM
tony car4a
Instructor

Do you have the cassette player? If so, and you want real simple (and cheap!) I found that an I-Pod cassette adapter works nicely and supplements the 12 disc changer. Yes, you must charge it every three hours or so or get a DC adaptor, but it's not that bad a compromise. Just my .02
Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Here is the I-SIMPLE 73 install

Here is the I-SIMPLE 73 install

I went out and took these pictures. The I-SIMPLE model you will need is ISGM73. It cost about $89.00 when I bought it from Best Buy. The kit contains an I-POD Cradle, Interface, Interface Cable and a 12 foot I-POD cable. I installed mine in about an hour. You will need some 2 inch wide VELCRO to install yours like I did mine. You will see I keep mine in the console to deter thieves from breaking the windows to steal the I-POD. The cable is long enough to put it out the console notch by the gas door. Here are the pictures. There are nine of them. You will have to drill a hole in the console but it is small. I didn't use the I=POD cradle, I did purchase a hard cover for the I-POD. Don't worry about heat in the console. I have headers and mine doesn't get to hot a all. Good luck and if you need anymore info please let me know. This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum great.

Roger

Originally Posted by wjsullivan
I've searched, read and searched again. These should be simple questions, but I'm just not clear on what I am reading...

The car - '99 Vert w/ Factory Bose & 12-disc changer. I don't care about using the changer, but it is wired and works. I'm willing to just unplug it

The questions:
1 - Which is the easiest to install iSimple (isgm73 or isgm74) or iPod2Car? I do not want to cut any of my existing wiring, just plug in a go or as close to that as possible.

2 - Does the iSimple isgm74 work on a '99? iSimple's site lists the isgm73 but that doesn't seem to be readily available through local places like Best Buy, but isgm74 is.

3 - I presume there a length of wire included that is long enough to run from the read 12-disc trunk location back to the dash or center console in order to have your ipod at your finger tips? Or is that a separate purchase.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
VetteCrazyRichard
Instructor

Went to Costco the other day and found, for $69.00 a Ipod
"receiver" that plugs into cigarette lighter plug for power
and receives the nearest FM station for your Ipod. Easy,
and relatively cheap.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteCrazyRichard
and relatively cheap.
There are literally hundreds of FM Modulators available.

The problem is they do not put out enough power to overpower the radio stations. FCC BS.

Even if you find an empty station, the audio quality is not even close to a physical connection.

I have tried about six or so with no luck. Granted, they are all crappy units purchased at Wal-Mart, but I thought I would have luck with at least one.

No matter what, you lose the low end and mids using these things.

I am still on a hunt for a simple solution. I have a Z06 with no CD changer.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm following these post for info on the iPhone 3G interface.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 AM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
I'm following these post for info on the iPhone 3G interface.
Same here. I can live without the charging functionality as the current iPod solutions don't charge the iPhone 3G's 'cause Apple sucks and they decided that people should re-purchase accessories.

Even still, I would like the ability to charge the iPhone.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 AM
PostShawn
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteCrazyRichard
and relatively cheap.
I got one of those too but in Los Angeles there are too many stations to easily use that.

I have the iSimple (ISGM73) from Best Buy. It was super easy to instal. No wire cutting. Just unplug the cd changer and plug in their little box. Then run the really long wire they give you to the front and put it where ever you want. Works great.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 AM
HawnHog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to the man. I did and never looked back. Eveything you need is here and more. The cable from the interface (that plugs into the trunk changer's cable) to the IPod is long enough to go to the dash and beyond. The complete R&R took me all of 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by 04VaVette
Here is the I-SIMPLE 73 install

I went out and took these pictures. The I-SIMPLE model you will need is ISGM73. It cost about $89.00 when I bought it from Best Buy. The kit contains an I-POD Cradle, Interface, Interface Cable and a 12 foot I-POD cable. I installed mine in about an hour. You will need some 2 inch wide VELCRO to install yours like I did mine. You will see I keep mine in the console to deter thieves from breaking the windows to steal the I-POD. The cable is long enough to put it out the console notch by the gas door. Here are the pictures. There are nine of them. You will have to drill a hole in the console but it is small. I didn't use the I=POD cradle, I did purchase a hard cover for the I-POD. Don't worry about heat in the console. I have headers and mine doesn't get to hot a all. Good luck and if you need anymore info please let me know. This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum great.

Roger

Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
wjsullivan
Pro

Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks guys. Now I just need to find a 73. Doesn't seem that Best Buy caries them anymore, just the 74.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Over-torque
Racer

What about guys with Z06s and no CD Changer? i just have the stock Bose in dash CD.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Over-torque
What about guys with Z06s and no CD Changer? i just have the stock Bose in dash CD.
I think there was an extra harness you can get to make it work. Don't remember where though. The info is out there in past threads.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I sure wish someone would make a 'sticky' on this There are a lot of threads, but honestly I've had kind of a hard time sorting through them too for a non-changer installation.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
T&C Conv
Instructor

I'm not fancy enough to have an Ipod, but I have a Creative Labs Zen and I added a PXDX to my 2002 and put a USB port in the console so keep it charged.

It works great!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
04Vette1431
Instructor

04VaVette...I used your pics of installation and you made it every easy for me to follow along with you...

Took me about 10 minutes to figure it out but it works better than any ipod fm radio thingy...whatever you wanna call the other products out there....

Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy Ipod Q's - iSimple or iPod2Car

Quick Reply: Easy Ipod Q's - iSimple or iPod2Car