Pennzoil Full Syn...who uses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default Pennzoil Full Syn...who uses?

Was wondering if anyone uses Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil in their vette? From what I've been able to find, it's of the same quality as Mobile 1. But, then hype is hype. Looking for real world input.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Remo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Don't Get It?

Why would you change from Mobile to Pennzoil?
Remo

2001 Quicksilver Vert, 6SP, Lingenfelter 452 RWHP, T-1 suspension
Bilstien Sports, Kooks headers, high flow cats, X-pipe and Stingers.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Anything Pennzoil will never be in my car.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill K
Anything Pennzoil will never be in my car.
Why? Pennzoil is a very good oil, their Pennzoil Platinum has shown very consistent and excellent oil analysis results, and even their yellow bottle conventional oil has proven itself in oil analysis as well.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum for a couple of years now with excellent oil analysis results. It shows low engine wear and strong TBN retention (acid neutralizing capability) and retains it's viscosity extremely well also.

A lot of people who have run Mobil 1 in their cars and switched to Pennzoil Platinum have seen their engine wear go down in their oil analysis results.

Don't believe me? Check out the used oil analysis section on the bobistheoilguy.com message board (I'm an admin on there, and have been on the site since it's inception in 2002)
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's more than likely just fine but I'll stick with Mobil 1!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So far I've used Mobile 1,,but I'm not married to it. Got a good deal on M1 shortly before I needed to change. If that situation arises on Pennzoil Platinum I'd use it. Any top name full synthetic at a good price I am comfortable with. Just MOST of the time I can get a good price on Mobile 1 at Sam's. I WON'T use regular oil though!!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM
AFBombdude
Racer

Originally Posted by Patman
Why? Pennzoil is a very good oil, their Pennzoil Platinum has shown very consistent and excellent oil analysis results, and even their yellow bottle conventional oil has proven itself in oil analysis as well.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum for a couple of years now with excellent oil analysis results. It shows low engine wear and strong TBN retention (acid neutralizing capability) and retains it's viscosity extremely well also.

A lot of people who have run Mobil 1 in their cars and switched to Pennzoil Platinum have seen their engine wear go down in their oil analysis results.

Don't believe me? Check out the used oil analysis section on the bobistheoilguy.com message board (I'm an admin on there, and have been on the site since it's inception in 2002)

I'm in the same boat as Patman. M1 out, Penz Platinum in. Oil analysis showed my engine wear decreased with PP. I won't run M1 again as long as PP shows GREAT results. Don't get me wrong wrong M1 is a good oil but it ain't what it use to be. I was a Penzoil hater a while ago also but it looks like they got their act together!

You guys that are die hard M1 fans may want to do some research if you want only the best for your baby. Oh, and don't be fooled by the label that says "full synthetic" cuz most likely it ain't.

$.02
Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I now use Royal Purple.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Ikester
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Remo
Why would you change from Mobile to Pennzoil?
Because walmart has PP on sale for 19.98 5qt jug

I just changed the oil today for the winter (5w-30.) I gave Penzoil Platinum a whirl

Last edited by Ikester; 11-07-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i have been using the Pennzoil Prem Synth and am very happy
Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do! Also Valvoline SynPower, Mobil 1, TexacoHavoline Syn. Which ever is on sale for the best price. They all, among others, meet GM4718M.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I use RP in the Vette....but the other 2 vechiles and 2 lawnmowers get Pennsoil Plat
Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AFBombdude
I'm in the same boat as Patman. M1 out, Penz Platinum in. Oil analysis showed my engine wear decreased with PP. I won't run M1 again as long as PP shows GREAT results. Don't get me wrong wrong M1 is a good oil but it ain't what it use to be. I was a Penzoil hater a while ago also but it looks like they got their act together!

You guys that are die hard M1 fans may want to do some research if you want only the best for your baby. Oh, and don't be fooled by the label that says "full synthetic" cuz most likely it ain't.

$.02
Heck with all these "techie terms" and "oil analysis, etc... I'll be straight forward with ya'all. I am the MOST stubborn person I know when it comes to my Vette. I will NOT make any changes, until I've had at least 300 sleepless nights of research in any item. Having said that, I've used Mobil1 from day one.

I also own a BMW, which has even more strict oil regulations. It HAS to be European formula and "BMW Longlife" approved.

The problem I've been facing is that I had to buy 2 different kinds of oils, and both are kind of expensive. Mobil1 5-30W (for Vette), and Castrol European/or Mobil1 0-40W (for Bimmer). I've been chatting with Bimmer forum guys too, trying to find out the suitable oil for it, which didn't have to be BMW-LL.

Conclusion: The Penzoil Platinum is GM approved for Corvette application. It also states that it cleans engine (5%.. or something like that.. not sure) better than other oils. I don't care if that's true, since it's GM approved for Vette anyways. So, I use that oil in Vette NOW! And if it's good for the Vette, it's also good for the Bimmer. Works WELL in BOTH cars! So, I simply buy big jugs from Walmart.

Mobil1 is a great oil. I love it. But it's not the best. They have a deal with GM, so it states right on your oil cap to "USE" Mobil1, as if other/better oils would do harm.. . I'm sure you knew that...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 11-07-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM
GreenDream
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When Katrina hit, there was a shortage of M1 around here so I went to the Pennzoil Platnum Plus. When the next oil change came around I still had a quart, so continued with it. Very satisfied. I have 78,000 miles on it and it has never used a singe drop of oil between changes whether M-1 or Pennzoil.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:22 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikester
Because walmart has PP on sale for 19.98 5qt jug

I just changed the oil today for the winter (5w-30.) I gave Penzoil Platinum a whirl
And you can get $15 of that back from Pennzoil with a mail in rebate. See this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-platinum.html

BTW I use it in my vette and my truck. Works just fine.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
geocor2003
Racer

The RP 5w30 does'nt meet the GM4718M spec anymore!I would rather use PP or oils that meet the spec.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the last few changes, I get it free so why not eh!

Get notified of new replies

To Pennzoil Full Syn...who uses?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

So far that's one I haven't gotten around to!! Used Valvoline Synthetic on the last one,,and just the other day,,just gave her a fresh fill with the Quaker State Q synthetic!! I have to keep an eye out for that dufus swinging the dipstick!! If I find it on sale,,I'll use it. As far as I'm concerned,,a quality brand name full synthetic is good enough for me. I drive enough that going by the DIC, I change it 2 or 3 times a year!! She is still singing pretty!!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Heck with all these "techie terms" and "oil analysis, etc... I'll be straight forward with ya'all. I am the MOST stubborn person I know when it comes to my Vette. I will NOT make any changes, until I've had at least 300 sleepless nights of research in any item. Having said that, I've used Mobil1 from day one.

I also own a BMW, which has even more strict oil regulations. It HAS to be European formula and "BMW Longlife" approved.

The problem I've been facing is that I had to buy 2 different kinds of oils, and both are kind of expensive. Mobil1 5-30W (for Vette), and Castrol European/or Mobil1 0-40W (for Bimmer). I've been chatting with Bimmer forum guys too, trying to find out the suitable oil for it, which didn't have to be BMW-LL.

Conclusion: The Penzoil Platinum is GM approved for Corvette application. It also states that it cleans engine (5%.. or something like that.. not sure) better than other oils. I don't care if that's true, since it's GM approved for Vette anyways. So, I use that oil in Vette NOW! And if it's good for the Vette, it's also good for the Bimmer. Works WELL in BOTH cars! So, I simply buy big jugs from Walmart.

Mobil1 is a great oil. I love it. But it's not the best. They have a deal with GM, so it states right on your oil cap to "USE" Mobil1, as if other/better oils would do harm.. . I'm sure you knew that...
Are you sure what you are saying?
Or does it say factory filled with Mobil 1? I no longer have the factory cap so I can't check it.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan

You must have a "special" cap. Mine states "Notice See Owner's Manual, Special Oil Required". The Owner's Manual only recommends oils that meet GM4718M specs. It does not recommend Mobil 1 over any other oil that meets specs. "Your vehicle’s engine is filled at the factory with a Mobil 1® synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for your vehicle."

Quick Reply: Pennzoil Full Syn...who uses?