Sponsored by:

Jacking The C5, Guys With Lifts Come In

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking The C5, Guys With Lifts Come In

So I have a 99 FRC that currently isn't running (heads aren't on it) and I need to change the oil. Since it isn't running I of course can't put it up on ramps. The car is in a garage with a lift but the contact points on the lift don't reach far enough under the car to reach the jacking points shown in the manual. The contact points on the lift can reach the front jacking points on car but they can't reach the back points which I circled in the picture below. Are there any other points I can use that are maybe closer to the outside of the car? What do you guys who use lifts use as contact points? Will I need a "puck" to get at these points or can I just use the contacts on the lift?

BTW the lift I'm using doesn't have a platform you drive on it just has slide out contact points, 4 in total. Sorry for my crappy picture, its the best I could do. I did a search but there was no information regarding using a lift. Also, I dont have jackstands so using those isn't an option but I do have 2 floorjacks that I can use if the lift isn't possible.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
chris__2007
Racer

lifting pucks, lift from the cut outs in the rockers....

you can order them from any corvette place or make your own from hockey pucks..
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
chris__2007
Racer

i just bought these instead of working with hockey pucks...

http://corvetteamerica.com/cf/displa...ifting%20pucks

you can drill a hole in the hockey puck and bolt an i-bolt to it and make the same....
Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
cookrent
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08

Use pucks and use the two on each side of car. That will lift the car.

Frame contact points

Last edited by cookrent; 12-02-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Elite Engineering makes quality stuff

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/jacking-pads.html
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

Here you go,
www.airjax.com
We just put a set on our race car, amazing how much easier they make things.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

So just to make sure I have the right spot, do pucks/jacks go where I circled in the picture below? Sorry again for the crappy pic, I just did it on paint.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM
chris__2007
Racer

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
So just to make sure I have the right spot, do pucks/jacks go where I circled in the picture below? Sorry again for the crappy pic, I just did it on paint.

that is correct...
Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Get the car within the confines of your lift. Using a "puck" or two, lift the car at each corner high enough to get a piece of 2x10 under each wheel. Continue adding 2x10s until the car is off the ground enough to swing the lift's arms under the car....
Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
chris__2007
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Get the car within the confines of your lift. Using a "puck" or two, lift the car at each corner high enough to get a piece of 2x10 under each wheel. Continue adding 2x10s until the car is off the ground enough to swing the lift's arms under the car....
depending upon lift, if he is not lowered the arms will fit right under [even with the puck].
Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

The arms will fit right under, hopefully the puck won't change that. How tall are the pucks? I'm guessing an inch or 2? I'm going to check out the arms on the lift to make sure they aren't too long to fit under those points that I referenced earlier.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
chris__2007
Racer

The arms will fit right under, hopefully the puck won't change that. How tall are the pucks? I'm guessing an inch or 2? I'm going to check out the arms on the lift to make sure they aren't too long to fit under those points that I referenced earlier.
my pucks are 1 1/8"

do not worry about the length of the lift arm. attach puck to car and swing arm under. it is ok of the arm extends past the outer frame rail as long as you catch the puck on the arm [just don't catch anything else under the car]. you may have to remove the actual lift pads from the arms so you can rest the frame puck on the lift arm...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

I just checked my lift and there is very little clearance between the liftpads and the underside of the car. 1 1/8 on the pucks isn't very high but its going to be pushing it regardless, hopefully it fits. Does anyone near State College, PA have any pucks I can borrow? I would like to avoid paying for the pucks and I dont have a drill to use on a hockey puck?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

I just checked my lift and there is very little clearance between the liftpads and the underside of the car. 1 1/8 on the pucks isn't very high but its going to be pushing it regardless, hopefully it fits. Does anyone near State College, PA have any pucks I can borrow? I would like to avoid paying for the pucks and I dont have a drill to use on a hockey puck?

I would think that if you can indeed get the arms of the lift under the car, near the jack points, 4 plain old hockey pucks would work just fine... I would assume that you're not going to be rocking the car aound a lot, so the weight of the car should hold the pucks in place on the lift's arm.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
SlowFRC
Racer

Any other opinions on just using plain old hockey pucks with no modification to the puck? It "should" work but I would be kind of screwed if it didn't since I need to get the car off the ground this weekend.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
chris__2007
Racer

if you are putting heads on the car surley you can find a way to get an 1 1/2" eye bolt screwed through the center of a hockey puck.

i'm sure you'll be fine without but the eye bolt will allow you to hang the puck from the frame rail [slip eye in and turn 90 degree].
Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

These work like a champ. We've been supplying these to the Corvette Forum for years.
Attached Images   

Click for Elite Engineering

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking The C5, Guys With Lifts Come In

Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM
SlowFRC
Racer

What is the diameter and height of your product, Elite?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Mind you, my car is out in the COLD garage, all covered up. My jacking pucks have never been used, so they're still wrapped up in the plastic bag they came in, in the rear storage compartment of the car...just in case.

I wouldn't do this for anyone but another Corvette owner...My pucks are 2 3/8" diameter, 1 1/8" thick.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Mind you, my car is out in the COLD garage, all covered up. My jacking pucks have never been used, so they're still wrapped up in the plastic bag they came in, in the rear storage compartment of the car...just in case.

I wouldn't do this for anyone but another Corvette owner...My pucks are 2 3/8" diameter, 1 1/8" thick.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate you and anyone else who goes out of their way to share info on this forum, without the help I would be helpless. The reason I asked it because I got some regular hockey pucks but they look too large (diameter-wise) to fit in the cutout for the puck on the car. I would just go out and check fitment on the cat if it was anywhere close to me but its 45 minutes away so thats not too easy. I'll measure my puck and see how much larger it is than yours, thanks again.

Quick Reply: Jacking The C5, Guys With Lifts Come In