Sponsored by:

Driveway scraping

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM
pikerunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveway scraping

My driveway slopes up from the curb and I have to hit it just right (at an angle) to avoid scraping. Are the side frame rails and the front little wheels worth it?

Any suggestions on best value or past solutions is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I am waiting for my "fat daddy" wheels to come....I'll let you know if they solve that problem for me .
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Yes, great investment.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

isn't it just the orginial equipment front spoiler that is dragging? It's spring loaded, so no big deal, I also drive up my driveway and down on an angle, it always drags...you'll get used to it.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
pikerunner
Instructor

It is the front spoiler but also the side rails. I figured I would do both.

The Fat Daddy ones do like a good possiblity. Website has them plus the side rails. Price does not seem to bad.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

You have to check and see what is hitting before you can say the Fat Daddy wheels will do the job. I installed the Fat Daddy about 6 months ago and on my driveway they might as well not be there. When I back out the spoiler center section drags first and then at the last few inches the wheel of the vehicle drop off very rapidly and the bars from the radiator cage bounce off the top of the curb and the front face drags on the way down the curbing. I'm absolutely embarrassed to death if there are any neighbors around when I back out. The stares as the car scrapes its way out into the road make me want to crawl under the dash so I can't be seen. The Fat Daddy's don't have a mark on the wheels but the bars of the radiator cage are scarred up deeply and badly all along the front edge. I'm waiting for CCA to get their Frame Rails back in stock. They should take the brunt of the beating on my car and when they wear through they will be easier to replace than the whole cage, though they won't help with the stares. All of this and the car is stock height.

Have someone back your car out or drive it in slowly and you watch to see what is hitting. Then decide if the Fat Daddy's will help. The wheels hang down about 3/8" below the bottom of the radiator cage bars.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You have to check and see what is hitting before you can say the Fat Daddy wheels will do the job. I installed the Fat Daddy about 6 months ago and on my driveway they might as well not be there. When I back out the spoiler center section drags first and then at the last few inches the wheel of the vehicle drop off very rapidly and the bars from the radiator cage bounce off the top of the curb and the front face drags on the way down the curbing. I'm absolutely embarrassed to death if there are any neighbors around when I back out. The stares as the car scrapes its way out into the road make me want to crawl under the dash so I can't be seen. The Fat Daddy's don't have a mark on the wheels but the bars of the radiator cage are scarred up deeply and badly all along the front edge. I'm waiting for CCA to get their Frame Rails back in stock. They should take the brunt of the beating on my car and when they wear through they will be easier to replace than the whole cage, though they won't help with the stares. All of this and the car is stock height.

Have someone back your car out or drive it in slowly and you watch to see what is hitting. Then decide if the Fat Daddy's will help. The wheels hang down about 3/8" below the bottom of the radiator cage bars.
Try laying a piece of 2 X 4 lumber in the gutter...works for me. if you cut it about 3 feet long and use several so it won't warp.
mrgil
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

The fatt daddys and momas do help, Buy you still scrape the air dam.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative
I am waiting for my "fat daddy" wheels to come....I'll let you know if they solve that problem for me .

I am going to install mine soon!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they sure wont hurt its not a bad investment
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM
ToplessBlonde
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill K
The fatt daddys and momas do help, Buy you still scrape the air dam.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a driveway like that. I went to Andy's and had the frame savers and small wheels installed. It still hit, but now it was his stuff and not the body / frame.

Then my wife surprised me and had the driveway fixed. End of problem.

Jay
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 AM
paullywalnuts
Pro

It's all about the angle. (lowered cars scrape!)
Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 AM
kww
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to avoid going in at an angle everytime you go in and out of your driveway I saw something pretty neat from Griot's Garage. It's a long "driveway curb bridge" cost is $99.00 to $299.00. Made out of recycled tires. Weights in at 120 to 170lbs and bolts together.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I would get them if I were you
Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Just installed my little wheelies, got them from Chip. Have not tried them out yet it has been raining.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

I realize that 98% of the scraping in and out of driveway is the spoiler....but there are scrapes on the metal too so that is why I am installing the "Fat Daddy"
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My Z is lowered all the way on stock bolts. I have the fatt daddys on there and I cut about 1 inch off the bottom of the scraper. It just barely scrapes my driveway now. No difference in cooling either before someone posts about not cutting it. After dropping it down, and cutting the scraper, it ends up about the same distance from the ground.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
biglite351
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Fatts on and it helps, but sometimes it still scrapes the black damn underthere. But honestly, that doesn't matter. Do you pull in straight or at an angle? If you pull in at an angle there is still a chance of the corner of the nose hitting before the Fatts contact. It's all about the angles...

Get notified of new replies

To Driveway scraping

Quick Reply: Driveway scraping