Sponsored by:

Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
The pics and the write-up are great! Per Peripheral Electronics, the right harness for this configuration is the PXHGM4...and contrary to many posts, mostly older, the item is in-stock and available. I bought this unit and cable and then read about the battery problems; here's PE's response:

It does have a slight draw (as any product would when connected to the vehicles battery) that may kill the battery if the vehicle is not driven frequently. The draw is a lot less when the iPod is left unconnected. There is a way to cut and connect the yellow power wire from the harness to an accessory 12 volt source and that way it will completely shut down when the vehicle is off.

Am I missing something or is this unit not an "accessory" that should be using that source by design? If I have to cut wires to get something installed, that kinda defeats the purpose of "plug and play" from my perspective.

I'm certainly not going to start cutting wires in my Z06...so on to the forum it goes for sale.
Thanks for the props...

You don't have to cut any wires or anything on your car. Just the Peripheral harness itself is where you cut the wire. I can have my car back to 100% stock in 15 mins If I wanted.

Your correct... the correct Harness is PXHGM4. However when I went to purchase the PXHGM4 harness they were out of stock (November 08), and they told me to order and combine PXHGM1 harness, and the GMH20T harness. It works the same way.

If you daily drive your car then you don't have to do any work to the harness. If your a weekend cruiser like me then make the simple modification to the Peripheral harness as I did above and your good to go !

Hope this helps change your mind. Its really a good modification I think.

Toque
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Toque
Hope this helps change your mind. Its really a good modification I think.
Everyone has stuff they're good at - and stuff they're not. I build great engines...but when I touch wires I tend to let all the smoke out and then they don't work any more
Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by billla
Everyone has stuff they're good at - and stuff they're not. I build great engines...but when I touch wires I tend to let all the smoke out and then they don't work any more
I know what you mean.... thats why I don't touch my motor..... I let LG's mess with that....

Toque
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Inrchld
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th generation Ipod issue

I received a 4th gen nano this week as a gift. I had my C5 wired this way a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed playing and charging with no battery issue however the car is driven at least weekly. While I was never able to use any of the stereo controls I did have full use of my 1st gen's menu, wheel, all features. I connected my new toy today only to find charging isn't supported and while it will play I am limited to the stereo's forward and reverse plus it will only begin from the first tune in my library. AAAArrrrrgggghhhh!!!!! My local Apple store explained 4th gens new technology causes the issue. I'm a huge Apple fan but they do this all the time. I don't doubt there wii be a new kit to address it but I hate the thoughts of expense and time involved. Anyone hear anything?
BTW, wonderful install pics. Mine is routed out through the ashtray and I have a small velcro tab that will hold my ( old ) nano to the right of the stereo.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrchld
I received a 4th gen nano this week as a gift. I had my C5 wired this way a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed playing and charging with no battery issue however the car is driven at least weekly. While I was never able to use any of the stereo controls I did have full use of my 1st gen's menu, wheel, all features. I connected my new toy today only to find charging isn't supported and while it will play I am limited to the stereo's forward and reverse plus it will only begin from the first tune in my library. AAAArrrrrgggghhhh!!!!! My local Apple store explained 4th gens new technology causes the issue. I'm a huge Apple fan but they do this all the time. I don't doubt there wii be a new kit to address it but I hate the thoughts of expense and time involved. Anyone hear anything?
BTW, wonderful install pics. Mine is routed out through the ashtray and I have a small velcro tab that will hold my ( old ) nano to the right of the stereo.
There is a work around. I saw an adapter that fits between the iPod and the cable that rewires so that charging works on 4th Gen and iPhones

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...46F9EF76023690
Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM
C5Vette168
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Great write-up! This is going to be my next project. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the detailed write-up. This will be a good mod to do before the Power Tour.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Rossi396
Pro

Default Thanks, Toque...

Put the Ipod in today using your directions. I had the PXHGM4, so I believe I had one less cable. Regardless...It's MAGIC

I'm blasting out the neighbors from the driveway while I type this from my laptop...I went from one CD at a time to about 1,500 songs!

Great, EASY mod...Thanks again for the directions.

Rossi
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Rossi396
Put the Ipod in today using your directions. I had the PXHGM4, so I believe I had one less cable. Regardless...It's MAGIC

I'm blasting out the neighbors from the driveway while I type this from my laptop...I went from one CD at a time to about 1,500 songs!

Great, EASY mod...Thanks again for the directions.

Rossi
Rossi:

Your more than welcome. I'm glad my procedure helped you out...

Toque
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Aerohawk
Drifting

Guys:

Here is what I found. Its was a fairly easy solution, and it seems to operate the IPOD just as it did before. I was used to seeing the IPOD show a picture of the battery charging on it when I turned off the ignition. It does not do that now. The IPOD completely turns off now when the ignition is off. I only hope it cures the battery drain issue....

I found a "ignition switched" 12v on the harness that is not used. Its on the PHXGM1 harness. Last week I did not know what to connect it to so I just taped it up. I put it to good use this week...

Let me report back in a week before you all jump into your dash to try this....

Toque
Excellent work! Any idea how this fix would be different for those of us using the PHXGM4?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great write up. That'll help a lot of people out
Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Aerohawk
Excellent work! Any idea how this fix would be different for those of us using the PHXGM4?
I don't have that harness, and i wish i had more info for you. All I did is go in there with a voltmeter with the car off looking for an always ON 12v. I just made it switched 12v. I leave my IPOD in my car connected full time now. I have gone 2 weeks now with not driving the car and come to it with NO battery drain at all. I feel confidant that this fixed the battery drain issuue.

Touue
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have that harness, and i wish i had more info for you. All I did is go in there with a voltmeter with the car off looking for an always ON 12v. I just made it switched 12v. I leave my IPOD in my car connected full time now. I have gone 2 weeks now with not driving the car and come to it with NO battery drain at all. I feel confidant that this fixed the battery drain issuue.

Touue
Great write up... I'll have to do this soon!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 AM
kk5150
7th Gear

Did this mod tonight(along with a Sirius install), works great so far. Road test tomorrow. Thatnks a million for the pics of the procedure. It really was very easy. You da man!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 AM
chevykevv
Racer

Many thanks for this thread, it's convinced me to buy an adaptor today.
Can't wait to get it fitted.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great thread....................

Will this adapter work with any MP3 player? Or does it have to be an IPOD?

thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
02corvette
Instructor

Nice documentation. Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Great thread....................

Will this adapter work with any MP3 player? Or does it have to be an IPOD?

thanks
I am not sure about the MP3 player. I am not sure what sort of connection sit uses. Sorry

Toque
Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Inrchld
3rd Gear

Default IPod Adapter first gen replacement

We recently ordered and installed a new adapter that accommodates my 4th gen in the same fashion as the first. Mine uses the aux, disconnecting the cd changer in the back. All that was needed was to disconnect the old piece from the trunk, plug in the new, set the code and pull the new kit's wire up the trail of it's predecessor. No need to pull the radio. You have to buy the entire kit so I've got an entire first gen kit available for a C5 with a trunk cd changer if anyone is interested. It ran my first gen and charged it like a champ. Neither kit will work for an mp3 but there are kits available. Thanks to the great pics posted here we routed this one through the console. Looks quite smart.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Franko
Instructor

I just installed my ipod2car PXDP adaptor and PHXGM4 cable in my 2000 vert it has the CD player in the dash. Installation was simple but unfortunately it does not work. I than redid all the connections and it still does not work. I read in the install directions that the ipod needed to have the most recent version of Firmware from Apple. What does this mean I looked on the Apple website and could find nothing about ipod Firmware? Instructions also stated after everything is hooked up you press the CD/AUX button on your radio to select the ipod. It may take up to 3 minutes for the interface to initialize to the radio. I did that and nothing happens. I'm at a loss for what to do next. anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Franko

Quick Reply: Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer