Sponsored by:

Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Guys:

I also have these pics and procedures uploaded to my web site at the bottom.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aae8/webpage.html

I got a Ipod adapter for xmas...

I got:
1.) Peripheral ISGM73 iPod™ Adapter
2.) Peripheral GMH20TC 20-Pin T-Harness for 1997-04 Corvettes

First off the procedure that came with the adapter sucked ! I had a bunch of wires and no clue which was which. I looked over the net and eventually made heads or tails out of it. Once I did that it was very straight forward. Hopefully this can help clear it up for you guys so as to take the leg work out of it for you.

Set the White Peripheral box so that Dip Switches 3 and 8 are set to "ON".

You can see in the below pics that only GMH20TC, and PXHGM1 are used. PXHGM2 and PXHGM3 are not used at all. PXHGM2 and PXHGM3 come with the Peripheral ISGM73 iPod™ Adapter package. The white connector just above the white Peripheral box in the below pic is not connected to anything that I could find... I just taped it up.

Remove the 2x screws holding in the factory deck, and the 2x screws holding in the AC unit. Its easier just moving the AC unit to the side when doing the install.

I wired everything up loose just to test it to make sure it all worked correctly. I then re-routed all my cables in the pics further down.

Route your wires behind the deck and behind the AC unit so that you can re-install both components without the cable being in the way

I put double sided 3M sticky tape on my Peripheral box and mounted is on top of the little box back in there (see next couple pics)

Run the single Ipod cable along the exhisting factory cable and tie wrap it.

Reverse the procedure to re-install the consoles. Its completely invisable when the center console is closed. No one will know whats in there !

Its now up to you where you want to mount the IPOD. I mounted mine to the underside of the center console as seen below with some double sided sticky tape.

Hope this helps take the frustration out of doing this install. As I said before... there is no real procedure out there that I could find to install this.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 04-15-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Guys:

Hope this helps take the frustration out of doing this install. As I said before... there is no real procedure out there that I could find to install this.

Toque
Great write-up! Getting ready to do this install myself as soon as I can figure out how to defeat the battery drain issue when the car is turned off.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Choreo
Great write-up! Getting ready to do this install myself as soon as I can figure out how to defeat the battery drain issue when the car is turned off.
Thanks !

I have been unplugging mine when I get out of the car. Its not a daily driver so I'ts no issue for me. Thats not a good solution though really.

Toque
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Thanks !

I have been unplugging mine when I get out of the car. Its not a daily driver so I'ts no issue for me. Thats not a good solution though really.

Toque
Yes, but the problem as reported in other posts is that the Peripheral Adapter still draws current ALL THE TIME with the car turned off as there is still power to the radio harness (as evidenced by the CD ejection working even with the car off).
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Sweet install Mark I'll be saving this post for future reference
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How timely. Just got my Neo IPOD2CAR setup and Peripheral cable in the mail today. Your write-up and pics will come in handy. You are the man.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Autobot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how this unit powers up, but there is a couple of wires in the passenger footwell that are hot only when the ignition is on (i think it is orange).

The one thing I might have changed is take out the aux power in the glove box and run the cable in through there. If you undo the connector you need to turn it 90° and pull then another 90 and it will come out. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Yes, but the problem as reported in other posts is that the Peripheral Adapter still draws current ALL THE TIME with the car turned off as there is still power to the radio harness (as evidenced by the CD ejection working even with the car off).
Your right. I never thought about that. I will keep an eye on my battery charge for sure ! Thanks !

Originally Posted by jim02C5
Sweet install Mark I'll be saving this post for future reference
Thanks Jim

Originally Posted by SUPERCRUZ
How timely. Just got my Neo IPOD2CAR setup and Peripheral cable in the mail today. Your write-up and pics will come in handy. You are the man.
Thanks Supercruz

Toque
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Aerohawk
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As reported in the post I started, I'm already out another $100 as a result of having to replace my car battery after this thing drained it 4 times (twice without the iPod plugged in). This was due at first to me not figuring out what was happening and then to my forgeting to be sure to drive the car every few days to avoid the depletion.

Peripheral just confirmed in an email to me that the unit draws a little bit of current at all times, even when vehicle is shut off and no iPod is connected.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Aerohawk
Peripheral just confirmed in an email to me that the unit draws a little bit of current at all times, even when vehicle is shut off and no iPod is connected.
Damm....
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
BUBBAS 01Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerohawk
As reported in the post I started, I'm already out another $100 as a result of having to replace my car battery after this thing drained it 4 times (twice without the iPod plugged in). This was due at first to me not figuring out what was happening and then to my forgeting to be sure to drive the car every few days to avoid the depletion.

This seems to be different for every car...I have the same install and have gone up to 3 weeks without starting my car and have had zero issues with battery drainage....

On numerous occasions I have left my Ipod to charge in my car over the weekend and still can fire it up Monday morning without problems....

Damm....
You'll be fine bro...congrats on the install !!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great pictures! I may actually do it now.

How about some pictures of how you control the iPod via the deck?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very nice writeup. Thanks for taking the time to document and post up the details.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BUBBAS 01Z06
This seems to be different for every car...I have the same install and have gone up to 3 weeks without starting my car and have had zero issues with battery drainage....

On numerous occasions I have left my Ipod to charge in my car over the weekend and still can fire it up Monday morning without problems....

You'll be fine bro...congrats on the install !!
Thanks guy ! I am hoping i don't have the battery issue.

I have been meaning to ask you though... I got ~350 songs on my ipod. I tell it to go into random song mode. On the IPOD itself i can cycle through all 350 songs clicking the right button on the IPOD. I however can't track thru all 350 songs on the ipod with my head unit in the car. It may only go to 7 songs, then repeat the 7 songs again (its not always 7 songs, it may be 5 or 4, or 8 the next cycle). I have to hit the ipod ahead a few songs to get to a song i have not heard yet. Does yours do this ?

Did I hear someone say in a post I read that you need a CD in the head unit for some reason ? For my issue above ? I need to try this, just have not yet.

Thanks Bubbas !
Toque
Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GK
Great pictures! I may actually do it now.
I'm really glad to hear that. Thats exactly why I wrote the procedure and detailed the exact parts you need to get it done right. The procedure in the manual that comes with the adapter is garbage... You will laugh when you see it. Its so generic that it makes no sence at all. The procedure even has you go to certain web pages to access data needed for the install ! They should have vehicle specific install manuals for this.

Originally Posted by GK
How about some pictures of how you control the iPod via the deck?
Its super easy.... Just hit the CD/AUX button on the head unit. It will cycle between the IPOD sound, and the CD sound. Hit the AM/FM and you will hear the radio....

Use the standard track forward/reverse button to switch to next song or reverse to the previous song, and use the fast forward/fast rewind to skip ahead or reverse inside a song.

Basically the same as you would operate a CD in the stereo

Hope this helps.
Toque

Last edited by Toque; 01-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

When I did mine last year I added 1 extra step
Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Novat_99
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up...thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer

Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
When I did mine last year I added 1 extra step
Very cool idea ! Now why did you not tell me that before I started ?

Toque
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Once you have the ipod in the car, you wonder how you ever did without it.

Good job on documenting the installation procedure.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Sting99
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Novat_99
Nice write-up...thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ipod Adapter - Install Procedure - Z06/C5 - No CD Changer