Sponsored by:

Tranny,tranny,tranny dilemma and i don't mean transvestite

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny,tranny,tranny dilemma and i don't mean transvestite

03 Z/06 tranny started to make a noise this past summer mostly when pulling away from a stop,lot of exp. w/cars and repairs,never heard this before when pulling away from standing still a noise "EEERRTTT" almost sounds like a horn,sometimes on downshift suspected maybe clutch throw out brg. but when tranny oil changed to royal purple noise went away for a week or so so I surmise its def. a tranny issue I also hear a slight whirring noise like a bad bearing would make yet it is not pronounced.What to do? BTW never powershift but do dragrace(lift&shift) w/BFG DR, and have had wheel hop issues so tranny has to come out got a price to upgrade tranny (Rockland gear) to transzilla specs.800 ft. lbs. torque but $2600 yikes! plus $$ to R&R trans & clutch PP & T.O.brg.looking at $4000 anybody know the $$ of a brand new trans?Have used car including racing shifts fine,drives fine,also after drag racing or driving hard noise goes away anybody got any ideas.Also this wheel hop prob.,lowered rear,QA1 single adj. shocks ,weight in rear hop still there 90% runs at track no hop but 90% of time on street (Michelin pilot sports) wheel hops anybody know exactly WTH is happening back there are they (rear wheels)going up & down,Forward & backward.I'm sure somebody has had these probs.SOO PLEASE.... If you can offer any advice/input,had tranny probs. what you did, just repair,upgrade or buy new plus anything on wheel hop asked, asked and asked got lot of vague answers.Car is coming apart soon would be nice if I had some suggestions on what to look for instead of going in blind. thanks to all
Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

A new M12 trans from Gene Culley will run you a little over $3700.00 so I'd stick with rebuilt. Take a look at RPM Transmissions, Rodney will treat you right. Make sure you tell him you're from the forum.

The "wheel hop" you are experiencing is actually driveline shake. DTE can take care of that for you. http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

Best of luck

Quick Reply: Tranny,tranny,tranny dilemma and i don't mean transvestite