Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sending unit? how important?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM
vettebuyer27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sending unit? how important?

Is the oil pressure sending unit only really going to mask if there is an actual issue with oil pressure down the line, or will it cause immediate short term issues, and tell the computer to send too much or too little oil in the short term?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

HUH? You're kidding right?
But, just in case you aren't.......the purpose of the sending unit is to MONITOR and REPORT oil pressure in the engine. It does no more than that. This info is invaluable, cause if you were to continue to drive with no oil pressure, you seize the engine. If you didn't know there was no pressure, you wouldn't know not to shut the car down.
Same goes for too high a pressure. Shows you there is a blockage or malfunction of the oiling system, so you can shut if down before doing catostrophic damage.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
vettebuyer27
Intermediate

Correct, what im saying is though, i have seen on other forums several people say its simply just for your eye, for you see where the oil pressure is, but that the computer will continue to send proper oil, is this correct or not? Others have driven with it not working for thousands of miles with no problems.

Just getting other opinions

Originally Posted by sneakelman
HUH? You're kidding right?
But, just in case you aren't.......the purpose of the sending unit is to MONITOR and REPORT oil pressure in the engine. It does no more than that. This info is invaluable, cause if you were to continue to drive with no oil pressure, you seize the engine. If you didn't know there was no pressure, you wouldn't know not to shut the car down.
Same goes for too high a pressure. Shows you there is a blockage or malfunction of the oiling system, so you can shut if down before doing catostrophic damage.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

If just the sending unit is bad then yes the engine will continue to run with proper pressure, but how will you know that if you drive with a bad sending unit?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,112 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Robls6
If just the sending unit is bad then yes the engine will continue to run with proper pressure, but how will you know that if you drive with a bad sending unit?
Same as a fuel or temp gauge. You wouldn't drive your car around waiting for it to run out of gas or overheat would you?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you loose oil pressure and keep driving it can cost you a new engine, $5,000-7,000.

Here are some things that can (and have happened).

Oil Change people don't put drain plug in tight, it falls out and you loose oil.

Oil filter isn't tight enough, it comes loose and you loose oil.

You drive over piece of metal, it puts a hole in the oil pan, you loose oil.

Oil pump malfunctions, you loose oil pressure.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer27
Correct, what im saying is though, i have seen on other forums several people say its simply just for your eye, for you see where the oil pressure is, but that the computer will continue to send proper oil, is this correct or not? Others have driven with it not working for thousands of miles with no problems.

Just getting other opinions
Huh? The computer does not control the oil pressure. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump, so if it is turning, it is pumping oil. The amount pumped varies with RPM of the engine.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
JayBDUB661
Instructor

Default Although...

Something that I just noticed yesterday....

Yet another item to add to my Spring Maintainence of my baby....

My oil pressure gauge is- [while running, always maxed out.....turn engine off, gauge back to zero....]

Of course, this immediately made me a bit worried....

Although, my buddy @ the "Stealership" said it's fairly common, as long as you're not experincing any difference in driving, losing oil, etc....then odds are it's just the sensor....

Well, I am not ABOUT TO RISK driving around & ruining my engine....
So, I'm sure plenty of others have had this same issue, since I just did a search on the topic....
Only question is....
Any help/input/FYI's etc as far as it goes concerning replacing the sensor,,,.....from my knowledge/research/etc...this is no small endeavor......it requires yanking the intake manifold, etc.....

Damn.....

Also, anybody have any input/or a passenger side front headlight motor up for grabs/sale/trade?

I might as well get both these issues dealt with simulaneously....I hate my car being out of my possession-[or eyesight for that matter......]

Here we go....Oh well...

Thanks in advance fellas...
Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by JayBDUB661

Something that I just noticed yesterday....

Yet another item to add to my Spring Maintainence of my baby....

My oil pressure gauge is- [while running, always maxed out.....turn engine off, gauge back to zero....]

Of course, this immediately made me a bit worried....

Although, my buddy @ the "Stealership" said it's fairly common, as long as you're not experincing any difference in driving, losing oil, etc....then odds are it's just the sensor....

Well, I am not ABOUT TO RISK driving around & ruining my engine....
So, I'm sure plenty of others have had this same issue, since I just did a search on the topic....
Only question is....
Any help/input/FYI's etc as far as it goes concerning replacing the sensor,,,.....from my knowledge/research/etc...this is no small endeavor......it requires yanking the intake manifold, etc.....

Damn.....

Also, anybody have any input/or a passenger side front headlight motor up for grabs/sale/trade?

I might as well get both these issues dealt with simulaneously....I hate my car being out of my possession-[or eyesight for that matter......]

Here we go....Oh well...

Thanks in advance fellas...
Oil pressure maxed out is a certain sign the sending unit has taken crapped out. Plenty of write ups on this. Search sending unit replacement for the fix.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
JayBDUB661
Instructor

Originally Posted by sneakelman
Oil pressure maxed out is a certain sign the sending unit has taken crapped out. Plenty of write ups on this. Search sending unit replacement for the fix.
THANKS-

HOPEFULLY THIS IS SOMEHING I CAN DO MYSELF......BUT, THEN AGAIN....

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Robls6
I know I wouldn't want to be driving around without knowing what my oil pressure was.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JayBDUB661
THANKS-

HOPEFULLY THIS IS SOMEHING I CAN DO MYSELF......BUT, THEN AGAIN....

It's actually very easy if you take the route of cutting an access port in the lower cowling. Some purists don't like this method, but it's a lot less of a PITA than pulling the intake.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
JayBDUB661
Instructor

It seems from what I've heard & the small bit of research I've done, this is not going to like swapping out a battery or alternator......

Hmmmm....oh well.....any others have any first-hand experience with this "exciting endeavor" I'm going to have to handle asap......hell, it's march, but might as well knock it out now while its in the 60's here as opposed to waiting another month or 2 & it being 95-105 everyday for 7 months......

<----------[Staying Optomistic!] No big deal really.....owned her for almost 4 years now & only small things have needed fixing.....might as well begin drafting a buddy or 2-3, it's always more fun to work on a vette with a couple buds...[If I offered to buy the beer they'd prob. be here in under 30 min. - HA, ha.....]

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by wcsinx
It's actually very easy if you take the route of cutting an access port in the lower cowling. Some purists don't like this method, but it's a lot less of a PITA than pulling the intake.

I didn't want to do any cutting, so I had the dealer fix it. If I remember, it was about $125.00. I know...I got screwed, but what the hell!

By the way, that was about a year ago and it went out AGAIN about 6 months ago. This time it was free....still under warranty.

You need to make sure you do NOT over-torque them when installing.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
JayBDUB661
Instructor

Originally Posted by IrishMac

I didn't want to do any cutting, so I had the dealer fix it. If I remember, it was about $125.00. I know...I got screwed, but what the hell!

By the way, that was about a year ago and it went out AGAIN about 6 months ago. This time it was free....still under warranty.

You need to make sure you do NOT over-torque them when installing.
Yeah, I prob will just take it in & have it done @ the stealership......might as well, I've been too busy lately with work, plus might as well have em fix my front passenger headlight motor..[stripped out...]
Not too mention- word on the street is the Camaro is down there- I might just have to give it a spin......
Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

$125. isnt bad. remember the dealer usually warranties the part they install for life but labor costs you each time.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Chance
Team Owner

Location: I was a young troubadour when I rode in on a song, and I'll be an old troubadour when I'm gone.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I replaced my oil pressure sending unit in about 45 minutes last weekend. I didn't want to pull the intake, so I cut the access hole.

Just get your car fixed. You'll be VERY glad you did.

Get notified of new replies

To oil pressure sending unit? how important?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 AM
vetter79
Burning Brakes

Here's an option!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-relocate.html
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Vettman 1
Le Mans Master

It's important to know you have oil pressure. Replacement is easy by cutting a hole in the cowl. Pull the wiper blades, pull 5 push pins to remove the lower windshield trim. Cut the hole ( I used a hole saw) directly over the sending unit. Replace the "cut-out" piece and tape over it with metal hvac tape. Took maybe 1/2 hr. Replacing it in the future if necessary would be much quicker.

Last edited by Vettman 1; 01-25-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettman 1
It's important to know you have oil pressure. Replacement is easy by cutting a hole in the cowl. Pull the wiper blades, pull 5 push pins to remove the lower windshield trim. Cut the hole ( I used a hole saw) directly over the sending unit. Replace the "cut-out" piece and tape over it with metal hvac tape. Took maybe 1/2 hr. Replacing it in the future if necessary would be much quicker.
Good picture, shows right where to cut.

What did you use to cut the hole?

Is that hose tough to get out of the way?

RonJ ...

Quick Reply: oil pressure sending unit? how important?