Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50,000 mile service?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
TPA Z06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 50,000 mile service?

Anyone know what it entails? And a rough estimate of price for it?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:59 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette N00b
Anyone know what it entails? And a rough estimate of price for it?
jmo, dont waste your money!!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

probably $200-300 bucks
Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

You did not mention wheather the car has a manual or automatic transmission or anything that that has been recently serviced on the car. Do you know the maintenance history of the car? If nothing has ever been changed then you should change all of the fluids. A complete fluid service would be: engine oil, trans, differential, clutch, coolant, brakes and power steering. Plugs and wires are good for 100,000 miles. You should check the brake pads for wear.

The differential fluid is good for around 50,000 miles. It also wouldn't hurt to replace the power steering fluid. A coolant flush and change is recommended every five years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. Make sure to use 50/50 mix of DexCool and distilled water only. A brake fluild flush & change is recommended every two years and if you have a manual trans, the same goes for the clutch fluid since it absorbs water over time. Depending on the type of transmission you have:

Manual trans: Most manufacturers recommend that manual transmission fluid be changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. Under heavy-duty use, some manufacturers suggest changing manual transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. I would suggest to change it but you will have to determine.

Automatic trans: Service intervals for an automatic transmission vary from every 30,000 miles on up. The typical service interval is 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Changing it more often does no harm. I would suggest changing it but this is also up to you.

You should also inspect the serpentine belt, it's about due for replacement at that mileage interval if it wasn't replaced already. While you are at it, also change the fuel filter and air filter. These are all normal maintenance items for any car at this mileage.

This link should give you an idea of the cost to have some of these services done: http://www.thevettedoctors.com/05_general_repair.shtml

You can save money and do it yourself. Do some searches on this Forum, there are plenty of DIY threads detailing the step by step procedure of every maintenance and repair item you can think of, most with excellent step by step photos.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
TPA Z06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
You did not mention wheather the car has a manual or automatic transmission or anything that that has been recently serviced on the car. Do you know the maintenance history of the car? If nothing has ever been changed then you should change all of the fluids. A complete fluid service would be: engine oil, trans, differential, clutch, coolant, brakes and power steering. Plugs and wires are good for 100,000 miles. You should check the brake pads for wear.

The differential fluid is good for around 50,000 miles. It also wouldn't hurt to replace the power steering fluid. A coolant flush and change is recommended every five years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. Make sure to use 50/50 mix of DexCool and distilled water only. A brake fluild flush & change is recommended every two years and if you have a manual trans, the same goes for the clutch fluid since it absorbs water over time. Depending on the type of transmission you have:

Manual trans: Most manufacturers recommend that manual transmission fluid be changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. Under heavy-duty use, some manufacturers suggest changing manual transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. I would suggest to change it but you will have to determine.

Automatic trans: Service intervals for an automatic transmission vary from every 30,000 miles on up. The typical service interval is 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Changing it more often does no harm. I would suggest changing it but this is also up to you.

You should also inspect the serpentine belt, it's about due for replacement at that mileage interval if it wasn't replaced already. While you are at it, also change the fuel filter and air filter. These are all normal maintenance items for any car at this mileage.

This link should give you an idea of the cost to have some of these services done: http://www.thevettedoctors.com/05_general_repair.shtml

You can save money and do it yourself. Do some searches on this Forum, there are plenty of DIY threads detailing the step by step procedure of every maintenance and repair item you can think of, most with excellent step by step photos.
It's a manual and I'm not 100% certain of the maintenance history. To be on the safe side (as I'm not mechanically inclined), I'd opt for a local shop to do the service for peace of mind if nothing else. Thanks for the in-depth info!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

It's a manual and I'm not 100% certain of the maintenance history. To be on the safe side (as I'm not mechanically inclined), I'd opt for a local shop to do the service for peace of mind if nothing else. Thanks for the in-depth info!
You're welcome. You should find a good Corvette shop in your area to do the work. They will treat your car better, be most familiar with working on it and know how to properly lift it without damaging paint or body panels. Check on the the Events and Regional Forum section for recommendations of shops from Corvette Forum members or clubs near you. You did not fill out where you live so for example this is a link to the northeast section: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/northeast-40/
Be careful, there are a lot of places to stay clear of including some dealerships.
The following users liked this post:
DesertDon (01-16-2021)
Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
You're welcome. You should find a good Corvette shop in your area to do the work. They will treat your car better, be most familiar with working on it and know how to properly lift it without damaging paint or body panels. Check on the the Events and Regional Forum section for recommendations of shops from Corvette Forum members or clubs near you. You did not fill out where you live so for example this is a link to the northeast section: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/northeast-40/
Be careful, there are a lot of places to stay clear of including some dealerships.
Good advice Don't waste your hard earned $$$ at the dealer.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to ask them about the differential additive, if they have that "Deer in the Headlights" look you may want to consider another shop.

Get notified of new replies

To 50,000 mile service?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 50,000 mile service?