Sponsored by:

1st time -Drove a hour on highway - noisier than my pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 1st time -Drove a hour on highway - noisier than my pickup truck

Bought a 2004 A4 coupe last December. Today, I used it for a business meeting, spent about 2 hours total on highway. The highway noise is almost unbearable. I'm not all that spoiled, it's not like I normally drive a Lexus. My DD is a Chevy K1500 4WD pickup truck, so I'm used to a moderate amount of road noise.

But the Vette is LOUD. I mean, there's exhaust roar from the Magnaflows. Wind noise from leaky windows. And loads of road noise coming from everywhere. I could BARELY talk on my cell phone, just barely.

I had already switched the Goodyear EMT run-flats to General UHP's non-RF's, and I noticed an immediate decrease in noise there.

I know there are tons and tons of sound deadening threads already. But I gotta say, I'm about ready to just fill up the hatch area with sound deadening foam. I realize this is a "sports car", but I just thought they'd pay a little more attention to noise at highway speeds. The noise level in my car is too much to take.

I guess I'm just ranting, but if someone has had similar complaints and then managed to reduce the cacophony to a tolerable level, please let me know how.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Noise deadening material costs weight. Weight decreases performance in everyway. Less acceleration, slower deceleration, slower cornering speeds, more gas. Without any of those the Vette wouldn't have the image it has. Most people buy the car for the promise its image delivers not for it to be like a Cadillac. For a large number of people it isn't loud enough. Although, after owning 3 C5s I really never heard any wind noise unless the windows were down. They are very tight that way and you usually can't close the door easily if a window isn't open slightly.

Bill
Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I intentionally made mine louder
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
The noise level in my car is too much to take.
Stock C6 w/o NPP/Z51 is your ticket.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
vetter79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Bought a 2004 A4 coupe last December. Today, I used it for a business meeting, spent about 2 hours total on highway. The highway noise is almost unbearable. I'm not all that spoiled, it's not like I normally drive a Lexus. My DD is a Chevy K1500 4WD pickup truck, so I'm used to a moderate amount of road noise.

But the Vette is LOUD. I mean, there's exhaust roar from the Magnaflows. Wind noise from leaky windows. And loads of road noise coming from everywhere. I could BARELY talk on my cell phone, just barely.

I had already switched the Goodyear EMT run-flats to General UHP's non-RF's, and I noticed an immediate decrease in noise there.

I know there are tons and tons of sound deadening threads already. But I gotta say, I'm about ready to just fill up the hatch area with sound deadening foam. I realize this is a "sports car", but I just thought they'd pay a little more attention to noise at highway speeds. The noise level in my car is too much to take.

I guess I'm just ranting, but if someone has had similar complaints and then managed to reduce the cacophony to a tolerable level, please let me know how.

Go back to stock exhaust - that'll take care of a lot of it!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck with your car a stock exhaust will help greatly
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM
edward k
Intermediate

I dont have any wind noise but the overall noise was high. I installed dynamat in rear cargo area and this really helped. I have stock exhaust so no noise there. The wife and i can now talk to each other. Good luck ed k
Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

I would look into trading (or selling) your current exhaust and purchasing either the stock z06 exhaust in the For Sale section of this forum or purchasing a quieter exhaust (I have the Corsa INDY and love them) that will give you great sound at 3/4 and WOT but at cruising speeds is barely noticeable.

I also installed the "Frost King" insulation along with a little Dynomat Extreme at minimal cost ($100), effort (3 - 4 hrs front and back) and weight (20# maybe 35# total) and I am very happy with my results.

Make sure the gasket on the targa top is seated correctly. I installed mine in a rush last summer to find one side was not seated correctly. Took 2 seconds to correct. Or perhaps you need to replace a window seal or adjust a window.

Once you get the bugs worked out you will love your vette every time you hop in it.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you test drive this car before you bought it. If so to what extent.

My 03 vert is pure stock. My wife and I have spent an 8 hour driving day in the car with quiet conversation and comfortably low music volume. Perhaps some of the forgoing suggestion will enable you to equally enjoy yours.

Wish you the best.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by vetter79
Go back to stock exhaust - that'll take care of a lot of it!
Install a stock C5 or C5 Z06 titanium exhaust. Most of the aftermarket exhaust systems produce significant drone in C5's with automatic transmissions right at the rpm range where you are crusing at on the highway.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM
JerG
Pro

I'm new to C5 and this forum. I just bought a 99 Coupe with
Magnaflows and drove it from PA to NJ, that's about a 3 hour drive.

They are loud and talk about a drone doing between 50-60 MPH. If you
do 65 + it's not too bad. My impression...they sound great when
you're out of the car, on start-up, idle, or driving past you. They're
horrible with the windows up and not too bad with the windows
down. Sometimes, they do make you want to switch them for
stock or something better (Corsa)? I do think the C5 looks much
better with some big pipes in the back rather than the wimpy stock
exhaust.

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

turn the radio up....
Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I have Magnaflows on my '99 6spd and have no drone.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also consider getting a Lloyds cargo mat for the back trunk area. I have one, it's a real thick carpet that helps with noise reduction and looks nice. (see avatar for floor mats by Lloyds).
Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Noise deadening material costs weight. Weight decreases performance in everyway. Less acceleration, slower deceleration, slower cornering speeds, more gas. Without any of those the Vette wouldn't have the image it has. Most people buy the car for the promise its image delivers not for it to be like a Cadillac. For a large number of people it isn't loud enough. Although, after owning 3 C5s I really never heard any wind noise unless the windows were down. They are very tight that way and you usually can't close the door easily if a window isn't open slightly.

Bill
No wind noise... unless the top is out.

Tire noise and exhaust noise... The exhaust noise is really noticeable at 130 mph and above.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
LTCHAPPA
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I would do the sound deadining mod to the rear and around the rear wheel wells.You can get the Raamaudio product for half the price of Dynamat.You can also get a discount if you mention that you are a forum member.
Raamaudio.com
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Stan MI
Pro

I have an 04 with stock exhaust and run flats. I think it rides pretty quiet. Sounds very good when you get on it but on the highway it's almost too quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st time -Drove a hour on highway - noisier than my pickup truck

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

[QUOTE

But the Vette is LOUD. I mean, there's exhaust roar from the Magnaflows. Wind noise from leaky windows. And loads of road noise coming from everywhere. I could BARELY talk on my cell phone, just barely.[/QUOTE]

Mine too, ain't it great.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1
I intentionally made mine louder
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

After installation of headers and Corsa exhaust, I considered nearly loud enough. Seriously, I'm not sure where you are coming from. Magnaflows are barely louder than stock.

Quick Reply: 1st time -Drove a hour on highway - noisier than my pickup truck