Sponsored by:

Leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
khafe458
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaks!

I got my 2000 FRC vette 6 months ago and since then have noticed that the car in the rain has water leaks everywhere. I have a leak in both the drivers side and passanger side corner of the trunk lid closest to the front of the car. I have a leak at the bottom front of the passanger door. And both windows leak in the upper corner. Its so bad that the floor carpet gets soaked under the seats and I have to let it air out so the car dries out and the car doesnt get a musty smell from the water. I checked all the seals and they look okay.

Is there anything I can do to condition the seals so they are more water tight or is it better to just bite the bullet and just replace all the seals?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GM suggests using dielectric grease to condition the weatherstripping...Not sure whether this will help with the leaks...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by khafe458
I got my 2000 FRC vette 6 months ago and since then have noticed that the car in the rain has water leaks everywhere. I have a leak in both the drivers side and passanger side corner of the trunk lid closest to the front of the car. I have a leak at the bottom front of the passanger door. And both windows leak in the upper corner. Its so bad that the floor carpet gets soaked under the seats and I have to let it air out so the car dries out and the car doesnt get a musty smell from the water. I checked all the seals and they look okay.

Is there anything I can do to condition the seals so they are more water tight or is it better to just bite the bullet and just replace all the seals?

Thanks,
Kevin
Welcome to the world of the hartop Corvette (aka FRC & Z06's)

GM used a very stiff fast drying epoxy to bond both the FRC's roof and upper tub enclosure.

These are probably your main sources of leakage in the rear.

I'm in the midst of making the repairs on my Bro's 2001 Z06 that leaks like a boat with holes in it.

The front leaks by the doors ways are probably due to the molding around the door. You can take them off and reseal them but it's a PIA job and you have to be very careful not to break anything.

Also check your door molding and the rubber moldings to be sure that they are not cracked.

Anyway you look at it, it's a time consuming repair as you'll have to remove the entire interior, and the rear fenders to gain access to all of the seams.

3M makes some nice products (5200) sealant and go to harbor freight and order a caulk gun (air tools) to pump the stuff in.

It takes a couple of days to dry. Clean and prep the surfaces as instructed.

I'd get you some pictures, but I'm not home until Ma1 1st.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at DeeGee's post for the window leaks - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...er-window.html

And for the leaks around your feet, try cleaning your udders - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html
Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I, too have leaks (several). Once I found out the the entire interior has to be removed to reseal the hardtop, I decided I'd wait to do that until I go to install the stereo system I'm collecting parts for.

I've been procrastinating on that whole thing, so the vette sits in the garage when not driving it (which is whenever it is expected to rain)...

Get notified of new replies

To Leaks!

Quick Reply: Leaks!