Did the AntiVenom mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Did the AntiVenom mod

Not that i really need it as I think my MGW shifter is right near perfect but thought I'd try this to see how much of an effect it had on the shift action.

This is the original instruction pic posted by forum member AntiVenom.

I picked up a couple of different types of washers - two M20 copper and two M20 crush washers - to have a couple of options to try. The only other tools needed are a 24 mm socket and possibly a flashlight to locate the detent screw.

The car was already on the lift so no jacking was required. You'll need to get it high enough to reach the shift detent if you decide to try this. The detent is located on the upper passenger side of the tranny just under the reverse-shift solenoid as indicated in the pic below.

You'll need to reach in between the over-axle exhaust pipe and tranny with the 24 mm socket to unscrew the detent.

The detent is a few inches directly above where my middle finger is pointing in this pic.

Here's what the detent screw looks like. It's a spring-loaded ball detent plunger. The section above the threaded portion is the plunger that translates in and out under spring load.

I decided to start with two copper washers - they measured about .047" each or .094" stacked.

Popped the washers on.

I reinstalled the detent screw, lowered the car and tried the shifter. It seemed a bit too soft for my liking so I raised the car and removed one of the washers. When I tried it again, it seemed OK so I decided to leave it in for a while to see how it feels on the road. As I mentioned before, the MGW is pretty much ideal to me so this is just an experiment to explore yet another variation on the C5 shifter action.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Esp0
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly does this do? I just installed a B&M and to me its PERFECT, but I am just curious as to what this will do.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:43 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent info and pics Ed

Chuck
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I liked this mod. I found it helped with the notchiness (is that a word?) between the gears. I mean when shifting from gear to gear I always noticed a notch feeling in the middle if shifting. Now I don't feel that anymore and its more of a smooth action from one gear to the next.

Toque
Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Did the AntiVenom mod

I just did this modification myself, having recently picked up last year a 4000-mile Coupe whose shifting was so balky and unpleasant that I almost ditched it out of frustration. A change to premium lube (Royal Purple) helped, but I was looking for better.
Like Marc, I found two washers made the feel a little "loose" or sloppy and went to one. Either one or two washers make initial first-gear selection a little easier but for me at least did nothing to make gear-to-gear engagement smoother.
I didn't get much from the mod, but it is so easy and inexpensive there's no reason not to try it and see what you think.
Regards, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina
Old 05-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Esp0
What exactly does this do? I just installed a B&M and to me its PERFECT, but I am just curious as to what this will do.
Some folks complain aftermarket shifters can be difficult to get into gear to to a notchy action that requires more force to engage than desired. Adding the washer(s) softens the effect of the detent plunger and makes it a bit easier to push the shifter into gear.

If you think the Ripper is perfect then you can skip this mod. I think my MGW is optimum as well but, as folks who know me here know, I often like to try mods myself and report on installation and results.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Always hated the stiffness of the factory shift. After a new clutch which I needed I switched to Royal Purple. Noticeable improvement but still annoying. So I bought a used Hurst with a ZO6 base. I used the lite springs. Still annoying. About 3 weeks ago I did the Anti Venom mod. 100% satisfaction.

Advice to those who dislike their shifter because it's too stiff. Save your money on the after market shifters, Royal Purple fluid and do the $1.29 mod first. Then move to the other stuff if you're still unhappy.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 AM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job!! Its always nice to save a ton of money!!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 AM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Excellent write-up and review, I'm sure this will prove valuable to many here.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Nice write up Ed

Peace
Chip

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the B&M shifter and it was really hard to shift. Did this mod a couple months ago and it made a huge difference. Very nice now.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 AM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on doing this mod myself in the next few days. Right after I install my custom screened vararam.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 AM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

First rate write-up....as we've come to expect from you.........Thanks again....
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Does anyone know if this affects the side to side centering action of the stock shifter? Iam talking about if you go from any gear an pull it toward the center then release it will automatically snap into the center. This stock feature helps with automatically finding the right gear when your shifting. Iam just curious if this "mod" kills the centering spring action.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm subscribing to this one - great thread and info!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Subscribing so I can get the washer part numbers later on. Thanks for the write up!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Does anyone know if this affects the side to side centering action of the stock shifter? Iam talking about if you go from any gear an pull it toward the center then release it will automatically snap into the center. This stock feature helps with automatically finding the right gear when your shifting. Iam just curious if this "mod" kills the centering spring action.
This mod has its effect only when going into, or out of gear, and would have no effect upon the centering of the shifter once its out of gear...

Get notified of new replies

To Did the AntiVenom mod

Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried this mod with my Hurst and ended up removing it. It was OK for daily driving, but not drag racing. I need to feel the gear shift. This mod is really just personal preference. Some like it, some don't. Unfortunately you have to try it to find out.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
..........So I bought a used Hurst with a ZO6 base...........
What's that?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
What's that?
I believe he's referring to the Hurst shifter with the section of the stock shifter that any aftermarket shifter sits on top of. It hase the two mounting slots along with the receiver shaft for the lower shifter ball/bushing, the adjustment lockout pin hole and the output shaft that attaches to the shift rod coupler that goes to the tranny. The C5 version is pictured belo but the Z06 version is almost identical.

Quick Reply: Did the AntiVenom mod