Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the most common power steering fluid A4 C5 leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's the most common power steering fluid A4 C5 leak?

Guys,

I've got a little power steering leak I'm pretty sure and I'm having a real tough time pin pointing where it's coming from...?

Are there any common spots up around the front slightly to the driver's side? That's where the spot is after sitting anyway...I stared down from the top from both sides with a flash light and a little mirror and couldn't locate any type of a drip...

Thanks for any advice,

Donnie
Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Anyone?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
83Camaro
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about common, but i didnt get any help with this issue either so i looked myself. Looked at the power steering cooler area where the rubber hoses are, those will crack and harden, thats where mine leaked so i replaced the hose.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Thanks man. Yeah, I've been up in there with a little mirror and all and I just can't figure out where it's coming from! It's definitely leaking and it must be PS fluid (based on color and location), it's the only reservoir that ends up low and it takes like 2 weeks before I have to add like half a cup.

But it sure makes a nice little puddle on the dang floor! I'll check out the cooler lines.

Thanks again,
Donnie
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
83Camaro
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The rack can leak on that side, the pump can leak on that side the fittings can leak, the reservoir can overflow. Had all of them at one time or another. You get a massive leak when the pump seal blows.

Bill
Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Guys,

First off...I might be an idiot. lol.

I still haven't been able to get up under the car and take a good look...I think that it is actually leaking coolant, the fluid "seemed" to have some consistancy to it so I immediately cancelled out coolant BUT...

It evaporates every day by the morning when I go out to go to work, can't be PS fluid...

The weird thing is that my PS reservoir is getting VERY SLOWLY lower, but my coolant reservoir was about 1/2 gallon or more low...I hadn't checked it cause it's been getting really hot and the car never gets over 200 with the new water pump.

Anyway, I'm off this Sunday and I topped it off with water this morning...I'm gonna put a white piece of paper underneath it tonight when I get home and this weekend I'll jack it up and get a really good look from underneath and see what's up...

Thanks so much for all the help and I'll check back as soon as I figure out what's leaking...

Donnie
Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Alright! I got it all figured out and I am a dummy.

My leak was dripping from my upper radiator hose! It was dripping down on to the ABS pump, then on to the PS bracket/rack, then onto the cooling lines, then on to the frame and through it down on to the ground...

It was just really tough to figure out where it was coming from cause I was just sure for some reason that it(the leak) was "below" the upper radiator hose...

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again and one new upper radiator hose and I should be all good to go.

Donnie

Get notified of new replies

To What's the most common power steering fluid A4 C5 leak?

Quick Reply: What's the most common power steering fluid A4 C5 leak?