Sponsored by:

How to replace driver side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 AM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace driver side mirror

My driver side mirror got some water under it and is totally ruined and the black plastic lining around the mirror is ruined as well. I was wondering how you would replace this. Does GM sell a new mirror, or does the entire mirror unit need to be replaced?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Push in on one edge of the mirror glass titling the mirror case to allow finger access. (Upper right edge push in.) Grasp the glass firmly and pull the case from the mirror body. It mounts with a cross bar mechanism that is pressure seated.

Remove the two jackscrews from the mirror glass case. Bend the jackscrew over. PRess down on the side of the jackscrew popping the jackscrew from the mirror glass case. Save the jackscrew.

There is a wire assembly attached, with the mirror loose, disconnect the wire.

The jackscrew springs must be positioned down compressing the fingers at the bottom of the jackscrew. Push to install into the mirror motor. Rotate both jackscrews to position the ball flanges to be inline with the attaching hub. Upper is vertical and outside is horizontal.

Connect the wire to the new glass case.

With a gloved hand and your palm, press firmly on the center of the mirror glass until it engages onto the motor.

Be gentle.

Right and left side are different, be sure to order the correct glass.

Let me add some specifics about the installation for right and left mirrors:

Right mirror. Rotate the mirror glass case down and press firmly on the lower side engaging the mirror glass case to the lower jackscew.

Left mirror. Rotate the mirror glass case up and press firmly on the upper side engaging the mirror glass case to the upper jackscrew.

Rotate the mirror glass case and press firmly on the outer side engaging the mirror glass case to the outer jackscrew. The jackscrews will give a clicking noise when properly seated.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 05-22-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Sorry wrong procedure, had to retype it.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Added a little more FSM explanations.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Push in on one edge of the mirror glass titling the mirror case to allow finger access. (Upper right edge push in.) Grasp the glass firmly and pull the case from the mirror body. It mounts with a cross bar mechanism that is pressure seated.

Remove the two jackscrews from the mirror glass case. Bend the jackscrew over. PRess down on the side of the jackscrew popping the jackscrew from the mirror glass case. Save the jackscrew.

There is a wire assembly attached, with the mirror loose, disconnect the wire.

The jackscrew springs must be positioned down compressing the fingers at the bottom of the jackscrew. Push to install into the mirror motor. Rotate both jackscrews to position the ball flanges to be inline with the attaching hub. Upper is vertical and outside is horizontal.

Connect the wire to the new glass case.

With a gloved hand and your palm, press firmly on the center of the mirror glass until it engages onto the motor.

Be gentle.

Right and left side are different, be sure to order the correct glass.

Let me add some specifics about the installation for right and left mirrors:

Right mirror. Rotate the mirror glass case down and press firmly on the lower side engaging the mirror glass case to the lower jackscew.

Left mirror. Rotate the mirror glass case up and press firmly on the upper side engaging the mirror glass case to the upper jackscrew.

Rotate the mirror glass case and press firmly on the outer side engaging the mirror glass case to the outer jackscrew. The jackscrews will give a clicking noise when properly seated.
can the mirror be purchased from gm? I remember the last time I called the dealership, they said the entire mirror including the housing the mirror goes into (the body piece that ispainted), had to be replaced. It cost something around 300 dollars
Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by uracowman
can the mirror be purchased from gm? I remember the last time I called the dealership, they said the entire mirror including the housing the mirror goes into (the body piece that ispainted), had to be replaced. It cost something around 300 dollars
Yes.

Mirror glass Right, 97-04 MSRP 89.35 Online GM price 54.83
Mirror glass Left, 97-04 MSRP 81.15 Online GM price 49.78

(I used GMPartDirect.com for pricing and availability.)

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace driver side mirror

Quick Reply: How to replace driver side mirror