HELP! Problems Installing LPE tub Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM
ArcticWhite
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default HELP! Problems Installing LPE tub Kit

I went to install my LPE tub kit and have noticed the following problems:

1. The fiberglass tub extension does not match the contour and size of the wheel well. If it is lined up properly on the left side, the top of the tub extension is 1/2 an inch higher than the wheel well itself. Also, the curve on the right side touches in the middle and then is 1/2 inch out at the bottom. It does flex a bit, so I _maybe_ could force it, but it just doesn't seem right.

2. According to the LPE instructions, the top wheel well cut line is 2.5" back from the vertical plane of the wheel well and the bottom cut line is 2" back from the vertical plane of the wheel well. Both of these cuts cause problems. The top cut line is OK but then you have to be able to slide the tub extension 1" past the cut for it to overlap the wheel well. This puts the tub extension into the metal bracket that supports the hatch strut. If I cut that metal braket, the hatch strut mount will be compromised.

3, The bottom cut line comes right up against the threaded hole for the top storage mount. The inside edge of the tub extension has to sit flush with the cut. This means the lip on the tub extension is fully over that hole. The instructions say to notch the tub extension lip for that hole, but if I was to do that, the notch would completely eliminate any lip. That can't be right???

Has anyone else ran into these problems? I bought this kit off of someone from the forum that decided they didn't want to do it. I guess the first thing is: Is this truly an LPE tub kit? Did your fender extensions look like the ones in these pictures?

So, the answers I'm looking for from anyone with LPE tub kit experience are:

1. Do my extensions look like LPE extensions?
2. Did your kit have fit problems like mine?
3. Did you run into problems with the hatch strut mount bracket?
4. Was your cut that close to the top storage mount holes and how did you deal with this?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Double G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof mount help

I read a thread on here about a year ago that showed mounting the top front mount on a pedestal high enough so that the roof clears the tubs and then offsetting the mounts to the correct span. I also am getting ready to put my tubs in pretty soon. So I'm
Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 PM
ArcticWhite
Racer

On that point, extending the mount up is not the problem, the problem is the cut line is right at the hole, so if I install the tub extension and notch it to go around the hole, the notch would completely remove the lip from the tub extension.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:49 PM
ArcticWhite
Racer

Anyone?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ArcticWhite
Anyone?
Look Here.

http://www.tradezone.com/vette/tubing.html
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Double G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a thread on here about a year ago that showed mounting the top front mount on a pedestal high enough so that the roof clears the tubs and then offsetting the mounts to the correct span. I also am getting ready to put my tubs in pretty soon. So I'm .

You must not have understood. The bracket would look like an upside down " L " . The short leg of the L is on the top with the end of the leg pointing outboard. The long leg is mounted inboard of the original mounting location. It will be tall enough ( maybe 8 inches ) that the short leg will extend outboard over part of the wheelwell far enough to allow the original mount pocket to be attached directly above its original location. I like this because you will now be able to put stuff under the roof when its in the trunk. Make the bracket sturdy, and possibly use the new tub vertical inbd. side to mount against. I hope this makes it a little bit easier to understand.

I think the other guy just put a long threaded rod through the brkt. and the floor, a couple washers and tightened it it up. That way its removable.

Post your pro's and con's when your done. Maybe PM me so I don't miss it.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Problems Installing LPE tub Kit

Quick Reply: HELP! Problems Installing LPE tub Kit