Sponsored by:

"BEWARE SCAM" www.VetteHound.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 AM
C5smithjack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "BEWARE SCAM" www.VetteHound.com

I have my 2002 Corvette Listed on eBay for sale. This fraud site www.VetteHound.com has copied my ad word for word and stole all of my pictures and they say my Vette is in Florida when its really for sale in the North East. Another honest ebay memeber sent me an email today informing me. They said "hey I am considering buying this exact car for $8,000.00 on another site". This is a total scam and they copy eBay ad word for word and steal the pics and then ask and unreal low price. Other than reporting to eBay anything else I should/can do? Please advise. Thanks, I can/will forward a copy of the link of the fraud ad and my real ebay ad. If anyone cares to help me please recomend to me what to do. This forum is always so helpful with cool honest people so hopefully we can stop this crap.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
OutKlast
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, that "site" didn't steal your pictures. A scammer stole your pictures and put it up for sale on that site. I'd watch who you call a scammer.

Just like the Ebay scams for $5000 cars.

Edit: I'd email the admin of that site, admin@vettehound.com to have the ad removed.

Last edited by OutKlast; 06-26-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by C5smithjack
I have my 2002 Corvette Listed on eBay for sale. This fraud site www.VetteHound.com has copied my ad word for word and stole all of my pictures and they say my Vette is in Florida when its really for sale in the North East. Another honest ebay memeber sent me an email today informing me. They said "hey I am considering buying this exact car for $8,000.00 on another site". This is a total scam and they copy eBay ad word for word and steal the pics and then ask and unreal low price. Other than reporting to eBay anything else I should/can do? Please advise. Thanks, I can/will forward a copy of the link of the fraud ad and my real ebay ad. If anyone cares to help me please recomend to me what to do. This forum is always so helpful with cool honest people so hopefully we can stop this crap.
First thing I would do is contact them by phone and ask them whats up, Plain and simple.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was listed on vette hound, after I bought it, lol. Same deal, a person copied another car sites add that I used and posted word for word, but moved it from philly to New York. It was my car down to the vin picture. I contacted the admin of the site by email, and a week later, the add was still there. Needless to say, no place can keep all the scams off, but with vettehounds slow response to it, I would not buy there.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

as a matter of fact, here is my car that I own, that is not for sale. 10 months after I bought it. Still on their site http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=6315 Dont use vettehound!!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
jarsdad1
Drifting

Originally Posted by OutKlast
FYI, that "site" didn't steal your pictures. A scammer stole your pictures and put it up for sale on that site. I'd watch who you call a scammer.

Edit: I'd email the admin of that site, admin@vettehound.com to have the ad removed.
Other than that why worry about it. If the scammers aren't trying to sell $20k cars for $7k, then they are popping up at your computer doorstep with huge lottery winning$. Scams cannot work without "victims" (aka fools ) and it is these geniuses who are the problem.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
BonestockZ06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how you ask for advice and the first thing your told is to watch your mouth... Only in this great place of "cool honest people" would you get such a response.

I wouldn't stress it too much, is not like they have your car physically anyways. It is up to the buyer to take precaution when inquiring about the sale in this SCAMMER POLLUTED website that goes by VetteHound.com

Best of Luck
Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM
lucky99
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it looks,walks and quacks like a duck. CALL IT A DUCK!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

they list the seller as

Seller: albcann01z
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
digivex
Drifting

It’s a shame that there are so many scams.

I just sold a boat and, in the process, had to weed through quite a few “buyers” wanting to overpay me via Western Union or some other means, with me then giving them my bank info to refund the excess payment after shipping, etc., etc. My answer was: “If you show up with cash and a trailer hitch. It’s yours, otherwise no sale” which ended the scams. I would not be surprised if you don’t get these “buyer” scams as much as the seller scams you pointed out... Be careful.

It really is up to the buyer as well as the seller to not get caught in these scams and I feel bad for the folks who do… Not all are fools or idiots – sometimes bad things happen to decent people.

It’s a good call to at least send a note to the site and inform them of the scam. Beyond that, there’s not much else you can do. Just try not to get stressed. Sell the car to a legit buyer and enjoy the cash.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I took a look at that site and have to say there are a lot of cars listed for really stupid prices. Yes, the sellers are scammers but I think the website does bear some responsibility as well. They advertise themselves as a Corvette site and should have a pretty good idea of what these cars are worth and what they should sell for. So I'll say it, the site is part of the scam and I don't care who hears it.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 PM
brian ns04
Burning Brakes

See them on Auto Trader all the time as well
Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
VettesandZs
Pro

Scammers are everywhere, ebay, autotrader, racingjunk, can't stop it and these sites are too slow at doing anything about it.

I always put in my adds especially on certain sites:

I deal in cash only, face to face.

Sometimes I add if you try scam me my brother is a cop and will be there during the transaction.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
VettesandZs
Pro

Heck yea, I will buy that car for $7000. in a heartbeat.

Remember always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:10 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It's fraud and it's interstate. You might contact the FBI...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill avoid them thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 08:53 PM
KWIKSILVERZ
Racer

There's a government website we refer our residents to if they are solicited for what is an e-mail scam. Not sure if you can use it for this, but it couldn't hurt to try. I believe it's www.IC3.gov. It's an FBI based website if I'm not mistaken.

Get notified of new replies

To "BEWARE SCAM" www.VetteHound.com

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by digivex
It’s a shame that there are so many scams.

I just sold a boat and, in the process, had to weed through quite a few “buyers” wanting to overpay me via Western Union or some other means, with me then giving them my bank info to refund the excess payment after shipping, etc., etc. My answer was: “If you show up with cash and a trailer hitch. It’s yours, otherwise no sale” which ended the scams. I would not be surprised if you don’t get these “buyer” scams as much as the seller scams you pointed out... Be careful.

It really is up to the buyer as well as the seller to not get caught in these scams and I feel bad for the folks who do… Not all are fools or idiots – sometimes bad things happen to decent people.

It’s a good call to at least send a note to the site and inform them of the scam. Beyond that, there’s not much else you can do. Just try not to get stressed. Sell the car to a legit buyer and enjoy the cash.
Just do your best. You should not be hurt from this. It also must be kind of neat to discover the scam. A workmate and I followed a cell phone (text message) scam back as far as we could get. we tracked the email and phone numbers as bestwe could. Then we let the phone company try to hunt it down, but they probobly don't. I would post on your ad the scamming that you have found.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OutKlast

I think the OP has every right to call the "site" a scammer... even if they didn't cause the fraud, they should be responsible for their content.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I had a 96 Talon posted for sale on Craig's List. Some scammer copied all my stuff and also posted the Talon on the same Craig's List.......who knows where else.
I notified CL that it was a scam and they pulled the copy ad........but a few days later my original ad disappeared as well. I then got a email from CL that my ad had been reported as a scam......so they pulled it. Meanwhile I sold the car on eBay to a great guy in SC.

Quick Reply: "BEWARE SCAM" www.VetteHound.com