Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery died twice this week

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
taegee2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery died twice this week

I tried to start my 03 Z this past Monday and the battery was DOA. It was sitting in the garage for less than a week since I last drove it but have been working on it on and off (maintenance). The starter was trying and turning (clicking) but not enough voltage (DIC was indicationg low voltage). Bought the battery at Advance Auto last December (only 7 months old). I took it back to Advance Auto and they said it needed recharging (he said it had almost no amps to start the car). The Z was indicating only just over 10 volts on the DIC (don't know how accurate it is)...the battery was not completely dead, the lights were still on but dim, but not enough to start the car. After they charged it, I put it back in the car and it started right up.

I put it on a slow float charger. Today (Thursday), I tried to start it up and the same thing happened...starter turning but low voltage, even after being hooked up to a charger for the last 2 days (charger indicated battery was fully charged).

So I took it back to Advance Auto, they hooked it up and the same thing. I recently read somewhere in one of the Forum threads that a battery could be recharged fully but will drain out during a heavy load, i.e. when starting the car, if it has a bad cell (and thus the battery is done). I explained this to the store and the guy gave me a new battery since it was still under warranty (3 year free replacement, pro-rated after that).

Took the new battery home, hooked it up and let there be power (started right up).

My question is did I have a battery that just went bad after only 7 months or do I have something in the car that is draining the battery?

I know some had issues (in Fourum threads somewhere) with the power seat switch running down the battery. I only have the driver power seat on the Z and didn't notice any sound that indicated the seat moter was running. I also checked all the lights to make sure none was on when I shut the door. I usually keep the gear in 1st when parked (someone in a Forum thread said that this sucks up battery power as opposed to leaving it in Reverse)...not sure about this since I've never had any issues in the past leaving the car in 1st Gear when parked.

Any suggestions (if it still drains the battery)?
Where could the problem be if it wasn't a bad battery?

Last edited by taegee2; 07-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery,time will tell!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
taegee2
Instructor

Originally Posted by rebelheart
I'm hoping that is what it was...

I hate electrical problems...(too many possibilities and WAY TOO MANY wires in todays cars). Cost more to diagnose the problem than the actual fix itself. Heck, the computer to find out what's wrong with your car cost more than the car itself.

Whatever happened to the good old days when you could just about fix everything in your car with just the tools in your tool box. Technology is great, but sometimes it just sucks (way too complicated and unreliable).
Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You didn't say what type of battery you had. If its an AGM type (Optima Red Top) they are intolerant to discharge. Once you drain them they can die and its very hard to recharge them. If it was a lead acid type I guess it just died.

If you were working on the car, even the cabin lights could have put a strain on a weakened battery

What type of use does the car get. Short trips don't give the battery the chance to recharge properly and they can eventually drain. Infrequent use is also hard on it. In either case a battery tender is a good idea.

Its also worth checking whether theres any current draw. Bill Curlee posted a great thread on how to set up a test. Check out post #9:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...rent+draw+test

Last edited by DeeGee; 07-23-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:00 AM
taegee2
Instructor

It was not the Optima...just the standard Advance Auto Brand lead acid (Platinum series which is the best one they have besides the Optima). It does have a 3 year free replacement and pro-rated for 48 months after that (84 months total...don't know if they actually last that long).

Usually a weekend car. Trips around town and outings, car shows, cruise ins when I can. Last drove it about 5 or six days ago with no issues.

I did have a battery that died on me on my previous coupe I had. It worked fine and then just one day decided it had enough. Had to keep jump starting the car and recharging didn't help. Battery was "DED".

But this one was only 7 months old, actually 8 months because it was manufactured 11/08.
After charging it at Advance Auto, I did have it hooked up to a battery charger/tender for two days and it still died.

I'm leaning towards a bad battery that just decided to die before its time or had some defect. I guess I'll wait and see if this new one does the same or not...If not, then I should be good to go. If it dies, then I have a problem with a drain somewhere (another PITA).

Last edited by taegee2; 07-24-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:24 AM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

I'd have to say it was probably a bad battery. Last year I replaced my OEM Delco with the same battery you did (Advance Platinum) and it lasted 3, maybe 4 months, and it wouldn't crank the engine. Load-tested it, sure enough no good, probably a bad cell, even though it was almost new. It happens sometimes. Got another new one for free (like you), and have been good ever since.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,540 Likes on 2,156 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The only Corvette that needed to be parked in reverse to avoid battery run down was the 05 C6. I had one and it was an electrical nightmare.

Though your battery may have been relatively new, some new batteries are old before you buy them due to extended shelf time.

A C-Tek battery maintainer is a great device to keep your car's battery in a full state of charge when it is used infrequently.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by taegee2
It was not the Optima...just the standard Advance Auto Brand lead acid (Platinum series which is the best one they have besides the Optima). It does have a 3 year free replacement and pro-rated for 48 months after that (84 months total...don't know if they actually last that long).

Usually a weekend car. Trips around town and outings, car shows, cruise ins when I can. Last drove it about 5 or six days ago with no issues.

I did have a battery that died on me on my previous coupe I had. It worked fine and then just one day decided it had enough. Had to keep jump starting the car and recharging didn't help. Battery was "DED".

But this one was only 7 months old, actually 8 months because it was manufactured 11/08.
After charging it at Advance Auto, I did have it hooked up to a battery charger/tender for two days and it still died.

I'm leaning towards a bad battery that just decided to die before its time or had some defect. I guess I'll wait and see if this new one does the same or not...If not, then I should be good to go. If it dies, then I have a problem with a drain somewhere (another PITA).
Id try a drain check just to be sure
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
taegee2
Instructor

So far, the new replacement battery is holding up...it was reading 14.3 volts after startup (staying between high 13's and low 14's).

I noticed that right at startup as you are turning the ignition, the voltage reads around 12 volts (give or take a few tenths) and moves back up once the engine has started. Is this normal due to the high drain during startup? Just wondering...never noticed this before (didn't have battery problems either).
Old 07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rebelheart
I'm with him on this one!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by taegee2
So far, the new replacement battery is holding up...it was reading 14.3 volts after startup (staying between high 13's and low 14's).

I noticed that right at startup as you are turning the ignition, the voltage reads around 12 volts (give or take a few tenths) and moves back up once the engine has started. Is this normal due to the high drain during startup? Just wondering...never noticed this before (didn't have battery problems either).
As 8Vette7 says the DIC just gives voltage output when the cars running. The only true reading of battery voltage is a DMM across the terminals

If you have a bad component causing the drain it will slowly sap the life again. The most common is a sticky switch on the power seats but there are others. Its possible to leave the cabin lights on. Thats the small rotary switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. If you follow Bill Curlees procedure that I posted earlier it should let you know if theres an issue

Hopefully the new battery fixed it for you.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
taegee2
Instructor

The new battery seems to be holding up well. started up after a few days storage (on a battery tender)...started right up with no problems. Looks like the last battery was just bad period.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Glad to hear the new battery is holding up. When it comes to new batteries, I'm surprised how many owners opt for a different brand than the stock battery. Mine just hit it's 5 year birthday with no problems. I do trickle charge it when the car sits, however I have no reason to try something new when this one needs to be retired.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Glad to hear the new battery is holding up. When it comes to new batteries, I'm surprised how many owners opt for a different brand than the stock battery. Mine just hit it's 5 year birthday with no problems. I do trickle charge it when the car sits, however I have no reason to try something new when this one needs to be retired.
I put in a Platinum Series battery from Advance Auto when the OEM battery died. What's wrong with that, just askin'?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
I put in a Platinum Series battery from Advance Auto when the OEM battery died. What's wrong with that, just askin'?
Nothings wrong with that. My comment was based on reading many threads about guys who have switched to more expansive batteries than the OEM/GM battery and then having all sorts of problems with the batteries draining, etc. My point is that since I've had no problem with the make/model of the stock OEM battery over five years, when it does come time to change (probably this year due to 5 year birthday), I plan to stick with the OEM/GM battery brand.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery died twice this week

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery died twice this week