Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Car Show Judging...some tips I would like to share.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by SEVNT6
That's it brother.....

And if you see a little kid really eyeballing your Vette ask him if he'd like to sit behind the wheel......

When you see the look on that face you'll get the best feeling in the world, I guarantee.......

And maybe create a future Vette owner.........
Every time. The kids love it.

I've never been to a show where they would judge with the hood closed. Most will also want the doors opened, and for convertibles, the top down.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
ARKvette02
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 92
I never bother to fill out the dash placards they pass out.

It's always fun when they start asking where the owner is and I tell them I have no idea.
Ha ha haaa Thats the best, I have to remember that one
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
SEVNT6
Safety Car

Received 1,805 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Blue 92
I've never been to a show where they would judge with the hood closed. Most will also want the doors opened, and for convertibles, the top down.
Around here anything goes at some shows. I was at a show in Atlantic IA. once where some hoods were up, some down. At trophy time the guy who won best engine had HIS DOWN!! Poor guy tried to give it back but they told him to just go ahead and keep it....

Kinda sucks though when you spend alot of time to get to this....

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's it brother.....

And if you see a little kid really eyeballing your Vette ask him if he'd like to sit behind the wheel......

When you see the look on that face you'll get the best feeling in the world, I guarantee.......

We do all the time at each show we go to. The kids enjoy it very much, and yes the look and smile on there faces light up with dreams of owning one some day, and that's what makes it worth wild...

Last edited by (Lucy); 08-03-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:04 PM
SEVNT6
Safety Car

Received 1,805 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Right on. If every Corvette owner at a show did this at least once I bet we could keep the name going on indefinitely.......
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
cozer1
Pro

That's it brother.....

Yup..you got that right. i do it with the kids at the shows im in. What a FEELING. what a BIG Smile you get from the kids

Last edited by cozer1; 08-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by c59001
oh..make sure you have one of those "crying kids" leaning on your car and a few toy cars that resemble your car sitting on your motor.
I hate those stupid dolls. How in the world does that help the car earn points?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by MSG C5

To the OP; what do you mean when it comes to the trunk being too plain? Besides my golf clubs, what else to they want to see?
I was told some nice custom embroidery would be nice (I was already in the process of doing this anyways) or some type of setup. I have seen a bunch of cars setup a display in their rear cargo area. Diecast Cars, books, stuffed animals, custom helmets, etc. Anything that relates to the car basically and that pumps up the display of it...I guess it's not all about your car...it's about the way you show it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only thing I would like to see back there are some E.T. slips!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I like to frequent some local shows with friends to hang out, chat about our rides, and look at the other great looking rides and the custom work people do to them. Its just awesome how much time people put into there cars and how much talent some folks have! I love it. I never complain about winning/loosing. I could not care about a trophy. I have a great time just hanging out. My 4 yr old son loves to come with me and likes the cool cars too. His favorite is to see the big Fire truck in the show and likes to honk the horn.

Of course I have seen folks get all bent out of shape about not winning something. Thinking they deserve it. Last year there was a "BRAND NEW" ZR1 that showed and got pissed he lost against my friends custom 04 Z06 Convertible (Illmac77). He failed to realize that the judges give points for "custom" work on the car. Where is the custom work on his brand new ZR1 !??? .... It still had the window sticker in the window. Like were going to be impressed he paid over $100K... He was such a looser for complaining. He even made a post in the ZR1 section about loosing, and once people found out the truth, he got blasted about being a cry baby. He did not even know the difference between a C6 and a C5...

Here is his cry baby post.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-car-show.html

Toque
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Toque
I like to frequent some local shows with friends to hang out, chat about our rides, and look at the other great looking rides and the custom work people do to them. Its just awesome how much time people put into there cars and how much talent some folks have! I love it. I never complain about winning/loosing. I could not care about a trophy. I have a great time just hanging out. My 4 yr old son loves to come with me and likes the cool cars too. His favorite is to see the big Fire truck in the show and likes to honk the horn.

Of course I have seen folks get all bent out of shape about not winning something. Thinking they deserve it. Last year there was a "BRAND NEW" ZR1 that showed and got pissed he lost against my friends custom 04 Z06 Convertible (Illmac77). He failed to realize that the judges give points for "custom" work on the car. Where is the custom work on his brand new ZR1 !??? .... It still had the window sticker in the window. Like were going to be impressed he paid over $100K... He was such a looser for complaining. He even made a post in the ZR1 section about loosing, and once people found out the truth, he got blasted about being a cry baby. He did not even know the difference between a C6 and a C5...

Here is his cry baby post.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-car-show.html

Toque
Wow Toque! I just read that....truly unreal!

Here was my reply:

After going to a few car shows myself...quite honestly instead of thinking you got screwd....you honestly should cherish any award at all! SERIOUSLY! Whatever judges were there judging your car, they must of been giving you some kind of additional points or something cause every show I have been to you would not have even placed...you would of been given a once over and that would of been it. Simple reasoning too:

Most shows do not have a class for you! Plain and simple. If you entered into any type of New/Domestic/or Show class you would of been up against...well the car that beat you out. Either there wasn't much competition or one of the judges felt they owed you cause your car is considered "unique" and not common. But the bottom line is....it is STOCK and no stock car (unless it has like no mileage on it or is a special VIN # (like 1)) is going to win at a car show. Like others have mentioned. Show cars are there cause they have been modified, built to show, customized, or something that just sets them apart from everyday stock cars. I think that if you had a rare GT1 you would of had a better chance at first place just because not to many people even know what that is. (most corvette nuts do though). You might have won by default cause the judges would of thought that you had customized the car that way.

so yeh...trust me be happy with 2nd and don't be discouraged if you never win again unless you do something to the ZR1 to set it apart from other ZR1's...stock is just that...stock!

I myself actually did what this guy should of done. I went up afterwards with my 3rd place award and politely asked the 2 judges what they saw in mine that they deducted points for. I explained that I was new to this whole new car show thing with a points system and wanted to know if they could kindly give me any tips on what I could do to present the car better.

Both judges were super nice and actually relieved. They explained they thought I was going to be complaining about winning 3rd and wanted to dispute it with them. They said they get a lot of people that whine about 3rd or 2nd. I explained...are you kidding me? Iam overjoyed with 3rd!!!

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-04-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Car Show Tip

I like to display the window sticker, the build sheet, and the dealer brochure in the cargo area of my '97 coupe. Gets lots of comments.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zipity

The Car Show Pledge
"I promise and I swear I will be a good sport. I won't whine or complain if I don't win a trophy.
I will always remember this is supposed to be fun, it's not life or death, and it's only a hobby. So help me God."

I'm going to have to use this
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometime's what I do... I look over the cars at the car show. Than I pick out a nice one that I like that probably won't stand a chance at winnig. Than, if I receive a trophy I'll go and give the trophy to the owner (especially if he has he's son with him) explaining to him how much I enjoyed seeing his car at the show.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Sometime's what I do... I look over the cars at the car show. Than I pick out a nice one that I like that probably won't stand a chance at winnig. Than, if I receive a trophy I'll go and give the trophy to the owner (especially if he has he's son with him) explaining to him how much I enjoyed seeing his car at the show.
Good for you! After shipping two big dish packs filled with "mint" condition trophies on a couple of military moves, I gave the whole works to the Special Olympics at the Air Force Academy. The organizers just took off the cars on top, screwd on theirs, and they had a cost-effective solution for their trophy problem. Giving them away to such a worthy cause felt MUCH better than winning them in the first place.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by c59001
oh..make sure you have one of those "crying kids" leaning on your car and a few toy cars that resemble your car sitting on your motor.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 AM
cafeeviler
Advanced

I love goint to the shows just to hit up the Swap meet section, call me a dumpster diver But some people have no idea what they are practically giving away. Not to mention all The ideas you can get from other people.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Show Judging...some tips I would like to share.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 AM
cafeeviler
Advanced

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
I never understood those things.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W
I guess my car will never be in a show.
Me either brother...

Especially when I've driven across a state in a few hours and attended one...(the last one I went to)....lol
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cafeeviler
I never understood those things.
I love the gallon of tire bright that was left on the asphalt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Show Judging...some tips I would like to share.