Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
Stevo92z28
CF Senior Member

Seriously do you have a problem? Why would you post 6 times in a row.
Stevo92z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #22
SCM_Crash
UIX Engineer to the Max!
Support Corvetteforum!

He was playing out exactly what was going to be argued as usual. Hence "And scene." at the end.

He's right. Every time there's a post like this, there's always a crap load of opinions, speculations, and pointless arguing followed up with unverifiable "proof".

I personally only use Shell and Chevron, with Chevron being my favorite gas. I bought an expensive car and $1 per tank isn't enough to off-set the doubt of whether or not I'm getting "better" gas.
SCM_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #23
VinnyT
CF Senior Member

I swear there has been a lot of friggin' drama lately.

Buy whatever the hell fuel you want. Kroger gas does not make mine ping, Shell's fuel did. End of story. It has nothing to do with being cheap.

And for the slow ones here, read the statement again of WHY I posted this.

Kroger gas does not make mine ping, Shell's fuel did.

Hey Grumpy, how about starting a "I know better than everyone else" forum.

Oh wait, PR&C....

VinnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
printmanjackson
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Neal Maners

there was a show on ABC last week, I think it was 20/20 and it was all about out fuel. They showed where it started all the way to the pump. The funny thing is it all comes from the same refinery. The refinery is where "gas" is made from oil. It all comes from the same place.
printmanjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #25
SCM_Crash
UIX Engineer to the Max!
Support Corvetteforum!

That's true, until the additives are mixed in.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #26
SaberD
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to SaberD

i think places like kroger and any other gas station brands that do not have their own refineries, buy their gas from several different suppliers - typically the one that is giving them the best deal. this is why it is suggested to buy gas from places like shell, mobil, or BP. You will always get consistent quality there.
SaberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #27
SCM_Crash
UIX Engineer to the Max!
Support Corvetteforum!

Gasoline suppliers do sell excess gasoline to other suppliers. When people do those 'specific brand' gas boycotts, it back-fires because the suppliers that aren't selling gas at their pumps just sell off the gas to suppliers that aren't being boycotted at a lower price. In the end, both suppliers make a lot more than usual. The suppliers LOVE when people boycott a brand of gasoline. It actually becomes almost a guarantee that they move all their gasoline.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #28
VinnyT
CF Senior Member

I did a search and have seen in different websites/forums that Kroger gets their fuel from BP. Trying to validate it though.
VinnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
The Panther
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM_Crash View Post
He was playing out exactly what was going to be argued as usual. Hence "And scene." at the end.
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #30
killain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Oldtimer
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to killain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
For what it's worth, there was an article not long ago that stated with the sharing of pipelines to get fuel to storage it is hard to tell if you are getting 100% one brand gas over another, and that places like Frys get there fuel from different sources all the time. They also mentioned with all the Federal regulations on additives there is becoming less and less differences in any brand. I just found it interesting and thought Id share.
It was on ABC 20/20 two weeks ago with Charlie Gipson. Crazy thing, the gas you buy from dealer A, or B or D, like Shell or Texaco or Mobil. . . All comes from the same storage location.
killain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
Patches
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killain View Post
It was on ABC 20/20 two weeks ago with Charlie Gipson. Crazy thing, the gas you buy from dealer A, or B or D, like Shell or Texaco or Mobil. . . All comes from the same storage location.
I've been on here ~8 years and this topic has come up occassionally. We've had petroleum engineers and brokers come on here stating this same fact. Regionally, gasoline is generally distributed to most retailers from the same refinery and, additives can be added along the way, but the quality of the base fuel is the same.

Except for 100 octane I used to buy at the local Shell when I lived in Atlanta, I've never been able to determine if the fuel or conditions were the source of detonation, or lack of it, the few times I've experienced it. With the knock sensing/control systems built into most modern cars, it's doubtful one would experience it for long unless something something was significantly wrong with either fuel or engine.

As always, JMHO.
Patches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #32
c-5-steve
CF Senior Member

Does anyone know what BP stands for? Is it British Petroleum? I have no trouble with Marathon.
c-5-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #33
SCM_Crash
UIX Engineer to the Max!
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-5-steve View Post
Does anyone know what BP stands for? Is it British Petroleum? I have no trouble with Marathon.
Yes. It's British Petroleum.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #34
Mr.Bill
We Miss You Frank...
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Bill

Vinnie T.
I am not going to say one is better than the other, But if your car pinged using Shell 93 I would have to say you have other issues with your car.
JMO
Bill K
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #35
travelingypsye
CF Senior Member

It is amazing how fuel goes from crude to pump. The country is so dependent on it that it would shut down with out gas. I see Shell, Marathon & independent haulers filling their tankers from the same bulk tank everyday. The difference is the additive from different retailers are added to the tanker truck & not from the refinery. Most of the time, Kroger, speedway, walmart & shell, marathon all get the same gas daily. The reason prices are so different is the contract that each company has with the producer. BP (British petroleum) is the same gas as all the others. Kinda like America's beer (Bud) is owned by a Belgium company.

BTW,
Gas would cost $1.50-2.00 a gal. if the government, distributors & wholesalers didn't take the piece of the pie........Record profits of over 1 BILLION $ in a QUARTER for Exxon 3rd of last year tells me that price gouging & demand is outrageous.
travelingypsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #36
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyT View Post
I did a search and have seen in different websites/forums that Kroger gets their fuel from BP. Trying to validate it though.
Fuel is fuel. Fuel comes from Pipe line distribution tank farms.

Fuel is pumped up from Houston to the mid-west and east coast to the distribution tank farms. Then put on tank trucks to go to the stations where additives and 10% etoh are mixed in.

Highest volume, lowerst prices provieds the freshest fuel

ever noticed that all most all of the tank trucks dont have brand names on any more?

There is a tank distribution farm( Colonial pipe line) near Selma NC where I drive by occasionally. Five different terminals all with in about 300 acres. Two say BP/Citgo and the other three say Kidder/Morgan.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-07-2009 at 07:07 AM.
AU N EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #37
printmanjackson
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Neal Maners

Just make sure you buy your "premium" gas from a place that "moves" their premium gas otherwise you are buying old gas. Gas does go down in quality in time.
printmanjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #38
bucwheat
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma-c6 View Post
I agree that Top Tier Gas is the biggest scam ever and you just proved it. Everyone is just wasting their money paying for "better" gas.
I have read several items on the fact that it all gas comes from the same refinery.I have used shell for many years mainly because I have their credit card and get money back,I have never experienced a ping at all.
bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #39
itzza427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingypsye View Post
It is amazing how fuel goes from crude to pump. The country is so dependent on it that it would shut down with out gas. I see Shell, Marathon & independent haulers filling their tankers from the same bulk tank everyday. The difference is the additive from different retailers are added to the tanker truck & not from the refinery. Most of the time, Kroger, speedway, walmart & shell, marathon all get the same gas daily. The reason prices are so different is the contract that each company has with the producer. BP (British petroleum) is the same gas as all the others. Kinda like America's beer (Bud) is owned by a Belgium company.

BTW,
Gas would cost $1.50-2.00 a gal. if the government, distributors & wholesalers didn't take the piece of the pie........Record profits of over 1 BILLION $ in a QUARTER for Exxon 3rd of last year tells me that price gouging & demand is outrageous.
This practice has been going on for a LOT of years. Back in the early 70' I drove a tanker (only the trucking company name on the tractor) for a while,,delivered to mostly discount and truck stops. Filled up at the SHELL refinery. They did load from different dock stations for some of the places. I do run Shell 93 much of the time,,mainly because we have one that is on the edge of town that is anywhere from 5 to 20 cents below the others ,even discount stations in town. Once ran a 13.08/110.23 with it and no ping! It may be that station has poor quality gas(read old)OR they could be mixing a lower grade in by accident(stations depend on the driver to get the right gas in the right tank),,or owner or delivery co. could be scamming customers. It's amazing today some of the stupid schemes people try to make a quick buck. They may figure 90% of people that run premium don't need it,,and won't notice. Anything is possible!! Bottom line I don't feel a strong allegiance to any one brand,,I do tend to stick with the busier brand names!!
itzza427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #40
RogerZ06
CF Senior Member

I only use shell and chevron. Everything else makes my car run rough.
RogerZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Shell fuel vs Kroger fuel?

Tags
additive, brand, c5, corvette, engine, fuel, gas, kroger, ping, points, rated, shell, station, tier, top