Shell fuel vs Kroger fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill K
Vinnie T.
I am not going to say one is better than the other, But if your car pinged using Shell 93 I would have to say you have other issues with your car.
JMO
Bill K
Bill, I thought the same thing, knock sensors. But since I have been running the Kroger gas it doesn't. Not saying it is better gas, it may be just a coincidence. I will run this gas for awhile and see how she runs after several tankfuls.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Roger420
I only use shell and chevron. Everything else makes my car run rough.

No way

Must be those heavy mods
Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
redroket
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas

I never use Shell. In 1984 I bought a new IROC Camaro, normally always used 76 fuel but tried Shell and had to take to the dealer as it would barely run. The dealership asked what kind of gas I used in it and I told them the last fillup was Shell, they told me not to use as it gummed up the injectors! Have not used shell in anything since and never will!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
SeanMounce
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
Oh you think that his one isolated test proves anything. I am a scientist and I know that you have to have a larger sample size than 1 to show any correlation. Give me a break
Guys, guys, guys, hes a scientist...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
there was a show on ABC last week, I think it was 20/20 and it was all about out fuel. They showed where it started all the way to the pump. The funny thing is it all comes from the same refinery. The refinery is where "gas" is made from oil. It all comes from the same place.
Pretty much always has......I lived in Baytown Texas long ago which is almost all oil refineries........we saw every brand of gas tankers in the same lines to fill at the refinery. Every truck got the same gas.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Scott03Z06
Pro

Good Reading

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...277733&fpart=1
Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Purple Corvette Jim
Pro

Default gas

Oh you think that his one isolated test proves anything. I am a scientist and I know that you have to have a larger sample size than 1 to show any correlation. Give me a break
I thought Chevron was the best gas for the early c-5's. That's why I put techron concentrate in my tank every other fillup.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:43 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple Corvette Jim
I thought Chevron was the best gas for the early c-5's. That's why I put techron concentrate in my tank every other fillup.
There's really no reason to do it that often. Especially if you fill up with Chevron. I fill up with either Chevron or Shell... We only have 91 here, but that's what I use where ever I go. I put in fuel cleaner (usually the techron additive) once every 3-4 month if even that. As long as you use good gas most of the time, you shouldn't need additives at all.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott03Z06
Lowest price high volume stations = freshest fuel

only challenge I find now is finding a station with out Etoh added. I know that Sheetz in my area does not and there is one BP station that says 100% gasoline, no Alcohol. So I fill up the truck and wife's vette at those stations.

When I fill up at these stations ( 87 octane) my 1500HD pick up gets between 19.5 to 20.5 mpg. When I fill up at a station that has 15% etoh blended my fuel millage goes down to 15 to 16.5 mpg, and the exhaust stinks

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-09-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

OK so show me any evidence that your car with the magic top tier gas is performing any better than his car with the "cheap gas". Where is the evidence? Show me one study that has any evidence and I will change my mind.
Check out all the faulty gas gauge posts...
top tier fuel is about consistantly delivering better drivability. The only thing top tier fuel companies gaurantee about Octane, is not that it is higher, but that it is always consistent. They also ensure that the gasoline has a consistent optimized detergent package to keep in the internals clean.

Clean enternals give both higher HP and gas mileage by ensuring optimized combustion.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:28 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My son in law works at one of those gas tank farms.Those trucks may be in the same line but they DO get totally different fuels! Ever hear of valves?They switch the tanks from which those trucks are filled by an electronic valving system,so you could even see fuel come from the same filling hose and pipe,yet the source would be completely different!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Same thing happened with me, had many people tell me to use Shell gas since it was the best stuff out there. Every time I'd let the tank get low on whatever I was running, and filled it with Shell premium, I would hear spark-knock. When I ran that tank out and filled with some other brand, the knock went away. So now I use either Chevron (when I'm in an area that has a station) or I use Amoco/BP. Both have been good, and no knocking or any other strange behaviors have been noted.

Quick Reply: Shell fuel vs Kroger fuel?