Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing tranny cooler - which line is from tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing tranny cooler - which line is from tranny?

Just want to get my lines straight...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The line that runs to the top of the rad cooler portion of the radiator comes from the tranny. The lower line is the return. If you're installing an inline cooler, you'll want to tap into the lower return line. That's the best setup for an inline cooler. I put in a standard cooler when I swapped in the Yank TC with the intention of upgrading to a the superior B&M quickly when I could get my hands on one but the temps have been so good, even through some scorching summers here, that I have left it in place.

Here are a couple of shots of mine.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Patches
The line that runs to the top of the rad cooler portion of the radiator comes from the tranny. The lower line is the return. If you're installing an inline cooler, you'll want to tap into the lower return line. That's the best setup for an inline cooler. I put in a standard cooler when I swapped in the Yank TC with the intention of upgrading to a the superior B&M quickly when I could get my hands on one but the temps have been so good, even through some scorching summers here, that I have left it in place.

Here are a couple of shots of mine.

Did you have to loosen the radiator fan? Great pictures.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I loosened and pulled the whole fan shroud away from the rad to gain access to the back side of the rad to use the tie straps that came with the cooler I bought which is standard for many this style.

Here you see the locking pads that hold the strap ends after they are threaded though the rad fins. The setup works similar to electrical tie wraps in how the pad locks into the strap.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
futuretech
Drifting

I loosened and pulled the whole fan shroud away from the rad to gain access to the back side of the rad to use the tie straps that came with the cooler I bought which is standard for many this style.

Here you see the locking pads that hold the strap ends after they are threaded though the rad fins. The setup works similar to electrical tie wraps in how the pad locks into the strap.

Where did you loosen the fan shroud. Did you have to take the top brace off?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

IIRC (it's been two years), I popped the shroud off it's mounts from below. Freed it up just enough to slide my arm in.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 PM
futuretech
Drifting

IIRC (it's been two years), I popped the shroud off it's mounts from below. Freed it up just enough to slide my arm in.
Got it done. Here is more info for those who follow:
1. Easiest way to move fan shroud back so your hand fits is to remove the four bolts on the bracket that holds the radiator in (top of engine). YOU MUST REMOVE THE AIR BRIDGE TO TAKE OF THE BRACKET. The bracket holds the fan shroud against the radiator. THERE ARE NO ACTUAL BOLTS THAT MOUNT THE SHROUD TO THE RADIATOR. It "sits" in four plastic channels. Simply pull up on the shroud and move it up a few inches. THIS IS GOING TO BE A TIGHT SQUEEZE FOR YOUR HANDS.
2. The B&M model 70264 comes with all the hardware to mount the cooler in series with the radiator cooler. If you intend on using it as the sole cooler, and bypassing the radiator, you will need additional connectors.
3. The easiest install is to use the cooler as an addition to your radiator. In this case you only need to disconnect the one line from the radiator (bottom) and route the exit hole on the radiator to the top port on the cooler (if mounted sideways). The bottom port on the cooler goes back to the tranny return line. The hardware with the b&M fits perfectly.
4. Yes you actually push the plastic "sticks" (cable ties) through the air conditioning condenser and radiator fins. It seems weird doing it but keep pushing! It will work.

I am sure I forgot something!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm pretty sure the fitting that goes into the rad from the tranny was changed in 2002 MY because mine is different from the earlier models and would not take the B&M kit fitting. In fact, this has been the subject of several threads in the Tech section and how to find fittings to adapt the later model C5s to fit a tranny cooler in. I searched long and hard and found no simple solution.. Several here ended kitting up a set of fittings from local shops or online using -AN hardware. This is also one of the reasons I haven't upgraded yet.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
futuretech
Drifting

I'm pretty sure the fitting that goes into the rad from the tranny was changed in 2002 MY because mine is different from the earlier models and would not take the B&M kit fitting. In fact, this has been the subject of several threads in the Tech section and how to find fittings to adapt the later model C5s to fit a tranny cooler in. I searched long and hard and found no simple solution.. Several here ended kitting up a set of fittings from local shops or online using -AN hardware. This is also one of the reasons I haven't upgraded yet.
That's a bummer. I would have been pissed!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Welll, after all the crying subsides, you accept it and go on with life.

I'm sure I will swap it out soon - I can't help myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing tranny cooler - which line is from tranny?

Quick Reply: Installing tranny cooler - which line is from tranny?