Sponsored by:

non- runflat question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 PM
dennyb7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non- runflat question

Whats your "A" plan if you get a flat? Can of sealant,or compressor and patch kit, AAA or what? Do you carry a jack? Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cell phone.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:38 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I carry a patch kit including pliers, patches, patch tools, small tarp, gloves and my AAA Card. Also have a can of fix-a-flat for real emergencies if I need to get going fast - bad neighborhood, dangerous curve - but I know that the slime stuff will kill the sensor. On long trips I also carry a small scissors type jack from my DD Nissan. Always make sure you're running recommended tire pressures - 30psi or more. Lower pressures seem to encourage flats.

I know run flats (EMTs) bring peace of mind but on some of my long trips, tire service shops which can handle the large EMTs we run may be more than 200 miles away. If you have to replace the EMT far from a major city it would probably have to be shipped in from someplace else which would call for a couple extra motel nights on the road.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Hammer99
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course my plan would depend upon what type of damage to the tire.
Torn or punctured sidewall? AAA
For punctures in tread areas I carry the "Slime" repair kit. It has everything you need inc. compressor. Availiable on line or at Wallyworld for approx. $80.00
I also carry a BMW 3 series jack, pucks, small tarp, flashlight, & bottled water. It all fits in my center storage compartment.
IMO it is all worth it to get rid of those runflats!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Same as above, but don't forget the all important wheel chock!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Here's what I had on hand when I was running non-runflats: plug kit and portable air compressor, cell phone, and emergency road service on my insurance.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Here is what I carry, It sounds like a lot, But it all fits in the center compartment.
Small jack
2x2 wood
plug kit
tools
Z06 compressor kit.
slime
flashlight
AAA
Cell phone
I also have a GTO spare that I have never carried with me.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 PM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default no run flats for me

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Here's what I had on hand when I was running non-runflats: plug kit and portable air compressor, cell phone, and emergency road service on my insurance.
I got an air compresser kit with tire plugs. I added regular plyers , diagonal cutters, needle nose plyers, a flat head screw drive and a phillips head. If you get a nail sometimes you need those plyers to pull it out and if its a screw sometimes it has to be screwed out instead of pulled out. I try fixing tire on car first if possible by turning front wheel outward or lying on back at right angle with item in tire visible. I use a portable low profile jack too. But heres the key to sucess, always check tire pressure when I get in car, most of the time pressure reads 32-34 psi if I see on reading 30 or below I immediately monitor it, also dont forget if the tire pressure gets at 24 or below an alarm on the dash will sound so you still have ample time to get to service area or pull over and add air with your portable air compressor Runflats suck and make a vette handle like a tank, plus runflats have to be patched and when I took one to firestone they charged me 65.00 to fix because they had to jack car, take tire off car, tire off rim, etc. I can plug a nitto and be back in the race sort of speaking with hardly any down time or sitting in a tire kingdom lobby reading 6 month old readers digest and hearing some loud mouth 2 year old crying for candy.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

For those of you not carrying a full tool kit, keep in mind AAA comes out to change a spare, NOT patch a tire. If you don't carry what richard emmanual and napacruizer carry , you could be in dire straits.
For those on a hope and prayer, you have to call for a flatbed, my last call was a wait of three hours, since there was only one in the area and I was the third call.
I have had two flats in the field and was woefully unprepared, with a cell phone and a simple patch kit and compressor. Fortunately the first was at home and I needed a flat head screwdriver and needle nose to dig out the offending nail.
My second was on the inside of a rear tire.... try crawling under the car to patch that one
Keep in mind the absolute worst conditions. a rear tire with a nail on the inside, that a small compressor won't keep inflated, in the rain and a three hour wait for a flatbed. Don't think it won't happen, because it will.
Based on my first experience, I carry a jack($8 from the local junkyard,) a 1/2 breaker bar and a lug socket.

I have heard the famous drill of I haven't had a flat since 42.. got it... as the stocks usually say past history is no guarantee of future performance.

Get notified of new replies

To non- runflat question

Quick Reply: non- runflat question