Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
mischiefse7en
CF Senior Member

Default DIY $15 front lip spoiler

this was a project I was going to do to another car I had but never got around to.
I was a little bored so I decided to see how it would look on the C5, looks pretty damn good IMO
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
BAMbrick
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to BAMbrick

so.... what is it and what kind of effort did it take? looks pretty decent, good job
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
damilleniumboy
CF Senior Member

Isn't that like the Mach 1 spoiler? If so I have one in the garage.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
petermj
CF Senior Member

I like it too... what is it made of? 15 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal to me
Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
petermj
CF Senior Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...=p4506.c0.m245

40 bucks though... for 15, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
mischiefse7en
CF Senior Member

$40, wow, good scam!

The "black lip material" is garage door bottom seal, and my lip is exactly the ones in the auction!

Its called the home depot lip, and it takes about 15-20 minutes total to do it.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
99blacklightning

Is that the front lip on e-bay the op used? yea 19 bucks for shipping is to much!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
mischiefse7en
CF Senior Member

i used pretty much exactly what hes selling, but i got the seal from home depot and the 3m tape from autozone. I didnt screw it on, just used the tape
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
mischiefse7en
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermj View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...=p4506.c0.m245

40 bucks though... for 15, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
Quote:
12/9/2006 I wonder how long it's going to be before some enterprising aftermarket parts supplier starts having the manufacturer of the rubber weatherstripping make custom packaging for them bundled with double stick tape and some screws, and sell it for $50-75 on EBAY.
found this when i was looking for the original DIY, been around for about 7 years that I know of
Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
petermj
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischiefse7en View Post
found this when i was looking for the original DIY, been around for about 7 years that I know of
LOL, no surprise there that someone is trying to cash in on this stuff... The one on fleabay is advertised as foam rubber, is the home depot the same stuff? Foam rubber tends to be very pliable and does not want to retain a shape too well (see tail light seal kits). I guess I gotta take a drive to HD and take a look. Somehow the fleabay uber lip can be painted? I have never been successful painting rubber or foam rubber. Great find nevertheless and some creative thinking just the way I like. You have my twin car BTW
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
petermj
CF Senior Member

BTW, did you remove the stock air dam or are you driving with both?

After seeing what is out there and how much this stuff costs and fits, I am very tempted to glass a front spoiler myself, something that could use the OEM dam mounting points and then use double sticky tape up front. I do not like the currently available stuff due to having nice interface with the wheel well opening.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
mischiefse7en
CF Senior Member

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
its made of epdm rubber, the same as the door seals on the car, paint would look pretty crappy

Theres a few spoilers i like, damn if im going to pay $400-500 for one though!

I have both spoilers on right now, thought about taking the stock corner pieces off though bc you can see it under there a little, heres a side pic

Last edited by mischiefse7en; 10-02-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
STALION
CF Senior Member

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Definitely a great alternative to spending 400 - 500 hundred schmakers!!! I think I may try this over the weekend. I've been searching for a front spoiler and the best quote I got was for $400. No offense to any of the supporting vendors but it shouldn't cost this much for such a simple item...don't give me any of that "Well it's for R&D to make the product" Phuck that!!! Sorry...just got a little excited.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
madmatt9471
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----1/4 10.34 @ 135 MPH (New ET Eventually!)

Looks good!

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
mischiefse7en
CF Senior Member

heres one of the first DIY's yahoo brought up, bout covers it lol: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/exter...front-lip.html

I am a little curious why you can get a import car lip spoiler for $70 shipped, and vettes are $, could be bc they dont sell 1000 a week of them though, but still...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
jrose7004
CF Senior Member

Jim Rose Jim Rhttp://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=89789687&trk=hb_tab_pro_topose

Not bad!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #17
C5Vette168
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08

Great idea!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #18
petermj
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischiefse7en View Post
heres one of the first DIY's yahoo brought up, bout covers it lol: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/exter...front-lip.html

I am a little curious why you can get a import car lip spoiler for $70 shipped, and vettes are $, could be bc they dont sell 1000 a week of them though, but still...
Seems like catch 22: they do not sell many because of the price, the price is high because they do not sell many. Considering how few original designs are available, R&D justification is B.S. Many places sell the same thing as a matter of fact, not just copies of the same thing. On the whole, body enhancements for vette are beyond lame too. Not to mention that for german and japanese cars, you can get not only better designs but also you can get them in urethane for typically much less than what fiberglass costs for vette. I guess this lameness must be rubbing off from GM. Looking at factory enhancements on C6 Z06 you can get a pretty good chuckle, these things look just aweful.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #19
jpandes
CF Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. I love this idea. The material is flexible and won't break when I scrape. I now have a project for Sat

I just saw this stuff at HD and decided to pass on it. It would look cool stopped but it seemed way too soft, like it would just fold back on itself at freeway speeds.
AFR 205's | FAST 90/90 | Cam | Pulley | Vararam | ARH 1 7/8" LT headers w/ cats | LS7 clutch | CCW 505a's 18/19's | Built trans w/ DTE brace | Tan leather Caravaggio covered Sparco Seats | ACA Projectors w/ HID's | Kenwood DNX-8120 DD H/U | Focal 6.5"s | (2)ARC Mini Amps | JBL MS8, Valentine 1 | RSD SS w/ Delrin **** | Pfadt Coil-overs | Custom Leather Interior--> 449rwhp/403 ft.lbs

Last edited by jpandes; 10-04-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
Bob Holinski
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool mod.

Another option that comes to mind is the plastic or rubber baseboard material they sell. I have probably seen it in office buildings. I think it's about 4" high which would cover the stock air dams and still be flexible.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page DIY $15 front lip spoiler

Closed Thread

Tags
2005, 8th, c5, civic, corvette, diy, door, front, garage, garages, lip, mod, seal, sealer, spoiler