All Wheel Drive Corvette - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

All Wheel Drive Corvette

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
J's Toy
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
J's Toy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: My house in the middle of my street GA
Posts: 313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default All Wheel Drive Corvette

A buddy of mine has a all wheel drive Porsche 911 Carrera 4 and it corners like a dream. It made me wonder...Has anyone ever created/modified a all wheel drive corvette? If not can it be done?
J's Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
dobewillie
CF Senior Member
 
dobewillie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: lockport n.y
Posts: 10,477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Throw enough cash at it I suppose it could be done
dobewillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
killain
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
Oldtimer
 
killain's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Essington Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,129

Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I don't think the current C-5 or 6 are aimed at that market share. Being 'engine in the front and transmission & Diff. in the rear' gives the Corvette some of the best handling that rivals many of the Porsche models, but the cost of a Corvette is about 1/3 that of a middle line Porsche. As 'Automobile' magazine has said for the last seven yers, Quote "For about half of the cost of a Porsche, you can buy the Corvette ZO-6 and get the best "Bang for the Buck" in any sports model comparison." So I'm not sure what having all wheel drive would be price-wise or handling-wise ? The Current Corvette isn't a snow bunny, but it never was intended to be so.

Porsche is a lot more a different a car from the get-go.
killain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: TRUMP 2016 Make America great again
Posts: 15,313
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killain View Post
I don't think the current C-5 or 6 are aimed at that market share. Being 'engine in the front and transmission & Diff. in the rear' gives the Corvette some of the best handling that rivals many of the Porsche models, but the cost of a Corvette is about 1/3 that of a middle line Porsche. As 'Automobile' magazine has said for the last seven yers, Quote "For about half of the cost of a Porsche, you can buy the Corvette ZO-6 and get the best "Bang for the Buck" in any sports model comparison." So I'm not sure what having all wheel drive would be price-wise or handling-wise ? The Current Corvette isn't a snow bunny, but it never was intended to be so.

Porsche is a lot more a different a car from the get-go.
Mitsubishi had AWD on the 3000GT
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
renegad44
CF Senior Member
 
renegad44's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,507
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killain View Post
I don't think the current C-5 or 6 are aimed at that market share. Being 'engine in the front and transmission & Diff. in the rear' gives the Corvette some of the best handling that rivals many of the Porsche models, but the cost of a Corvette is about 1/3 that of a middle line Porsche. As 'Automobile' magazine has said for the last seven yers, Quote "For about half of the cost of a Porsche, you can buy the Corvette ZO-6 and get the best "Bang for the Buck" in any sports model comparison." So I'm not sure what having all wheel drive would be price-wise or handling-wise ? The Current Corvette isn't a snow bunny, but it never was intended to be so.

Porsche is a lot more a different a car from the get-go.
Interesting explanation, thanks.
renegad44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
racebum
CF Senior Member
 
racebum's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default

the car really should be designed from the ground up this way. with what it would cost to do one would be better off buying the new skyline. it's a car that's already dialed, has clean styling and is turn key.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
TurboBerserker
CF Senior Member
 
TurboBerserker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Posts: 946
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

given the space constraints, I don't think a C5 could be retrofit to an AWD.
TurboBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
RedLS1GTO
CF Senior Member
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,606
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

With enough money, anything is possible. Though not likely in this case.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
TheBigDog
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Chillicothe Ohio
Posts: 873
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Toy View Post
A buddy of mine has a all wheel drive Porsche 911 Carrera 4 and it corners like a dream. It made me wonder...Has anyone ever created/modified a all wheel drive corvette? If not can it be done?
Wasnt the sledghammer corvette all wheel drive?
TheBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
Indy
CF Senior Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Makes you wonder why the 911 GT2 is rwd...
AWD doesn't always make cars faster. Adds more weight and drive line loss. ZR1 with rwd is faster around the Nurburgring than any other production car (incl. Nissan GTR and 911 Turbo).
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
racebum
CF Senior Member
 
racebum's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Makes you wonder why the 911 GT2 is rwd...
AWD doesn't always make cars faster. Adds more weight and drive line loss. ZR1 with rwd is faster around the Nurburgring than any other production car (incl. Nissan GTR and 911 Turbo).
this is a touchy statement to make. the skyline and zr1 have ran nearly identical times of 7:26, the zr1 7:26.4 to the GTR 7:26.7 and the v spec hasn't been released yet. the ferrari enzo and viper acr both beat the 7:26 but i'm not sure either is considered "production" the one car the zr1 did beat that many would have not expected is the 911 gt2. even on r compounds it only did a 7:32.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

here's a link to a current time roster. some of these numbers are a little odd since you don't know the conditions they were performed in. the stock c5 running an 8:40 vs a civic R 8:47 is one example. an auto 97 c5 on rock hard run flats vs a high revving light car on sticky tires. change the tires on the 5 and a good 15 seconds, maybe 20 would fall off. so, take it for face value.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
Mr. Lau
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Lau's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Medicine Hat Alberta
Posts: 708
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
this is a touchy statement to make. the skyline and zr1 have ran nearly identical times of 7:26, the zr1 7:26.4 to the GTR 7:26.7 and the v spec hasn't been released yet. the ferrari enzo and viper acr both beat the 7:26 but i'm not sure either is considered "production" the one car the zr1 did beat that many would have not expected is the 911 gt2. even on r compounds it only did a 7:32.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

here's a link to a current time roster. some of these numbers are a little odd since you don't know the conditions they were performed in. the stock c5 running an 8:40 vs a civic R 8:47 is one example. an auto 97 c5 on rock hard run flats vs a high revving light car on sticky tires. change the tires on the 5 and a good 15 seconds, maybe 20 would fall off. so, take it for face value.
lets not throw fuel on the already burning fire please? i've seen these arguments get way to ugly for a pointless argument anyways.
Mr. Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Silverbullet00
CF Senior Member
 
Silverbullet00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Posts: 18,637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Why? C6R has all the $$$ in the world and they haven't ?
Silverbullet00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #14
racebum
CF Senior Member
 
racebum's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lau View Post
lets not throw fuel on the already burning fire please? i've seen these arguments get way to ugly for a pointless argument anyways.
agree, it's an impossible argument to win. the people who buy GTR's already have their mind made up as do the ZR1 owners. these cars are just so close in performance it sparked an endless debate that would often be won by what tires are on each car or who's behind the wheel.

these cars are so evenly matched what would be really fun is a 6 car line up with 3 of each on multiple tracks, sit back and watch the results.

Last edited by racebum; 10-03-2009 at 11:22 PM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
02MillenniumVette
CF Senior Member
 
02MillenniumVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Lost in Hurricane alley!
Posts: 10,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDog View Post
Wasnt the sledghammer corvette all wheel drive?
No, it was rear wheel drive.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...=2964&i=2#menu
02MillenniumVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
jrose7004
CF Senior Member
 
jrose7004's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 52,475
Thanked 260 Times in 239 Posts
Default

I am surprised that somebody hasn't done it.
jrose7004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,025
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default big supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Toy View Post
A buddy of mine has a all wheel drive Porsche 911 Carrera 4 and it corners like a dream. It made me wonder...Has anyone ever created/modified a all wheel drive corvette? If not can it be done?
i've been espousing an awd vette option for years.
we can only hope!
TBIRD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
vettegator005
CF Senior Member
 
vettegator005's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Longmont Colorado
Posts: 2,118
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

i hope someday corvette goes to awd and the same trans as the GT-r
vettegator005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
karateboi87
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I like how the vette is set up already...
karateboi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
corvettebob1
CF Senior Member
 
corvettebob1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Near Jacksonville Fl.
Posts: 3,210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Actually back in the late 80's GM did experiment with an AWD Corvette at GMPG.
I was slower and had lower skid pad numbers because of the added weight.
corvettebob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • All Wheel Drive Corvette
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    2016 C7 Z51 Drag Wheels King_C7 C7 Tech/Performance 0 07-18-2016 02:43 PM
    Trigo PIN Drive Wheels OldCarBum C3 Tech/Performance 3 04-03-2016 08:23 AM
    Are You Ready for an All-Wheel-Drive Corvette? ManuelCarrillo3 C7 Tech/Performance 13 03-16-2014 09:35 PM
    ZR1 - time to consider all-wheel drive? Vintagevetter C6 Corvette ZR1 89 04-01-2010 10:46 AM
    C5 All Wheel Drive jkinneberg C5 Tech 21 01-12-2005 08:17 AM


    Tags
    c5, c6r, corevette, corvette, corvettes, custom, drive, rear, retrofitting, wheel

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.