Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Roostertail
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rdline
At car shows cars with lambo's etc get way more spectators....
You hit the nail on the head, they're more show than anything else. They look like they make getting into the car more difficult...

Nick
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97BlckCpe
good post offering direction and opinion... but I do feel that mods on the cars do make the vette however the lambo doors are call that I dont believe any other supercar has them besides the lambo. Its almost as if the ole saying goes square peg square hole...
Mercedes has them only called gull wing, same concept
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Red3644
Instructor

They should really be called Civic doors as there are alot more Hondas with them than Lambos. Still working on that kit to make real Lambo doors open out.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

First

I know there are alot of people who do not like the lambo doors on a Corvette. This is fine with me and I respect your views on what looks good on a car.
Thats what is so nice about this forum. Everyone gets hundreds of ideas of what they like on all of cars we all see daily. We all take great pride in the looks of our vehicle. Some like CCW wheels, some like bsm's, some like different hoods. If it wasnt for everyone doing different things to the cars we would never get anything but a mental picture of what the mod would look like before we would actually do it.

This OP asked a simple question is it a good idea or not.

The Good

IF you have a gaurage queen weekend car like me who enjoys car shows you will love them. They get so many looks at car shows its not funny. I have had so many people just stand in front of the car and take a picture. I have meet alot of nice people this summer and have had hundreds of conversations about anything you can imagine due to the fact they stopped by to look at the doors and say hi. They open both out far enough to get in and out without lifting them and open and close with no issues. With the doors up, the hood open and the hatch open all the lines of the car flow the same direction and looks so nice. WOuld I do this again if i had the choice to do over. YES.

The bad
I would have to say if you use the car as a DD they would probably be a major PITA to you. The doors do open like I said but if your windows are up its a tight fit getting in and out. I would never do this to my car if i drove it all the time.

If your going to do this mod you will need to spend ALOT more than 400.00. I have seen the cheap 400.00 kits at car shows this summer. Some guy with Honda of some sort had this so called 400.00 kit on his car. There was a slight wind and the doors were bouncing and wobbling all over the place. Mine were solid and didnt move at all with a slight breeze. He even told me he is taking the kit off this winter and spending the big bucks and putting on a well built Kit.

I have the GT Factory kit on my car. I love the kit as the doors go up higher than most and from what it seems do now hang out as far on the sides. Bad part is unless you can find one GT does not offer this kit anymore.

The LSD and Verticle Door kits are both nice and great quality as well. But these are well above the 400.00 price your going to pay.

Matt just posted up his Dream Car Custom kit and it looks to be a nice kit and Mat seems very happy with it. I think these are around 1300.00

Another factor you need to consider is if you can not do this yourself you will need to pay some good money for a shop to install. I would say around 800.00 and up depending on your location and type of place you go to. I paid more than this but I went to a very expensive guy who is the best in my area for this kind of work. Money well spent. The doors fit perfect, not a mark was put on the car during install, open and close like normal factory doors would close.

Bottom line is
If you lik them go for it just make sure you get a good quality kit or you will be wasting the money.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the doors.

Dennis

couple different looks of the doors to better help you decide of this look is for you
Name:  DSC_0029.jpg
Views: 5161
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0647.jpg
Views: 5216
Size:  72.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0563.jpg
Views: 5031
Size:  101.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0763.jpg
Views: 5097
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by kerryt1
$400 is cheaper than I've heard, so I'd be suspicious. I'd never install them on my car because they serve no legitimate purpose in my mind. That's my opinion, and beside the point. I'd proceed with caution.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
terrible1one3
Racer

Personally I'm not a big fan of aesthetic mods. I'm not like most and see shiny things and start drooling.

Lambo doors seem impractical and useless. Some people like the attention, some don't.

If you have them, and like them, and like attention good for you. To each his own.

Sounds like most Corvette mods... there is the cheap way which is a huge headache and leaves you unhappy. Then there is the right way which is a smaller headache bigger hit in the pocketbook but leaves you grinning every time you step on the gas... or in this case open the door..... (see my point?)
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM
thrllr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by casey007
The regular price is $1100 on for $400 this month only. I personally think they look kind of cool, not sure though how well they function. Just thinking about it right now, I really dont know much about these and the Pro's and Con's. The sales price peaked my interest.
I don't think most of them got that it's a $1100.00 kit that is on SALE for $400.00 this month. Just saying.......
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM
casey007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
First

I know there are alot of people who do not like the lambo doors on a Corvette. This is fine with me and I respect your views on what looks good on a car.
Thats what is so nice about this forum. Everyone gets hundreds of ideas of what they like on all of cars we all see daily. We all take great pride in the looks of our vehicle. Some like CCW wheels, some like bsm's, some like different hoods. If it wasnt for everyone doing different things to the cars we would never get anything but a mental picture of what the mod would look like before we would actually do it.

This OP asked a simple question is it a good idea or not.

The Good

IF you have a gaurage queen weekend car like me who enjoys car shows you will love them. They get so many looks at car shows its not funny. I have had so many people just stand in front of the car and take a picture. I have meet alot of nice people this summer and have had hundreds of conversations about anything you can imagine due to the fact they stopped by to look at the doors and say hi. They open both out far enough to get in and out without lifting them and open and close with no issues. With the doors up, the hood open and the hatch open all the lines of the car flow the same direction and looks so nice. WOuld I do this again if i had the choice to do over. YES.

The bad
I would have to say if you use the car as a DD they would probably be a major PITA to you. The doors do open like I said but if your windows are up its a tight fit getting in and out. I would never do this to my car if i drove it all the time.

If your going to do this mod you will need to spend ALOT more than 400.00. I have seen the cheap 400.00 kits at car shows this summer. Some guy with Honda of some sort had this so called 400.00 kit on his car. There was a slight wind and the doors were bouncing and wobbling all over the place. Mine were solid and didnt move at all with a slight breeze. He even told me he is taking the kit off this winter and spending the big bucks and putting on a well built Kit.

I have the GT Factory kit on my car. I love the kit as the doors go up higher than most and from what it seems do now hang out as far on the sides. Bad part is unless you can find one GT does not offer this kit anymore.

The LSD and Verticle Door kits are both nice and great quality as well. But these are well above the 400.00 price your going to pay.

Matt just posted up his Dream Car Custom kit and it looks to be a nice kit and Mat seems very happy with it. I think these are around 1300.00

Another factor you need to consider is if you can not do this yourself you will need to pay some good money for a shop to install. I would say around 800.00 and up depending on your location and type of place you go to. I paid more than this but I went to a very expensive guy who is the best in my area for this kind of work. Money well spent. The doors fit perfect, not a mark was put on the car during install, open and close like normal factory doors would close.

Bottom line is
If you lik them go for it just make sure you get a good quality kit or you will be wasting the money.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the doors.

Dennis

couple different looks of the doors to better help you decide of this look is for you

Dennis

Thanks for your reply I appreciate the information and really like your car. My car is pretty much a garage queen, its a 2001 with 24,000 miles and I purchased it about a year ago. I may put on 5,000 miles a year if that. I like the idea that the doors open normally a certain amount, it looks like there is room to get in and out but you did mention the window should be open, can you explain?

Yes if I do this I want a quality kit, as I mentioned earlier this kit peaked my interest as they say it was $1100 regular and this month only $400. check this out extremelambodoor.com

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2009, 11:23 AM
matt3310
Support St Jude!!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
1st St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by thrllr
I don't think most of them got that it's a $1100.00 kit that is on SALE for $400.00 this month. Just saying.......
eBay always has the $1100 kit on sale for $400. I see them everythime I look. Theres 4 kits that you should consider. Vertical Doors Inc, must trim the fenders. LSD's-Again must trim fenders, GT Factory--no idea if you have to trim on these. Dream Car Customs-no trimming. All of these kits are high quality. They look great and are very durable. I did a lot of research before I jumped in and I am very happy with my choice.

Like C5 BearsFan said, there not for everyone. I have a fast car. 598rwhp. I just wanted a fast car that can be a show car at the same time!!!

I want my cake and eat it too!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,279 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not the look I want on my car, but hey, it's your money.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Greenhead
Instructor

I have the GT factory doors. They can be a PITA so most of the time I don't lift the doors and just get in and out of the doors normally. But when I'm out and want to show off, I lift them up. They draw lots of attention. I've had people walk across parking lots just to talk about the doors and the car and I get many compliments. Without a doubt, I would do again.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by casey007
Dennis

Thanks for your reply I appreciate the information and really like your car. My car is pretty much a garage queen, its a 2001 with 24,000 miles and I purchased it about a year ago. I may put on 5,000 miles a year if that. I like the idea that the doors open normally a certain amount, it looks like there is room to get in and out but you did mention the window should be open, can you explain?

Yes if I do this I want a quality kit, as I mentioned earlier this kit peaked my interest as they say it was $1100 regular and this month only $400. check this out extremelambodoor.com

Thanks again
With the windows curving in it makes it a little harder to get in and out with the windows up. Thats the reason i have mine down when i get in and out.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM
CG C5
Advanced

My vote would be for gull wing doors. Which would be tricky to make for a car with a detachable roof.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

What I find amusing is that on the forum there are plenty of lambo haters, yet customizing is just that. At car shows cars with lambo's etc get way more spectators than any other vette with the exception of the new zr1.
You know what else gets a lot of spectators? A car accident.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
You know what else gets a lot of spectators? A car accident.
so does a grave site, what is your point, the lambo which is the question does give extra attention and vette friends to view the car and enjoy the mods. If you do not do car shows and enjoy talking about your vette then lambo doors may not be for you.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Le mew mew.... le mew.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:38 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, lambo doors suck even on a Lambo Just my opinion though. If you like em, put them on! Do not open them above 120mph however, unless you are near an airport!
keeping it simple, Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Lambo Doors ??? Good idea or not

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM
97BlckCpe
Burning Brakes

Mercedes has them only called gull wing, same concept
I stand corrected but way out of my league and but look what your compairing SLS AMG gullwing and a Lamborghini Murcilago two cars that are well over $200k to a corvette ... come on now.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 PM
97c5vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say if you like it, go for it!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What’s funny is it seems there’s more acceptance for lambo doors in the C5 section of Corvette Forums than there is on the import sites.

Quick Reply: Lambo Doors ??? Good idea or not