Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service ABS/traction system

Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 PM
glorysends
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service ABS/traction system

Well I have a 99 stock C5 and I have had this happen a couple of times, where I will go to start the car up and soon as it starts up the ''ABS'' and ''Traction System'' lights come on and it says ''Service ABS'' and ''Service Traction System''. It will never come on as I'm driving, only when I first start it up then it will stay on and after a few times of starting it again it goes off or letting it sit. Well it's only has happened a handful of times and this time it has been staying on. (I will check back later tonight to see if it goes off) but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before, or if they know what it is or a sensor has gone bad.

Any information is much appreciated!
Thank you
Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Service ABS. . . .

You need to access your codes and see what comes up. May be a 1214 EBCM code meaning a relay in your ABS EBCM module is bad, may be other code(s). If you do not know how to get the codes (they will come up on the little screen above your steering column, the one that says "Corvette by Chevrolet" or whatever when you start the car) you can search this forum and the instructions are here. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
glorysends
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, no code comes up, but that is were it reads ''service abs'' and stuff, but never any codes or numbers come up after it.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
BenC5
Drifting

I went through what you are going through now when I first got my car. I did the following, Bill Curlee's advice/post in Tech, and never had the problems/codes/warnings come back.

1. Clean and tighten up all of your battery cable lugs. My negative lug had some green corrosion on it, sanded it, a little dielectric grease and retighten.

2. I went and undid all the grounds I could on the car, again, a little sanding, some dielectric grease and retighten.

Never had the codes, warnings or the "reduced power" come back again. Imagine you are on the highway, under acceleration and all of a sudden the dash lights up with every warning possible and the car slows down to 10-15 mph?

Hope you get it sorted and it is simple like mine was.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BenC5
I went through what you are going through now when I first got my car. I did the following, Bill Curlee's advice/post in Tech, and never had the problems/codes/warnings come back.

1. Clean and tighten up all of your battery cable lugs. My negative lug had some green corrosion on it, sanded it, a little dielectric grease and retighten.

2. I went and undid all the grounds I could on the car, again, a little sanding, some dielectric grease and retighten.

Never had the codes, warnings or the "reduced power" come back again. Imagine you are on the highway, under acceleration and all of a sudden the dash lights up with every warning possible and the car slows down to 10-15 mph?

Hope you get it sorted and it is simple like mine was.
Good advice. These cars are sensitive to ground issues.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 PM
glorysends
Burning Brakes

Thank you. I will try it. I had that type of issue on my truck with it not starting and the gauges went nuts everytime I did, but this is just always those two sensors and I just checked and they are still on, so this time they aren't going off.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 AM
RogerArrambide
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar issue but...

If I turn the key to accesory position but without start up, the normal lights come on and then several seconds turn off, but about 5-7 secs after, goes on again ABS/Traction and say on the screen "Check Abs.. Check traction etc"

If I turns on and inmediatelly start up the car, the ABS/Traction lights last a little bit (about 3 sec) to turns off, instead of normal (less tha 1 sec before start up car).

My Theory:
This happens since I tuned the PCM, so I dont know if the tuner device/software, replace the position of the PCM reads the procedures or something.

What do you think guys??

Get notified of new replies

To Service ABS/traction system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service ABS/traction system