Sponsored by:

Preventing flat spotting

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
redtorque
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preventing flat spotting

Does anyone have any recommendations for products that prevent tire flat spotting during storage? I saw a product in a Corvette magazine, but it was pretty expensive. Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

overinflate them a few PSI

but truthfully todays tires do not flat spot like the older tires. If you find that they have once the tire warms back up it will be fine.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Inflate the tires to 40 psi. Flat spotting will not be a problem. Just remember to bring the pressure back down before driving it.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Not an issue with todays tires...

Peace
Chip

Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
O4-/-C5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Inflate the tires to 40 psi. Flat spotting will not be a problem. Just remember to bring the pressure back down before driving it.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

BTW that will be $50 ......much cheaper than everything else
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard some people put thick foam or rugs under the tires.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 PM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The flat spotting was an issue back in the day of the bias ply tires. I agree with above posts.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I agree with the above posts, too.....cause I'm trying to get my post count up........
Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My Vert sat on a boat for 8 weeks en route to England. It came off and I drove it away the same day. There was absolutely no sign of flat spots.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Radial tires will NOT flat spot. If they ever feel as though they did after a long down period, drive the car and in 1 mile they will be perfectly round again..

Flat Spotting was an old Bias-Ply tire problem from years ago...........
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an issue with todays tires. Be Happy, Don't Worry!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
INTRUBL
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better yet, drive it when the roads are dry.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think you got good advice, as tires do still flat spot. See the following info from Tire Rack:

Tire Flatspotting

Lea esta página en español

Do you ever feel a ride disturbance or shimmy during the first few miles of driving after your vehicle has been parked for a few days, weeks or months? Then, after you drive a couple of miles, the ride smoothes out and feels OK. This condition is often called flatspotting because it is used to describe the tire flatspots that can occur when a vehicle is parked.

Many heavy duty, high performance, high speed rated and racing tires have a memory because they continue to remember the position in which they were last parked after they begin to be driven on again. Unfortunately, their memory can become a problem when the tires experience big swings in ambient temperature, have been parked overnight in cold temperatures, or parked for an extended period of time...because it's a lack of use that can cause tires to flatspot.

As they roll, tires go from a relaxed state to a loaded state about 800 times every mile. This constant deflection generates heat that makes the tires more flexible. But once they are parked, the spot in contact with the ground (the tire's footprint) flattens as it is pressed against the road's flat surface as the tires cool. This is what generates flatspots. And until the tires "warm up" again, the flatspot on each tire can cause a ride disturbance that will be felt for the first few miles the next time the vehicle is driven.

Flatspotting can be temporary (the tire will round out as driving warms it up) or in the most severe cases, permanent (in which the tire's memory effectively destroys its ride quality). A flatspot's severity is often a function of the tire size, internal structure, load, ambient temperature and time.

Low aspect ratio tires have less sidewall flex due to their short sidewalls and much of their load carrying capacity is absorbed by the deflection of their wide footprints.

The tread compounds and firm, nylon reinforced internal constructions used on high performance and high speed rated tires are more susceptible to flatspotting.

Heavy loads and too little air pressure in the tires (underinflation) will allow them to deflect more where they come into contact with the ground. This allows even more deflection, increasing the severity of the flatspotting.

Cold ambient temperatures make rubber compounds stiffer, increasing their tendency to flatspot.

The longer tires remain stationary, the better they remember the position in which they were last parked. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flatspotted.

Minimizing Flatspotting

While there is no way to completely avoid tire flatspotting, knowing what to expect under different conditions will help minimize its inconvenience.

NOTE: It is important to check and reset tire inflation pressures to those recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or owners manual when taking a vehicle out of storage.

Tire flatspotting would be most noticeable when beginning to drive a vehicle that has been stored incorrectly (with the weight of the vehicle pressing down through the tires to the ground). When storing a vehicle for more than a few weeks, it is best to drive the vehicle until it is thoroughly warmed up and then immediately put it up on "blocks" after arriving at the storage location. Doing this takes the load off of the tires completely. Not doing this on a vehicle that will be parked for a few months runs the risk of permanently flatspotting the tires.

Tire flatspotting may also be noticed when beginning to drive a vehicle that has not been driven for a few days, or during the colder winter months after the vehicle has been parked overnight. However, these types of flatspots will usually disappear during the first few miles of driving.

Usually during the day, the warmer ambient temperatures and more frequent vehicle use will not allow noticeable flatspots to form. However, anytime a vehicle goes in for ride-related services (tire rotation, rebalancing, or to diagnose ride disturbances), the vehicle should be driven for 5 to 10 miles immediately before being raised in the shop to make certain that temporary flatspots are not preventing the source of the ride complaint from being isolated and corrected.

And finally, tire flatspotting will also be noticed at the beginning of each session when attending a driver's school, track day or race. Whenever the car is returned to the paddock, the vehicle should immediately be lifted off of the ground to prevent flatspotting (this will also allow the car to feel more stable at the beginning of the next track session). This practice also allows debris to be cleaned off of the hot tires while they are inspected for any punctures and cuts. If you watch the professional race teams at an event, you'll see that they always remove the race tires immediately after stopping in the pits at the end of a session (if they plan to continue using the tires).
Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Saw this post in the for sale section....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...tstoppers.html
Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Quite the wide variety of opinions, lol.

-
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

I don't think it's a problem either, but I do park on four pieces of rubber padding when parked for the winter.

Get notified of new replies

To Preventing flat spotting

Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I don't think you got good advice, as tires do still flat spot. See the following info from Tire Rack:

Tire Flatspotting
I read that as well....however. Having stored my car for months at a time I can tell you I have not experienced flat spotting. That being said I live in Florida where the ambient temperature is much higher than many places. I am sure if you stored your car for 5 months in say Montana you may have a different result due to cooler temps. Tire PSI drops about 1psi for every 10 degrees of temperature drop. I know when I go to work in the cooler/cold months I can come out to teh car and get low tire pressure warnings however after driving a few miles the tires heat up and read as normal.

So IMO ( mind you I am no expert nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately) if he stores his car for a few months and simply overinflates his tires a few PSI he should be OK.

I think ultimately it will come down to 2 things:

length of time
climate

I would say if he lives in the great white north and plans on storing his car in an unheated garage then perhaps he needs to get the car off the ground otherwise 30 days with overinflated tires he should be good but once again...I am no expert

Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Quite the wide variety of opinions, lol.

-
you know what they say
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I was of the opinion that today's tires were not prone to flatspotting like older tires but I have changed my mind.

I bought my 02 coupe last year with 9,000 original miles on it with the original runflats. Obviously this car sat for prolonged periods over it's seven year life. I had a slight vibration in the front end at highway speeds. I brought the front tires and wheels to two shops with Hunter Road Force balancers. Both shops agreed the tires had flat spotted from prolonged sitting. They weren't trying too sell me tires as I made it clear I buy through the Tire Rack. I bought two new original equipment run flats and it solved the highway vibration.

Bottom line: It is definitely harder to flat spot todays tires but it can happen. If the car is going to sit for several months without being driven I would over-inflate them and roll the car once in a while. Driving is also a good idea

Quick Reply: Preventing flat spotting