Sponsored by:

Need New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
law dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Tires

I recently purchased a 2004 Corvette. It has 44K on it and still has the original tires. Would you recommend the original Goodyear`s or is there another brand that will work just as good? I`d like to try and save a few dollars if at all possible. Thanks in advance for your advice/opinion`s
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by law dog
I recently purchased a 2004 Corvette. It has 44K on it and still has the original tires. Would you recommend the original Goodyear`s or is there another brand that will work just as good? I`d like to try and save a few dollars if at all possible. Thanks in advance for your advice/opinion`s

There are a lot of choices available, including sticking with the OEM Goodyear EMT's.

First of all, understand that the OEM Goodyears are unique in the sense that they are the only tire that will run up to 55mph for up to 200 miles with no air pressure. There are other tires that are considered "run-flats" but none of them will go the distance that the Goodyears can.

That being said - the reason the Goodyears can do this is due to an exceptionally stiff sidewall, that enables them to bear the weight of the car with no air and not roll off the rim. But because of these stiff sidewalls, the ride and the noise generated by the tread is compromised to a degree. Another plus is that the tire is very square when viewed from either the back or the front of the tire, giving the impression that the width of the tread is greater - most of the other tires available are rounder making them look less wide.

If you plan to do any autocross or track driving, there are a lot of choices that will offer better handling. Also - the OEM Goodyears are pretty expensive.

So here's the deal - you need to figure out what you're looking for in a tire - affordability, long lasting, best handling, all-weather, run flat, etc. Then you should determine if you plan to retain the OEM wheels or at least retain the OEM wheel sizes. If you are thinking of upgrading to larger wheels, your choices will be altered, because not every tire is available in every size. Everything is a compromise, and you need to figure out where and what you're willing to compromise.

On my black car, I'm running one inch larger diameter wheels and I don't like the ride and handling characteristics of run flats - so I run Michelin PS2's. Great maximum performance summer tire, but pricey.

On my Pace Car - I want to keep this car as close to stock as possible, so for me, it's the Goodyear OEM EMT's.

These are two totally different cars with different missions. I'm happy with my choices. But there are other tires that I could have chosen for the black car. I happen to like Michelin. BTW - the new Corvette ZR1 is the first Corvette ever to use Michelin as the OEM tire.....it is Michelin's version of the run flat as a PS2.

If I can be of any more assistance (or confusion - whatever the case may be) feel free to contact me.....good luck.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
atmsrus1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people will tell you to stay away from the run flats that come on the car. I hear a lot of good things about the Nitto and Wide Oval. I think when I get new ones then I will probably go with the Nittos, heard they ride better and are a lot quieter than the run flats.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I like this site because you can read the reviews.

The reviews on this tire were incredibly positive, even against the more pricey tires.

When the time comes to replace my tires, I will definitely try these. I dont believe they are run flats but at this price I could replace every tire and still pay less.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...pager.offset=0
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Are you sure they are the original tires or the previous owner just replaced the original tires with aftermarket identical tires?
have the dealer or a forum member run a GM VIS and find your build date. compare that to the age of your tires using the DOT code.

I have not heard of 40K miles on original runflats.

So what do you want... runflat = insurance
non runflat = performance?
maintaining stock = GoodYear runcraps.
the best runflats = Michelin PS2 ZP
the most cost effective = Kumho ecsta EMT

The best non run flat Michelin PS2 or goodYear GSD-3

The most cost effectiv enon runflat Genreal Exclaim UHP or Cooper Zeon
Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd go with Good Year GS D3's.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
blkdevl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try tire4wheel.com very low prices
Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
law dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
There are a lot of choices available, including sticking with the OEM Goodyear EMT's.

First of all, understand that the OEM Goodyears are unique in the sense that they are the only tire that will run up to 55mph for up to 200 miles with no air pressure. There are other tires that are considered "run-flats" but none of them will go the distance that the Goodyears can.

That being said - the reason the Goodyears can do this is due to an exceptionally stiff sidewall, that enables them to bear the weight of the car with no air and not roll off the rim. But because of these stiff sidewalls, the ride and the noise generated by the tread is compromised to a degree. Another plus is that the tire is very square when viewed from either the back or the front of the tire, giving the impression that the width of the tread is greater - most of the other tires available are rounder making them look less wide.

If you plan to do any autocross or track driving, there are a lot of choices that will offer better handling. Also - the OEM Goodyears are pretty expensive.

So here's the deal - you need to figure out what you're looking for in a tire - affordability, long lasting, best handling, all-weather, run flat, etc. Then you should determine if you plan to retain the OEM wheels or at least retain the OEM wheel sizes. If you are thinking of upgrading to larger wheels, your choices will be altered, because not every tire is available in every size. Everything is a compromise, and you need to figure out where and what you're willing to compromise.

On my black car, I'm running one inch larger diameter wheels and I don't like the ride and handling characteristics of run flats - so I run Michelin PS2's. Great maximum performance summer tire, but pricey.

On my Pace Car - I want to keep this car as close to stock as possible, so for me, it's the Goodyear OEM EMT's.

These are two totally different cars with different missions. I'm happy with my choices. But there are other tires that I could have chosen for the black car. I happen to like Michelin. BTW - the new Corvette ZR1 is the first Corvette ever to use Michelin as the OEM tire.....it is Michelin's version of the run flat as a PS2.

If I can be of any more assistance (or confusion - whatever the case may be) feel free to contact me.....good luck.
Not going to do any autocross or track driving with it. I bought basically for a pleasure car. I do notice the Goodyears are a bit noisey on the highway. I will say Michelin makes a good tire as I have them on my Suburban. They have 50K on them and show very little wear.
As always I appreciate all the info I receive here.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
law dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by rws.1
1. Are you sure they are the original tires or the previous owner just replaced the original tires with aftermarket identical tires?
have the dealer or a forum member run a GM VIS and find your build date. compare that to the age of your tires using the DOT code.

I have not heard of 40K miles on original runflats.

So what do you want... runflat = insurance
non runflat = performance?
maintaining stock = GoodYear runcraps.
the best runflats = Michelin PS2 ZP
the most cost effective = Kumho ecsta EMT

The best non run flat Michelin PS2 or goodYear GSD-3

The most cost effectiv enon runflat Genreal Exclaim UHP or Cooper Zeon
Yes, they are the original Goodyear Eagle F1`s. They`re not quite worn completely but I will need tires before Spring. It appears you are not fond of the Goodyear`s. While driving the car home on it`s 225 mile trip I did notice a lot of road noise.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Hammer99
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running Nitto Invos (non-runflat) and am very pleased. Huge improvement over the OEM Goodyears!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM
law dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Desiyaar1
I like this site because you can read the reviews.

The reviews on this tire were incredibly positive, even against the more pricey tires.

When the time comes to replace my tires, I will definitely try these. I dont believe they are run flats but at this price I could replace every tire and still pay less.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...pager.offset=0
It doesn`t say weather they are runflat`s. I will stay with runflat`s since there is no spare. Don`t want to get caught out in the middle of BFE with a flat.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
MagRedGeoff
Intermediate

After a lot of research on this forum, I chose Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's. Not wanting a pure summer tire, and wanting an EMT tire, these seemed like a good compromise.
The price for 4 from Tirerack was a little under $1000.00 shipped. Overall, they are quiet, good grip, great in the wet and are a 40,000+ mile tire.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Burgie
Pro

How many out here have actually had a flat tire on their vet while out driving? Curious as flat tires apper to be a vanishing breed unless actually running over something sharp on the roadways. And most carry tire repair service with their insurance so the question is, why put up with loud noisy tires and harsh rides along with compromised handling with OEM RFs?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My .02:

I, too, will be purchasing new tires for the 01 TR Vert in the spring. So far, my research has concluded the same as MagRedGeoff: for about $1,000, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's seem to be the best compromise. If cost is not an issue, go for the non-A/S ZP's, which, of course, are std. on the ZR1. I like the fact that both of these tires were specifically developed for the C5 and C6.

Absolutely DO NOT purchase another set of the original GY EMT's. That design is now more than 13 years old. I am tempted to go non-RF with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's (see above), in C5 sizes for $107front, $169 rear. They finished a solid #2 in Car & Driver's test of budget tires, on page 97, Aug. 09.

However, the thought of plugging a C5 tire in the dark on the shoulder of Rt. 95 scares me more than Elin with a 3 iron scares Tiger Woods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that AAA will only CHANGE a tire if you have a spare, not plug one. The only other cost effective EMT I would consider is Kumho.

Rickman
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 PM
law dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rickman
My .02:

I, too, will be purchasing new tires for the 01 TR Vert in the spring. So far, my research has concluded the same as MagRedGeoff: for about $1,000, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's seem to be the best compromise. If cost is not an issue, go for the non-A/S ZP's, which, of course, are std. on the ZR1. I like the fact that both of these tires were specifically developed for the C5 and C6.

Absolutely DO NOT purchase another set of the original GY EMT's. That design is now more than 13 years old. I am tempted to go non-RF with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's (see above), in C5 sizes for $107front, $169 rear. They finished a solid #2 in Car & Driver's test of budget tires, on page 97, Aug. 09.

However, the thought of plugging a C5 tire in the dark on the shoulder of Rt. 95 scares me more than Elin with a 3 iron scares Tiger Woods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that AAA will only CHANGE a tire if you have a spare, not plug one. The only other cost effective EMT I would consider is Kumho.

Rickman
Excellent advice from everyone. I have many to choose from that I would not have known about. I definately will not put the Goodyears back on it due to the road noise they produce.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you want to stick with runflats, I'd recommend either the Firestone Firehawks or the Michelin Pilot Sport runflats. For non-runflats, try the Goodyear GS-D3, Michelin Pilot Sports or Firestone Wide Ovals,
Old 12-06-2009, 03:41 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by law dog
I definately will not put the Goodyears back on it due to the road noise they produce.
Any 44,000 mile tire is going to produce road noise and likely be hard...just stands to reason regardless of the brand.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
law dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Any 44,000 mile tire is going to produce road noise and likely be hard...just stands to reason regardless of the brand.

Get notified of new replies

To Need New Tires

Quick Reply: Need New Tires