Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear main seal because of warped crankshaft? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 PM
dhobson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal because of warped crankshaft? WTF???

I've been to allen samuel chevy in Houston with my 2002 Coupe four times in the last 3 weeks. They said my rear main seal was leaking. They fixed it 3 times and on one occasion they said it was the oil pan gasket. I only paid the first time. I just picked up my car and I am waiting for the excess oil to burn off, but I fear that it will still be leaking because I am smelling the burning oil again. The service man told me that if the seal keeps going out it might be because of a warped crankshaft. Is that even possible? I drive my car about 20 miles a day back and forth to work. I have about 102,000 miles on it and I never race it. It is a daily driver that I bought new in 02. I used to fix 350 chevys after high school and I was an engine mechanic in the Navy. I am not a certified mechanic by any means, but a warped crankshaft?

Please give me advice, i don't want to go in again and be told that this time I have to pay to replace my crankshaft without any rebuttal. The car will be 8 years old in 2 months and this is the first time that I've had to change anything other than maintanence items. Lucky me, but looks like that is all about to change or am I being taken for a ride.

Please help.

Last edited by dhobson; 12-15-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Turned on instant email notification
Old 12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I won't say it can't be true but I'll say it's the first I've ever heard of. And if your crankshaft did "warp" I would think you would have a lot more problems than an oil leak.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Rich FTW
Navigator

That seems a bit fishy to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Cant he get a dial indicator on it? I would think if it was off ceneter that much, the rear main bearing would also have "issues" of some kind. If they yank the pan again, they should MEASURE some things and look the the rear main bearing too.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
k0ts
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could this be something as simple as a leaking valve cover, running down the back of the block and fooling the mechanic??

It's hard to believe that the crank is warped/bent.. I'd think there would be other problems.

I can understand them not wanting to see you again. It's a big job to get to that seal also remember, it's the mechanic who is warranting the work.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
dhobson
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by k0ts
Could this be something as simple as a leaking valve cover, running down the back of the block and fooling the mechanic??

It's hard to believe that the crank is warped/bent.. I'd think there would be other problems.

I can understand them not wanting to see you again. It's a big job to get to that seal also remember, it's the mechanic who is warranting the work.
I would hope that they would be smart enoughand they wouldn't take the engine down without knowing this after the first time. I would expect them to look for other excuses like the leaking pan gasket.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
k0ts
Burning Brakes

Just so you know, the transmission, clutch/torque converter, and flywheel has to be removed to get to that seal.. LOTS of work!!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
dhobson
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Cant he get a dial indicator on it? I would think if it was off ceneter that much, the rear main bearing would also have "issues" of some kind. If they yank the pan again, they should MEASURE some things and look the the rear main bearing too.
Thanks for this tip. At least i'll have another volley when I ask them WTF!!! So there should be a host of other problems with bearings if there is a problem with the crankshaft.
Anything else obvious? BTW I cannot see any oil from the top or sides. You literally have to jack it up and look right up under the center to see any oil and the oil is burning off of exhaust. Looks like it is under the gear shift area. (no it is not tranny oil). Anytime I stop at a light, I can just smell the stench.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

any vibrations? clutch out of balance? any back pressure? clogged pvc valve?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
carsangelop
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what they are trying to tell you is that the end of the crank is a little out of round.I have sen this happen on high mileage engines. I plays hell with rear main seals
Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

I would be willing to bet the crankshaft is not warped. Could be leaking from numerous places. The rear main could be installed wrong, rear cover seal, plug in the back of the crankshaft, ect. Sounds like the mechanic at the dealer is just guessing and getting it wrong.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that if the crank is that far out of round to make a new rear main seal leak then you would have a very serious vibration. Either they did not replace the seal (entire drivetrain needs to be removed) or the leak is somewhere else.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
k0ts
Burning Brakes

I'd like to know the outcome...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
I would be willing to bet the crankshaft is not warped. Could be leaking from numerous places. The rear main could be installed wrong, rear cover seal, plug in the back of the crankshaft, ect. Sounds like the mechanic at the dealer is just guessing and getting it wrong.

I guess you can never say never...but warped crankshaft Please If the crank was warped you would have other more serious problems I would think with rods, pistons, bearings etc..

Another dealer pesadilla (that's spanish for nightmare)
Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
billymz28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I CALL BS. Ive heard of a lot of wierd problems over the years specially working at a part store but a warped crank. I would have them replace the rear main again but call you when it is time to install it. And go watch them. Ls1 cranks have taken over 500 hp of abuse with no problems. And never heard of that.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask if they used new flywheel bolts, i think these have sealer on the threads. (Should be on your invoice) or if they put sealer on the old bolts, and reused them. I think GM calls for new bolts anytime you remove these.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by carsangelop
I think what they are trying to tell you is that the end of the crank is a little out of round.I have sen this happen on high mileage engines. I plays hell with rear main seals
This is what I was thinking OR the mechanic who replaced the seal "nicked" the crank where the seal sits when he removed the old one therefore causing it to tear up the replaced ones they did. Bet thats what it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear main seal because of warped crankshaft? WTF???

Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

In almost 60 years, I've heard of broken, damaged and cracked crankshafts. But I've never heard of a 'Warped' crankshaft. I'm not sure a crankshaft is even possible, or how it would pass inspection after it was both forged/machined and ready to be installed and still be warped ? I think you and Alllen chevrolet need sit down with a field tech from Chevrolet to sort this one out. I've never heard of it. !
Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

Warped Crank?? Pleez!! If the crank was warped you would be a rolling 7.0 earthquake on the Richter scale.

How long did they have the car each time. Given the amount of work that should tell you something. The next time around tell them when they get it torn down you want to come in and take a look at it before they re-assemble it. How much did they charge you for the first seal replacement?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
This is what I was thinking OR the mechanic who replaced the seal "nicked" the crank where the seal sits when he removed the old one therefore causing it to tear up the replaced ones they did. Bet thats what it is.

Or he put the new seal in backwards.

Just saying

Quick Reply: Rear main seal because of warped crankshaft? WTF???