***Introducing: Radioflyer’s Stealth Light Cannons (GP)***

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default ***Introducing: Radioflyer’s Stealth Light Cannons (GP)***

After nearly 5 months of research and development, I have designed the most advanced and powerful headlights ever developed for the C5 corvette: the Stealth Light Cannons!!

What makes Light Cannons special?

The Stealth Light Cannons are the result of nearly 5 months of intense research and development to produce the absolute best-performing headlights ever designed. They combine the optical technology of Hella (makers of the Mercedes, BMW and other headlight components) combined with custom designed Mounting frames and thermoformed ABS shrouds and Impact-resistant plastic lenses. In addition, every light cannon kit comes with a Hi-4 harness that allows your Low beams to remain on with your high beams (a feature that until recently required an in depth knowledge of vehicle electronics) I have personally tried or seen every commercially available kit for the C5 corvette and feel the Light cannons are by far the best performing product bar none.

Performance pictures:
These were taken on black asphalt, one of the most difficult surfaces to illuminate. The parking lot is used for marching band practice and the yardage markers give a good idea of distance. Lights are using a 6000K bulb (most popular color)

Low beam pattern ~30 ft:

Low + Highs:

Low beam view (from 20’ off the ground to show distance)

Distance tests:
Here the tripod is about the height of a toddler at about 100’

Here the tripod is set at the height of a deer at about 150’

Video tests:
Parking lot test:

Dark road test

Side street test:

Cosmetic pics:

Note the low profile of the lenses:

Installation:
The installation of these lights uses mostly OEM hardware and mounting points. Once the OEM lights are removed, it takes less than 5 minutes to install the new lights. The aluminum frame bolts to the front of the wheel well AND to the frame rail making this the most stable and rigid setup available. No, drilling, cutting, grinding or splicing is required.

Frame mounting points: The frames were designed with built in tolerances for rotational adjustment of the pattern. (note the cut section of my wheel well is for my persoanl version using E55 projectors, you will not need to cut here for your kit)

Adjusters:
Each projector has 3 adjuster bolts with nylon locking nuts. Adjustment is accomplished by using a 10mm open end wrench to adjust the nuts on both side of the frame enabling the adjustments to be “locked” into place.

The main Lens is made from UV-treated PETG (Impact resistance of polycarbonate but easier to thermoform. It is easily painted to match your paintjob.

The Lens and Shroud are secured to each other with 3 stainless steel #6 bolts washer and nylon locking nuts. There is a foam weather seal around the edges of the shroud to prevent water intrusion even during power washing. They mount using the factory fender bolt and using a supplied U-nut/bolt combo to replace the bumper mounting clip.

What makes Light Cannons superior to other options?
Pop up headlights:

- OEM: Your OEM headlights have a horrible pattern and the bulb only produces 1000 lumens. It’s almost dangerous to drive on an unlit or poorly lit road

- Aftermarket halogen bulbs: These draw more wattage and will often fail faster than OEM bulbs. In addition most “blue tinted” bulbs produce less usable light since the tinting eats up the light output

- HID plug and play kits: The output of the HID bulbs are limited to the poor reflector and lens of the OEM light. There’s often a horrible glare and the output has hotspots that hamper your night vision.

- T84 Euro spec headlights: This kit requires 120 watts of power to get the same amount of output as the light cannon kit and the T84s are not HID friendly housings.

- ACA: While the low beams are decent, but many have reported the high beams section of the housing is not correctly aligned with the low beams resulting in a high beam that shoots into the sky instead of down the road. Lets also not forget that the pop ups of any

- Light Cannons: while these are the best performing Pop up headlights, The 60mm projector features a Clear and larger focusing lens for a wider, sharper and more intense pattern. In addition ALL pop up headlights produce a significant effect on aerodynamics and according to one corvette magazine article, are the equivalent of dragging a 50 pound weight behind your car

- Fixed headlights:

DEPO: These lights have by far the largest “frog eyes” of any of the fixed headlights and are almost as bad of a aerodynamic drag issues as pop ups….except they don’t retract. The Depo lights are also prone to micro-fracturing due to the poor quality plastic used in the main lens.

Specter Werkes: Slightly more aerodynamic than the Depos, they still have the frog eyes. The mounting platform produces a notable vibration in the headlights. The lens mounting design uses exposed screws that some may find aesthetically questionable

Type 66: A little known fixed kit that uses poor quality optics, and materials….not to mention a frog eye lens.

Breathless: While the lens and mounting system are a good design, the parabolic reflector low beam produces a questionable output and pattern…even with the Catz voltage booster.

What you get:

Base Kit: $1275 shipped
Includes:
- Hella 60mm projector low beams
- Hella 60mm projector high beams
- Reinforced Aluminum mounting Frames
- Stainless Hardware
- Thermoformed ABS Shrouds
- PETG Main lens
- 55w slim HID kit with Ballasts and Bulbs
- 65w High beam bulb,
- Hi-4 relay circuit
- Detailed installation instructions via Download link.

Compare brightness to OEM headlight low beam bulb (1000 lumens)
Bulb color options:
4300K – Halogen yellow (3200 lumens) for OEM look
5000K – Pure White (3000lumens) recommended for more useable light
6000K – White with blue tint (2900 lumens) most popular
8000K – Iceburg Blue (2600 lumens) for show

GP info:
The GP will last until Friday Jan 15, 2010. To get in the GP, please post on this thread and send a PM with the title “SLC GP info” stating your HID color preference. Once the GP time has expired, I will send payment information to those who have PM-ed me. Construction time is more than 3 weeks. Shipping will be via UPS and include tracking information upon shipment.

If you’re interested in the development of these lights, check out the R&D thread here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...t-process.html

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer97; 01-09-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Those look awesome. Can't wait to see them painted to match the cars
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

George are the highs HID or a standard bulb? I only see a pair of ballasts and HID bulbs in the pictures.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by fireman591
George are the highs HID or a standard bulb? I only see a pair of ballasts and HID bulbs in the pictures.
Highs are 65w halogen. The frame prevents the use of a standard HID bulb. Personally I feel halogen is better for high beams.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Looks amazing.. it updates the look of the car a lot.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can I purchase just the light casing and shrouds? I already have HID bulbs and ballasts.. Does your kit use H7 bulbs? If so would you knock some off the price?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mark b
can I purchase just the light casing and shrouds? I already have HID bulbs and ballasts.. Does your kit use H7 bulbs? If so would you knock some off the price?
the kit uses 9005 bulbs for both high and low projectors.

I do have 4 sets of imprefect prototype shrouds i will sell knocking $50 off the price.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
corvetteracer22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill take a set Great job by the way! Ill pm you shortly
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
98GreenC5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Stealth Light Cannons...........

I'll take a set.............
Old 01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Castrellon
Racer

Looks like a deal.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I kept up with these for most of the process and have to say they turned out very well.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

those of you on the fence will appreciate this comparison vid:

Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Great job and very high quality work as always my man! Congrats
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Mr. Lau
Pro

If I had the resources, I'd buy this in a flash! Great workmanship and quality, nice job!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Castrellon
Racer

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
those of you on the fence will appreciate this comparison vid:

Wait a minute, that's apples to oranges. You'd need a comparison down the same street, same time of day/night.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Castrellon
Wait a minute, that's apples to oranges. You'd need a comparison down the same street, same time of day/night.
replicating the exact same conditions is highly unlikely, but i'll see what i can do. Possibly on monday since the weather here is making road travel unsafe....mostly cause houston drivers aren't used to freezing temperatures.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

It would be possible to shorten production time if i were to take payment upon order instead of waiting until jan 15 as originally proposed. (this will allow me to order the items that take longer to produce now and have them ready sooner)

All in favor?

Get notified of new replies

To ***Introducing: Radioflyer’s Stealth Light Cannons (GP)***

Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
98GreenC5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It would be possible to shorten production time if i were to take payment upon order instead of waiting until jan 15 as originally proposed. (this will allow me to order the items that take longer to produce now and have them ready sooner)

All in favor?
Sounds good to me........
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ok I'm ready for mine
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Castrellon
Racer

replicating the exact same conditions is highly unlikely, but i'll see what i can do. Possibly on monday since the weather here is making road travel unsafe....mostly cause houston drivers aren't used to freezing temperatures.
Mhmm. Weather permitting. Also, I'm in favor of payment now. Still get the GP price?

Quick Reply: ***Introducing: Radioflyer’s Stealth Light Cannons (GP)***