General Alert For SMT Switchback LED Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default General Alert For SMT Switchback LED Owners

I don't know if this has already been covered - I ran a search and found nothing - so forgive me if I am duplicating efforts here, but after having suffered the third failure of an SMT switchback LED in less than a year, I've finally gotten some answers from illumination.com

The first set I had were the 20 stack LED's. They worked great for awhile, then either the white or amber function would cease to function, mysteriously.

So when the second one failed in less than six months, I ordered the 48 LED tower, and liked how it fit easier into the housing. Well, after having to jump my battery the other day, I noticed that the DRL on one side was out ($H@T!!!!)

I just bought these ****'s in October, so I wrote a note to autolumination to see if they were still under warranty. They are not. But they wrote back and said "are you using load levelers"? My reaction: "WTF"? You mean the hyperflass bypass harness? Nope.

According to autolumination:

There are several causes of voltage related failures on leds. Some vehicles chronically cause premature led failures. This is normally related to excess voltage, voltage spikes, high levels of AC current being generated from the alternator, or excessive ambient heat. While glass bulbs are slow to react to rapid surges, leds can be destroyed in milliseconds from a sudden spike or chronic high voltage, or excessive AC current from an alternator that has one or more burned out diodes. Additionally, led bulbs should only be used in areas where the ambient temperature is less than 150F.

If the bulbs are being used in DRL positions, especially GM DRL's, we highly recommend using only our patented 30 led SMT, 20 led tower II or 48 led SMT bulbs in combination with an led protector. If these precautions are not taken, the leds will fail prematurely in most DRL applications.

The GM vehicle DRLs, are problematic. All the truck DRLs have a known circuitry issue with them and the use of leds has to be done exactly right to allow them to hold up.

We are seeing those same issues with the high performance Vettes.

Sounds like in your case it was the charging of the battery that did them in.

Leds cannot tolerate voltage over 14.5 volts. They are destroyed literally in a nanosecond.

The led protectors will increase the voltage they can tolerate.

If the bulbs are being used in DRL positions, especially GM DRL's, we highly recommend using only our patented 30 led SMT, 20 led tower II or 48 led SMT bulbs in combination with an led protector. If these precautions are not taken, the leds will fail prematurely in most DRL applications.

If the bulbs are being used in gauges with a dimmer, always set the dimmer to 80% or less. This minor adjustment will make the leds last ten times as long in some vehicles with chronic voltage issues.

If the bulbs are being used in an application with no dimmer, we have a new led protector that can be spliced into the + wire to protect against minor voltage surges. These work great in vehicles that have high voltage, or are prone to voltage surges. They can also help protect the leds from:

1. Switching on the ignition & starting the engine.

2. Changing or disconnecting the battery.

3. Charging the battery with an auxiliary battery charger, or revving the engine hard with a weak or dead battery.

4. Using jumper cables.

These are +$1.99 each, and can be purchased from the Load Equalizer page here :

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

So I've ordered another 48 LED stack and a pair of "load protectors" to splice in. I'm hoping this will FINALLY solve the short life span of these otherwise bitchen lights.

I also told the representative that it would be REAL NICE if they posted a disclaimer about the DELICATE nature of these things and the requirement for load levelers at the point of purchase to prevent poor SOB's like me from having to buy NEW BULBS when they fail for reasons that are now WELL KNOWN to autoluminations. Let's see if they make any changes to their web site. Don't hold your breath.

UPDATE: You can disregard all this crap. Read my last posts near the end of this thread for the straight dope, on a couple of real dopes. Me, for getting suckered, and the person I dealt with at Superilluminations/Autoilluminations, for being a hustler and a total jackass.

Last edited by JMc; 03-01-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Excellent info. Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention. I have been considering the switch-over for some time.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Is this just for DRL's? Or does it also effect the halo tails?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

They don't offer a warranty?

Just to clear up any confusion for those that have bought from us or thinking about it we do not use the same bulbs as they do.

Ours have been reliable bulbs. We cover them with a 1 year warranty as well if a bulb did happen to go out.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by SSTG
Is this just for DRL's? Or does it also effect the halo tails?
Halo tails don't have that problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

I just pm'd you about this. LOL. That's why I bought from you.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

If you have a hyperflash bypass harness, does that do the same thing as the load protectors? Also questioning whether the Halo LEDs are OK or if this is just the corner lamps. I regularly use a battery tender so I don't want that to cause any problems.

I have not heard about any issues with the Halo LEDs.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
They don't offer a warranty?

Just to clear up any confusion we do not use the same bulbs as they do.

Ours have been reliable bulbs. We cover them with a 1 year warranty as well if a bulb did happen to go out.
I thought that they had a patent on these bulbs. Well, if you sell different ones that aren't susceptible to voltage spikes, then terrific.

And just as the header implies, this is with respect to the LED switchbacks for the front corners ONLY. This has nothing to do with HALO LED tail lights. Period. They seem to be quite hardy in comparison.

But for anyone purchasing through autoilluminations, there you go. I guess their warranty is 90 days and I just passed it or some damn thing. Anyway, it sucks. I hope these "load levelers" take the mystery out of these things.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patches
Excellent info. Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention. I have been considering the switch-over for some time.
You're welcome. The first switchbacks I purchased were through Richard at Corvette Enhancements who took care of me with free replacements. But he didn't stock the 48 LED type and after two failures with the 20 LED type, I went direct to autoilluminations.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmm...I've been through a few sets of these as well and they told me that they just thought that because of all the intricate soldering required on these that the solder joints probably just failed.

So where do you hook those LED protectors up at?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rpm462
Hmm...I've been through a few sets of these as well and they told me that they just thought that because of all the intricate soldering required on these that the solder joints probably just failed.

So where do you hook those LED protectors up at?
You just cut the positive wire to the DRL's and the the load protector goes in the middle. Looks like the connectors on the end of the capacitor or whatever it is just crimp down on the ends of the + wire that you just cut to splice it back together.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
marinehacker202
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like if i make the switch I'll be going to JW.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by marinehacker202
sounds like if i make the switch I'll be going to JW.
Well, he's DEFINITELY got the better warranty, no question about it. I am a little skeptical that the bulbs are designed or manufactured any differently, however. But if no one who has ever purchased a switchback from JW has ever had a failure after jumping their battery, then I will assume that his bulbs are indeed different. But for anyone who has them already and don't want to mess around taking the chance of having to replace an expensive bulb, the load protector might be worth the add $4 total investment. If they really work, of course. Time will tell.

Last edited by JMc; 01-30-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by JMc
You just cut the positive wire to the DRL's and the the load protector goes in the middle. Looks like the connectors on the end of the capacitor or whatever it is just crimp down on the ends of the + wire that you just cut to splice it back together.
The way I read it is you put the protector on the neg wire, I could be wrong.....

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

From the information presented for these LED Protectors, it has to be a resistor to drop the voltage a bit since there is no indication of polarity on the device.

Gary
Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad I bought from JW!!!!! That's why we support our vendors. because they support us ; )
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just jumped mine 3 days ago.
Battery dead, dead, dead.
No issues, so far...

Get notified of new replies

To General Alert For SMT Switchback LED Owners

Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

OK so what is the 'load leveler'? A resistor of some sort?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yep a resistor... I would suspect a very small one but able to handle higher wattages. I'm not a fan of those crimp on vampire connectors so I would cut those off and solder the "Protectors" in JMC... IMHO
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
The way I read it is you put the protector on the neg wire, I could be wrong.....

I SEE THIS AS ON THE GROUND WIRE AS WELL ???

I am experiencing this problem with my switchback's as well.

Quick Reply: General Alert For SMT Switchback LED Owners