Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Air Leak at Top of Window!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Passenger Air Leak at Top of Window!

Ok, I have read the leak thread up and down. I searched just about everything. I have adjusted my window at both spots. Still the same result happens when i drive above 75mph, Loud wind noise (air leak). From what my passenger is saying is that the air leak is coming from the top of the window towards the back of the window. The weatherstripping is in good condition. So I do not see why this could be a problem. Now from what i have also read is that i may have to remove the door panel and adjust the window from there. There is a possibility the window could have adjusted itself out of position moving either forward or backwards.

It is very annoying to have an air leak. I always have to turn the radio up, but i know my passenger can hear it from their right ear. Specially when it gets windy outside and im on the freeway. Its bad. Has anyone fixed this annoying air leak after adjusting the two bolts at the bottom of the door? Im upset and annoyed that adjusting those two bolts is not solving my problem. Any ideas would be helpful. Also is there a write up on where to adjust if i do take the panel off?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Don't go over 74 mph. That will take care of that problem.

Sorry I couldn't resist that. Is this on a coupe or roadster? If it is a coupe, have you checked to see if the top needs a little adjustment to get it to fit tighter. I guess it would be the same for the roadster.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TR6speed
Don't go over 74 mph. That will take care of that problem.

Sorry I couldn't resist that. Is this on a coupe or roadster? If it is a coupe, have you checked to see if the top needs a little adjustment to get it to fit tighter. I guess it would be the same for the roadster.
Its a Z06. Ive done all the tip in adjustments and still get air leak. Its driving me insane lol...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

How does the seal look? Is it distorted? You can treat it with dielectric grease if its just dry. That may help. Is the blowout clip still in place?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DeeGee
How does the seal look? Is it distorted? You can treat it with dielectric grease if its just dry. That may help. Is the blowout clip still in place?
Yes the clip in there. That is the lip looking thing sticking about 1/4 inch out from the top of the window right and that acts as a stopper for the window in a way? The seal looks good. I may try that dielectric grease. That is the stuff they try to sell you for the spark plugs right?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the blow-out clip to make sure it is seated properly and is holding the window in place? Also, you would have to do a search but you can also move the blow-out clip one screw over; that has apparently been proven to help.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Yes the clip in there. That is the lip looking thing sticking about 1/4 inch out from the top of the window right and that acts as a stopper for the window in a way? The seal looks good. I may try that dielectric grease. That is the stuff they try to sell you for the spark plugs right?
If the seals good and the clips in place (right both times) I'd try dielectric. Its expensive stuff for the dribble you get but its good. use sparingly.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slider-01
Have you checked the blow-out clip to make sure it is seated properly and is holding the window in place? Also, you would have to do a search but you can also move the blow-out clip one screw over; that has apparently been proven to help.
I wont be able to move the clip back. I also had the water leak and removed everything off the roof and applied tons of rtv. So i think that thing may be stuck now lol... But it still had a window air leak before i fixed my water leak.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I wont be able to move the clip back. I also had the water leak and removed everything off the roof and applied tons of rtv. So i think that thing may be stuck now lol... But it still had a window air leak before i fixed my water leak.
OK, then take a rubber mallet to the blow out clip, carefully as it doesn't take much to bend it. I think the service manual calls for a 1mm clearance or something like that; might be more. I did it and it solved the problem the tip in didn't. Also used silicone grease made for weatherstripping which helped also. Only get any wind noise now when I encounter a cross wind and even then it isn't bad.

Check out this post if you haven't seen it already.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1564461037-post18.html

Last edited by Slider-01; 02-02-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Yea cross winds for me are terrible. Ill have to check that out when i get home. This silicone grease is the same as the dielectric grease right? Ill update this thread the next time i take the car. Its crappy rainy weather here in houston right now. But thanks for all the advice here.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea cross winds for me are terrible. Ill have to check that out when i get home. This silicone grease is the same as the dielectric grease right? Ill update this thread the next time i take the car. Its crappy rainy weather here in houston right now. But thanks for all the advice here.
Dielectric grease and silicone grease are similar I believe but dielectric is supposedly conductive which is why it is used in conjunction with electrical contacts. I have used both and bought a pretty large tube of silicone grease supposedly for weatherstripping from Mid America for a pretty reasonable cost. Dielectric grease gets pricey and you don't get much in a tube. I think using either works just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Air Leak at Top of Window!

Quick Reply: Passenger Air Leak at Top of Window!