Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Did the CLB - Column Lock Bypass - BUT ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Finally Did the CLB - Column Lock Bypass - BUT ???

Today I finally overcame my fears and I installed the CLB.

I was cinfused when I saw the Dealer Fix in it which I assume was that K-Harness as discussed here. It had so many wires hooked to it.

But I followed directions as found on this forum and I just removed it and pretended I was starting from a blank slate.

I removed the K-Harness - Hooked up the New CLB that I purchased from Corvettes of Houston as recomended here on the forum.

I then used the cigarette lighter adapter (included) and followed directions. BUT I forgot to un-hook the cig lighter adapter before turning the key to on.

I got the "Remove Key and wait 10 sec message). So I did that and I also removed the cig lighter at that point because I guess this just unlocks the mechanism in the steering column and mine did not have that prob.

Once I waited 10 or 15 seconds I tried to start the car again and it seems OK. Yeaaaa !

NOW MY FIRST QUESTION - What do you do with the plug that you disconected - the plug that comes out of the steering column. It is the plug that was unhooked in order to plug tghe new CLB in.... THis plug now does not have a home so I just put black elect tape over it and left it hanging under the knee kick panel - Was I supposed to do something else with that plug ?

Did I do everything correct if the car is running OK now and no messages.

ANOTHER QUESTION - I heard on the forum that the Dealer Fix installs a 2 mile per hour mechanism so that if the computer sences that your column is locked it won't allow you to drive over 2 mph.

How do I take that 2 MPH program out or do I need to or was it built into that K-Harness that I removed ???

Last edited by saxtech; 03-14-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been over a year since I installed my CLB,but I'm pretty sure the plug that used to go to the column lock motor just gets left hanging there,since it doesn't get used anymore.
And as for the 2mph thing,I think you need to have the dealer program it out,or get someone with a Tech II programmer to do it.
I don't think they can program it totally out,rather they just set the fuel cutoff to 299mph,or something like that.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by Carcass
It's been over a year since I installed my CLB,but I'm pretty sure the plug that used to go to the column lock motor just gets left hanging there,since it doesn't get used anymore.
And as for the 2mph thing,I think you need to have the dealer program it out,or get someone with a Tech II programmer to do it.
I don't think they can program it totally out,rather they just set the fuel cutoff to 299mph,or something like that.
You gotta be kidding ?

You mean that putting the CLB From Corvettes of Dallas was not enough ? I still have to go to the dealer ?

Is it necessary to get this 2 mph issue programmed out of my system if I have the CLB from Corvettes of Dallas installed ? ?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM
feb2910
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saxtech
You gotta be kidding ?

You mean that putting the CLB From Corvettes of Dallas was not enough ? I still have to go to the dealer ?

Is it necessary to get this 2 mph issue programmed out of my system if I have the CLB from Corvettes of Dallas installed ? ?
a) dealer will NOT remove the 2mph fuel shutoff. it was mandated by thr nhtsa recall. if they were to remove it they open themselves to liability issues
b) tech ii can NOT set the fuel shutoff . you need either a hp tuners or efi live tuner software. . tech ii was used by the dealer to load an entire pcm load provided by gm that contained the 2mph fuel shutoff.
c) you do not need to reprogram the fuel shutoff if you have installed a clb. the clb is a replacement for communicating to the bcm than was the factory system. most with a clb stop with that.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
saxtech
Pro

I'm so glad my CLB from Corvettes of Houston is done now. I hope everything is OK with it and the dreaded 2 MPH does not pop up.

Took the Vette on a 3 hours cruise today and no type of messages so my fingers are still crossed.

It amazes me why GM didn't do this simple CLB instead of the complicated K-Harness that has issues.

Have any of you guys had any problems or issues after installing the Corvettes of Houston's CLB ?

Any worries about the 2mph thingy ?

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Did the CLB - Column Lock Bypass - BUT ???

Quick Reply: Finally Did the CLB - Column Lock Bypass - BUT ???