Sponsored by:

Long Post Long Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
hill536
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Long Post Long Road Trip

This is a long post for those that have an interest in a road trip and the up and downside of taking our 2001 C5, six speed, convertible more than 5000 miles in a month. The mods are a BBK cold air and a Magna Flow exhaust and new Michelin Pilot Sports.

My wife and I started from Lakeland Florida in mid April and day 1 took us to Anniston Alabama on one tank of gas. Incredible performance from the car, a convertible with the top up and a quiet 69 MPH on the cruise control. That speed assures virtually no drone from the magna-flows and the car got 29.5 MPG.

Speed control was for two reasons, one the drone the second, and most important, time to react to the tire carcasses and other debris on the Interstate. It’s not even summer and parts of recapped truck tires are all over the place, This started around the Atlanta by-pass.

Day two took us from Anniston where the only real thrills Alabama offered was because it was a week before the Talladega race and lot’s of traffic wanting to go three wide on two lane highways. We headed north to Bowling Green where we saw the museum and returned the next day for a good walk thru. That afternoon we toured the Corvette plant and that was impressive. I met a guy working the line nine years ago and thanked him for building the car. His supervisor came over asking “What’s up?” So we told her. Also, I wouldn’t suggest that its “okay” for anyone take a tour of the test track after closing … but the gate was open!

The following day was in Muncie Indiana on business. Maybe unfair but the days after winter found potholes all over the place and more truck tire carcasses. We’ve encountered (and luckily missed) up to twelve of them in the road so far. It rained for two days making potholes and puddles look alike. The secondary roads were great north of Muncie, with no real threat from Amish carriages in NW Indiana and the roads seemed to get better for the trip into Michigan. Around Grand Rapids and the central part of the state the roads did need some repair. It got somewhat better north of Grayling and across the UP into Marquette. The Mackinac Bridge is something you have to do with the top down the along Hwy 2 along the southern shore of the UP. We’ve logged 1600 miles and the Michigan part of the trip saw 30.59 mpg on one segment.

Heading south from the UP, we spent the night near West Branch and the morning journey to Bay City found three dead deer and a number of other small animals along I75. The expansion strips in the concrete have been repaired to the point they’re two feet wide. The car was not comfortable at 65mph and the right lane was bone shattering. At one point a curve in the road caused such bad wheel hop the Active Handling got aggressive. This held true into Ohio where we took a break from the interstate highway and took a secondary road stopping at Camp Perry. The day’s drive was nerve racking for the roads, maintenances and upkeep are hideous.

The next days trip took us along I90 to Bloomfield and then Ithaca New York. I really feared the worse but the roads were not that bad. Before we started we got an EZ pass from New York State and for a $25 one time deposit we passed the toll booths and never had to stop once. The thing is good for use in the north east to as far south as Virginia. The EZ pass is a must and Auto Zone had suction cup mounts for it rather than the standard stick on with Velcro.

We spent a week in the New York metropolitan area, we avoided the city. All the roads are loaded with potholes and you can see every conceivable part of a car that the potholes made fall off a car. One idiot, obviously not seeing the low slung Corvette, couldn’t wait in the oncoming bumper to bumper traffic so he pulled into my lane. He almost hit us. His wife?? started screaming at him until he backed up. It was close though!! One tip, the potholes are invisible at night and you really need a Land Rover with roof rack off road lights.

Now for some good news. We traveled south thru Pennsylvania and other than Rt. 22 the roads were great. We took I81 to New Market Virginia where you have to eat at the Southern Kitchen. Then on to the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway and that drive is a MUST. We took the trip down the road and then back north. I can’t tell you that the speed limit was adhered to but it makes you proud to own a Vette. The worst part was a Jeep CJ coming downhill at us and he decided he wanted MY APEX. He swerved right and if he’s any kind of normal, he should have scared the $*it out of himself . The next morning we drove to a car wash to get cat paws and hairball off the top. Then went on to the Blue Ridge for the second day and it rained … literally “0” visibility for the entire trip to Roanoke and when it wasn‘t raining we were above the clouds. Toughest day for animals starting with the cat and then the dog in the road that did not move. It’s a good thing we were going slow because it just eyeballed us as we rolled past. The Blue Ridge is a must if you own a Corvette.

We stayed for five nights in Charlotte, seeing the new NASCAR Museum open and then attended the NRA annual meeting. We couldn’t believe how that city has grown over the past ten years. Leaving there headed south again toward home with a stop in Beaufort and the tour of MCRD Parris Island. Like the dog in Virginia I am sure that at least one recruit “eyeballed” the car as it passed because he seemed to be getting some instant attention from his DI. Those that have been there will know what I mean.

The rest of the trip meant going home and went as smooth as the beginning of the trip. Not a hiccup from the car.

As a side note and in closing 10% of the mileage of my Vette was put on in the last 30 days. In that time . I’m glad I used the nylon front bumper mask I got from Southern Car Parts a while ago. It’s a must for a trip like this. I got the matching mirror covers in Bowling Green. Both wash in the hotel tub overnight and are dry by morning! The trip stats breakdown to an average of 26.88 MPG, 5108 miles, $544.51 in fuel (93 octane) at 14 fill ups, about a half-dozen car washes. Air pressure in the tires stayed correct for the entire trip. Most important to me at least is that I am no longer afraid to use it as it was intended to be used and love the car even more. While in Charlotte I talked to a guy that has a 2008 Z51 with 2000 miles on it. Wanting to keep it new he listened to the trip stories and then said he really like to drive his more. I suggested he do it and I think he will. Tomorrow my buddy at the dealership will have her detailed.

Last edited by hill536; 05-18-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice trip. I just did 2053mi from Raleigh NC to Key West with couple stops in Savannah GA , Hollywood FL & Key Largo. Got an 01 Couple thats odometer turned 50K during the trip and it was great. As you described, not an issue with the car. I might have made out weather wise a little better than you - NOT A DROP OF RAIN THE ENTIRE 12 DAYS!!!!
I'm running the GY runcraps, but my wife still thought the ride was good, no complaints at all.

As you can see below, I bought a bra from a fellow forum member and mirror covers from MidAmerica for protection....

Old 05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Mark I
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story.

Yes, here in NY you have an adventure with the road conditions.

The tire cap problem is a real issue. In FL 2 weeks ago a truck flipped one up into the front of my Mustang. Took out the lower grill and knocked out the right front signal light. Just happy it didn't come into the windshield and happy I don't keep the vette there or I would have been driving it.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great trip cool
Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
quarter mile malone
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i live in bay city MI, what part did you go through?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super story, thanks for sharing. The longer and more detailed the story the better for sure.

Pics?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
o5charlie
Instructor

Sounds like a terrific trip. Glad you and the wife enjoyed it so much. Makes one proud to live in such a great country as this where we can make trips like that in such a great car.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by dobewillie
Great trip cool
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sounds like a fun trip!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark I
Great story.

The tire cap problem is a real issue. In FL 2 weeks ago a truck flipped one up into the front of my Mustang. Took out the lower grill and knocked out the right front signal light. Just happy it didn't come into the windshield and happy I don't keep the vette there or I would have been driving it.
Try hitting one of these skins while riding your motorcycle! I hit one about 7 years ago on my sport bike after a truck in front of me kicked it up in the air. I had no time to react. Came down right in front of me. I stood up on the pegs, ran it over and the end of it smacked me on my left boot tip as I was traveling around 80 mph. I was literally afraid to look down at my foot. Thought it might be gone or facing the other way. Luckily it was still there. The impact was so hard that the tire hitting my boot broke the foot peg "brace", an articulated triangle made of billet aluminum. The steel toe-ed boot save my foot. Hurt plenty of good for several days, and had to wire my peg back in place, but I managed the return trip ok.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just relaying an interesting experience with these suckers. Watch out if you're on 2 wheels.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, it sounds like you had a great trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Post Long Road Trip

Quick Reply: Long Post Long Road Trip