Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Guru's step inside....

Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Stereo Guru's step inside....

*note*
I also have this thread posted in the stereo section...bare with me, it might be a little long.

Here is my dilemma...I replaced the factory HU with one from Power Acustik. I bought the Metra xsvi-2004 that acts as an interface between the HU and the factory amp. I liked the idea of it being plug and play and allowing the HU to keep the RAP function of the car. Anyways, the first unit I got gave me problems right off the bat. It was easy enough to install but the potentionometers (sub/amp adjustments) did not work. I sent it back for another and just received it the other day.

I installed it yesterday and I now seem to be having an issue with the AMP...I have sound from all 4 speakers BUT the amp/subs are not kicking in. Basically it sounds like crap! The RAP works fine though. So I disconnected the battery and reinstalled the factory stereo to reset the the car's computer (from what I was told by Metra tech's). I reinstalled the HU again after following the proper process of disconnecting the battery and such. It seems I was able to get the rear subs to work, but not the fronts. After doing much research, pin #8 from the factory harness(Drk Grn) needs to be connected to the blue/white REM/AMP wire from the HU. Well, the harness is already setup that the blue/white is indeed connecting to the Drk Grn, so I'm now at a loss.

Metra xsvi-2004 seems to be several complaints on the same issue I'm referring to. Their is a power indicator on the silver box that does not illuminate so it gives no indication if it even has power. You have to go by sound and play with fade/balance to see if the amp is indeed working. The instructions were shoddy at best, and tech support...well, I've learned more through reading on this forum then I did with talking to one of their techs.

All I want to do is to get this damn thing working before I decide to return the Metra piece of crap and try a different route. I'm know some people have had good experience with this item, and others, like me, not so much. I'm open to suggestion, and hoping that someone who has dealt with this issue can help me resolve it.

Any help appreciated!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

No idea what you have done.

Have you removed all of the bose speakers and inline amps?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by Got uid0
No idea what you have done.

Have you removed all of the bose speakers and inline amps?
No. I want to retain my factory speakers and AMP...that is what the xsvi-2004 is suppose to allow you to do. It is an interface between the AMP and aftermarket HU.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

...ditch the bose stuff...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
...ditch the bose stuff...
lol, that will be a last resort. I'd rather spend the money on performance/exterior mods.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I believe you need a PAC adapter to get your OEM front speakers to work. The exact model number is on the C5 Audio FAQ sticky.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I believe you need a PAC adapter to get your OEM front speakers to work. The exact model number is on the C5 Audio FAQ sticky.

I installed a PA radio (ref: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...din-1-5-a.html ); and used the following devices:
SVEN2 level converter
SVHGM4 harness
40-gm10 antenna cable adapter

This setup "woke-up" the factory speakers; especially the sub woofers. The weak spot with the C5 IMO wasn't the Bose speaker system... it's the factory head unit.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

BTW; my hard drive based MP3 player is for sale. Includes the main chassis, remote control head, mobile bracket, home dock, factory PIE radio interface:

(not shown in the pic is the home docking station)

I had this mounted in the same exact place as where the factory CD changer would go; and the control head located up front.

Complete outfit, nothing else to buy.

tim-yvonne@juno.com

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo Guru's step inside....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo Guru's step inside....