Fix-A-Flat???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Default Fix-A-Flat???

Maybe I am behind the times just saw a commerical for Fix-a-Flat....they are claiming this is tire sensor safe???
Thoughts?
Experience?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Amherst
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience yet with this new "safe" claim but I've seen it too. Used regular Fix A Flat to get my son's F150 to a shop and it worked great.

Even if you are risking a $50-$100 (depending on model year system) TPM I'd say if this product gets you to a tire retailer then it's worth it. Sacrifice the TPM. You're saving the cost of a tow - and even if you have AAA (free towing) you're saving the potential damage from towing a car that regularly scrapes the street on it's own and doesn't take kindly to be hauled up on a flatbed or pulled at a strange angle.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some good advice there - especially if you are in an unfamiliar location or just don't want to take the chance with a tow truck damaging the car. Obviously if you run run-flats you don't need this, but I would say keeping a can of it in the car for emergencies wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Agreed good advice.....but the question remains, does it really NOT damage the sensor?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The new Slime works great! I've seen it used on 2 cars with TPMS systems(not vettes), and the sensors worked perfectly fine afterward.
All the tire tech did was take the sensor out, and blow compressed air into the pressure hole to clear it out, and put the sensor back in.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I keep a can of the fix-a-flat in every vehicle I own.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sneakelman
The new Slime works great! I've seen it used on 2 cars with TPMS systems(not vettes), and the sensors worked perfectly fine afterward.
All the tire tech did was take the sensor out, and blow compressed air into the pressure hole to clear it out, and put the sensor back in.
From what I hear this is the way to go and what I keep on hand just in case the plug won't work or not in a good area (safety or other wise) to attempt the repair. For now I also keep one of my old rear tires in my hatch as a spare should I get into trouble until I sell my old rims.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The best fix-a-flat, IMHO, is a AAA flatbed tow.

My Z06 doesn't have run flats. I do use the fix-a-flat kit that comes with the car for the air pump and tire gauge though. I used it at the track a bunch of times to keep the air pressure just right. I'd never try to fix my tire with the fix-a-flat stuff though.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Originally Posted by sneakelman
They claim Slime is water soluble. I'll use it in a pinch. LIke someone else mentioned, the price of a TPS might be worth it to get home or to a tire shop. AAA is really great if they send you a properly equiped truck, one that can load a vette without wrecking something.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

how far can you typically go when using the fix-a-flat or slime?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

It depends on whats going on with the tire. In a lot of cases (slow leak) it stops the leak completely, you could go as far as you wanted.

Anytime Ive had to use it , its worked for me but I only went home and had the tire repaired the next day.

Never used it on the vette, but I would (better than a tow). I do use RF's but would put slime or whatever in if it wasnt hiolding air well. Like I said, I would probably be replacing the tire anyway but on the outside chance that it was something that was easily repaired and didnt effect the speed rating, Id want to not stress the sidewall between when I picked up the puncture and when I could get it fixed unnecessarily.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM
GHL4505
Racer

That stuff worked for me!

It was 30+ years ago when I walked out to the garage and found I had a flat tire. I remembered, I had bought a can of fix-a-flat so thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. The pressure in the can pumped up the tire to about 25lbs. That was good enough to get me the few miles to work. When I got to work I used the compressor to fill the tire to the right tire pressure. I checked the tire at lunch and it was still holding the pressure. I was going to get new tires, so I thought I'd wait and just have the new tires put on instead of fixing the flat. Well, a few days turned into a few weeks by the time I got around to getting the tires. I had all but forgotten about the flat tire. When the tire was pulled, the tire guy looked at me and said . . . take a look at this. It had three nails in it, all sticking through the inside of the tire.

That was when I was young and dumb. Didn't have freeways in that little town, back then. So, there was no high speed driving. Now that I'm old and tired, if anything goes wrong with the car it's straight to the repair shop.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
j84buick
Drifting

Good thread. I think it was during "two guys garage" or whatever it is called. They mentioned this stuff being sensor safe. Got me thinking too. They mentioned it was easy to clean off the inside of the tire too.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:12 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good in case of an emergency for sure. On their web site in the FAQs section it says that it can't be used in Z-rated tires???????

Last edited by moserbe; 06-20-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Sargechris
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moserbe
Good in case of an emergency for sure. On their web site in the FAQs section it says that it can't be used in Z-rated tires???????
Yeah--I had a can in my hand at Wally World, but saw that and put it back... anyone have a good story??
Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

can be used in z rated tires, just won't give you a z rating most likely not even a s rating, emergency only and low speeds for safety, reason most likely says no z tires is liability since these on hi-po, high dollar cars like the vettes.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Sargechris
Pro

Originally Posted by LT1driver
can be used in z rated tires, just won't give you a z rating most likely not even a s rating, emergency only and low speeds for safety, reason most likely says no z tires is liability since these on hi-po, high dollar cars like the vettes.
Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Fix-A-Flat???

Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sargechris
Yeah--I had a can in my hand at Wally World, but saw that and put it back... anyone have a good story??
Well I would imagine it would have to do with unbalancing the tire. I personaly wouldnt put a squishy, free moving fluid inside my tire and then procede to take it up to (whatever a Z rating is) 150 ? but thats just me
Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jistari
Well I would imagine it would have to do with unbalancing the tire. I personaly wouldnt put a squishy, free moving fluid inside my tire and then procede to take it up to (whatever a Z rating is) 150 ? but thats just me
I agree. Why didn't they just put a disclaimer with a max speed of 55 mph or whatever. It also indicates not for high performance motorcycle tires.
Z rating is in excess of 186 mph.

Last edited by moserbe; 06-21-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Sargechris
Pro

Originally Posted by moserbe
I agree. Why didn't they just put a disclaimer with a max speed of 55 mph or whatever. It also indicates not for high performance motorcycle tires.
Z rating is in excess of 186 mph.
I'd be the guy in the slow lane with flashers on if I used the stuff...

Quick Reply: Fix-A-Flat???