Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
VCUFAN
CF Senior Member

Default Radiator Drain Plug

This isn't another question about where it is but how to get it out if you've stripped the 1/4" drive part. I turned it 90 degrees and couldn't get it to budget, so I returned it to the closed position. I tried it again later and then the 1/4" driver started spinning in the hole. Seriously, could they have made a more horribly designed drain plug out of the softest plastic. I think I like the older version that you can actually grab onto to turn. Guess I'll have to invest in a tab and die set to get this plug turned again.
VCUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

did you pull it out? should be able to yank it out with a pair of needle nose pliers...it isn't threaded it kinda just pops in there
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

With needle nose pliars you should be able to pull it out. Most parts stores have a replacement that has the thumb hold. Here's what I replaced mine with when the 1/4" drive end would no longer work:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50012+2012030
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
VCUFAN
CF Senior Member

Problem is that it's stripped out in the closed position. When I went to turn it back to the open position the 1/4" driver just started rotating in the hole. I've tried grabbing it with some needle nose but it's hard to turn it with those. I'm definitely going to replace it with the other style.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Location: "If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution! Period!" And remember, the border is secure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL03 View Post
I've tried grabbing it with some needle nose but it's hard to turn it with those.
Maybe because you shouldn't be trying to continue to "turn" it with the needle nose after it's in the "open" position.

The needle nose pliers are for grasping it and pulling it straight out. It is NOT threaded.
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
madmatt9471
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----1/4 10.34 @ 135 MPH (New ET Eventually!)

Might be best to pull the radiator take it to the shop and have them repair it or upgrade it for you.

Then you have the oppurtunity to change out the fluid then

Thanks,Matt
madmatt9471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
VCUFAN
CF Senior Member

I wasn't using the needle nose pliers to continue trying to turn it. I was trying to turn it with the needle nose to get it into the open position because it's stripped out the second time I tried to open it with the 1/4" driver. I understand that it only turns 90 degrees. I purchased one of those screw extractor tools and will see if I can get it out with that. I've got a new drain plug that is the old style. Not sure why they went away from that design. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by VCUFAN; 07-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

I hate crap like this...a huge pain in the *** for a little thing Good luck
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Location: "If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution! Period!" And remember, the border is secure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
I hate crap like this...a huge pain in the *** for a little thing Good luck

From what I have seen, the type of problem most commonly expressed by people is due to treating the drain plug as if it were a conventional "old style" threaded fastener or plug. Many people tend to overthink this or use waay too much force.These drains are actually very effective and elegant in the simplicity of their design. Insert a 1/4" drive nutdriver handle or a 1/4" drive extension bar and turn gently (key) to the left for 1/4 turn and STOP. If it doesn't want to come out or only partially comes out, grabbing it with pair of needle nose pliers will pull it straight out. No drama.

It's just a different design and many people break/damage/destroy these things simply from lack of knowledge in most cases.
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Pro Street
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post

From what I have seen, the type of problem most commonly expressed by people is due to treating the drain plug as if it were a conventional "old style" threaded fastener or plug. Many people tend to overthink this or use waay too much force.These drains are actually very effective and elegant in the simplicity of their design. Insert a 1/4" drive nutdriver handle or a 1/4" drive extension bar and turn gently (key) to the left for 1/4 turn and STOP. If it doesn't want to come out or only partially comes out, grabbing it with pair of needle nose pliers will pull it straight out. No drama.

It's just a different design and many people break/damage/destroy these things simply from lack of knowledge in most cases.
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Mr.Bill
We Miss You Frank...
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL03 View Post
I wasn't using the needle nose pliers to continue trying to turn it. I was trying to turn it with the needle nose to get it into the open position because it's stripped out the second time I tried to open it with the 1/4" driver. I understand that it only turns 90 degrees. I purchased one of those screw extractor tools and will see if I can get it out with that. I've got a new drain plug that is the old style. Not sure why they went away from that design. Thanks for the advice guys.
What did you just say here?
Are you even reading what is posted?
It is in by just an o ring and will just pull out, Very simple and pick a new one up at Napa for like 6.69. Very simple. Just grab it and wiggle it out.
New drain plug, the old style? There are no threads to thread a new one in, Please read what others have posted.

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 07-11-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
VCUFAN
CF Senior Member

I was just needing some advice for a stripped out 1/4" socket hole. I got it out and realized there is also an allen hole deeper inside the 1/4" driver hole. I couldn't get it into the open position to be able to wiggle it out with the pliers. The old style is the one that NAPA, advance auto, etc sell and the new style is the PITA one that requires a 1/4" driver to open up.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by VCUFAN; 07-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Radiator Drain Plug

Tags
1998, 2001, 2003, 2006, 69, 90, c3, c5, c6, coolant, corvette, drain, plug, radetor, radiator, tool