Sponsored by:

Creaking noise in rear suspension upon takeoff from a dead stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 PM
wascapsfan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creaking noise in rear suspension upon takeoff from a dead stop

I just replaced the front and rear shocks. Went from the base C5 to C6 Z51 heavy duty shocks. I installed everything and torqued the top nut down until tight and then torqued a little more so I have nothing loose. I noticed this before but it seems a little more pronounced now. I only hear it when I take off from a dead stop and maybe a little when I go over a big bump. No clunking like a loose shock or anything like that. Just an annoying creaking noise like an old squeaking door being opened and closed. This is a 99 C5 Vert.

Any suggestions??

Last edited by wascapsfan; 08-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
charmark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I had the same problem. I turned out to be a crack where the upper rear control arm attaches to the frame on the right side. I had it welded and no more noise. You need to pick the car up and take off the wheel to see it good. Check it out this maybe your problem also.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

rubber shock bushings or stabilizer bar rubber bushings sometimes need lube - just a guess
Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
mike96ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you have the half shaft spline noise. Creaking or clicking noise when taking off from a stop. Had it on my C6 with 54k miles. Fixed it this weekend. Remove axle nut (33 or 34mm). Shoot some penetrating oil in between the shaft and the hub. Let sit for a while. I waited 30 minutes on the pass side and 1 hour on the drivers side. Used a rubber mallet to break the half shaft lose so it slid into the diff. Drivers side was really a pain to get freed up. Get behind the hub and lubricated the shaft really well as you are moving it back and forth into the diff. and in and out of the hub. It only moves about 1/2 inch. Be careful not to let the lube get onto or soaked into the rotors. Did this from both sides of the hub. Re-assembled with NEW axle nuts. Nuts are a tighten once only thread design. Worked like a charm. Hoping this method lasts longer than a month. Read some other posts that it comes back. I did use Royal Purples penetrating/synthetic lube spray. If it comes back I will have to take it all apart and thoroughly clean it and lube it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM
wascapsfan
Pro

Originally Posted by mike96ss
Sounds like you have the half shaft spline noise. Creaking or clicking noise when taking off from a stop. Had it on my C6 with 54k miles. Fixed it this weekend. Remove axle nut (33 or 34mm). Shoot some penetrating oil in between the shaft and the hub. Let sit for a while. I waited 30 minutes on the pass side and 1 hour on the drivers side. Used a rubber mallet to break the half shaft lose so it slid into the diff. Drivers side was really a pain to get freed up. Get behind the hub and lubricated the shaft really well as you are moving it back and forth into the diff. and in and out of the hub. It only moves about 1/2 inch. Be careful not to let the lube get onto or soaked into the rotors. Did this from both sides of the hub. Re-assembled with NEW axle nuts. Nuts are a tighten once only thread design. Worked like a charm. Hoping this method lasts longer than a month. Read some other posts that it comes back. I did use Royal Purples penetrating/synthetic lube spray. If it comes back I will have to take it all apart and thoroughly clean it and lube it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info...There is definately no clicking or clunking of any kind. More like the opening and closing quickly of a squeaky door
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
wascapsfan
Pro

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
rubber shock bushings or stabilizer bar rubber bushings sometimes need lube - just a guess
I just installed the shocks so this would be a great place to start but I hate to remove them again because that job was a bit**. Compressing the shock was a beast. I tightened the shock nut (where it comes through the flange pretty tight (before actually putting it through the flange). All the bushings looked excellent. I'm confused!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
wascapsfan
Pro

Now this is good....but today I went out and drove the car and I heard NOTHING creaking etc..... Maybe the new shocks needed a day to set.
Anyway....Next up is the sway bar!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a good post with pictures and procedures to correct the rear spindle clunking. Doesn't cost much to do this except time and materials (cleaner and cycle chain lube) (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-bearings.html)
(Some folks say you need to install a new spindle nut, but the FSM does not say this. The nut is made with interference and trust me it isn't moving once torqued.)

Look at jbauch357's posts on page 2.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking noise in rear suspension upon takeoff from a dead stop

Quick Reply: Creaking noise in rear suspension upon takeoff from a dead stop