Sponsored by:

Vararam quality is bad--

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Wow, so rather than spend $6000.00 on a supercharger and adding 150 horsepower, I can just buy a Vararam!
Don't forget that Z06Electron is starting with a Z. His friend has a coupe. I am not surprised at his results at all.

I had my Vararam installed locally and did not have to experience those issues myself. The first time I drove it a smile immediately came to my face. The SOTP feel was very obvious. As said before "best performance bang for the buck hands down". On a side note, fuel economy improved slightly due to the better breathing.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN
Don't forget that Z06Electron is starting with a Z. His friend has a coupe. I am not surprised at his results at all.

I had my Vararam installed locally and did not have to experience those issues myself. The first time I drove it a smile immediately came to my face. The SOTP feel was very obvious. As said before "best performance bang for the buck hands down". On a side note, fuel economy improved slightly due to the better breathing.
First, the post I quoted was from SCM_Crash not Z06Electron. Stock Z06 has 405 HP at the flywheel for a 60 HP advantage over a '97 LS1. Add a Procharger to the LS1 and get a 150 HP increase. So, apparently, according to you and SCM_Crash, a Vararam is worth an additional 90 HP. About right?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

First, the post I quoted was from SCM_Crash not Z06Electron. Stock Z06 has 405 HP at the flywheel for a 60 HP advantage over a '97 LS1. Add a Procharger to the LS1 and get a 150 HP increase. So, apparently, according to you and SCM_Crash, a Vararam is worth an additional 90 HP. About right?
My apologies to SCM_Crash.
Can't argue your math, but there are a lot of other things going on here. Extra hp isn't the only performance difference that a Z offers. There's weight, gearing and tires as well. He also mentioned a short throw shifter and that there were 2 people in the other car. The weight difference alone would be greater than 5%. I'm still not surprised.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know for a fact that the Vararam works as advertised.I can outrun almost all ZO6's at the track but that is mostly driver error on their part.(spinning tires).If you can run with a supercharged car,then he definately needs a different tuner!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

The Vararam KoolAid is strong in this thread.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
I have to comment here because I have been modifying cars going on ten years now. Ranging from Firebirds to trucks and the Vararam for the money is the best CAI out there. It has way more going on than a stupid plastic air cover. The other units have a higher "quality" because they are generally one piece and suck air from an already established location under the shroud. The Vararam has to completely reroute the entire track. If you don't like the rivets get a z06 screen or paint them black. These posts are silly comparing apples to oranges. I have installed two now and 100% of the install sealing comes down to intstaller. There are also three different generations. Steve is hands down the best vendor I have EVER worked with. What is it you people want for 250? I have almost $5000 in mods to my Z06 and the vararam is by far the best/affordable mod. I really wonder what it is you think 250 buys.

OK RANT OVER.
Cool out dude. Nobody questioned the performance of the vararam. Just don't like the cheepness of the unit. To me $250 is alot of money. To much to pay for something that cheeply made. And if you don't care about how something looks or how well it's made, i guess you would throw a cheep stick on hood scoop rather than getting a well built one that looks good too. After all as you say if it works why pay for quality.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that the Vararam isn't the prettiest thing to look at before installation, but here are the questions I asked myself after putting it in...

1) Can anyone really see it once it's installed? No, not really.
2) Performance-wise, did it do what I wanted it to do? Hell yeah!

My 02 A4 2.73 geared C5 ran a 13.19 in stock form and went down to a 12.80 after just adding a Vararam. I dropped .39 seconds and added 3.5mph to the trap speed.

I just added LT headers, plus a gear (3.42) and converter (3200) and am sure the Vararam will help me out even more now.

I know I don't have to defend the units performance, but sometimes I feel TOO MUCH emphasis is placed on the cosmetic look of it.

The only negative I can see is that you are going to have to spend the cash and get screens for the (non Z06) car. I went with Racemesh. Worth the money!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby777
Noticed after i had installed afew of the rivets on each side on the air tubes hanging down abit--I had to lift up and down to make everything fit and I gess they came loose--I dont think they will go any where but that is BS--Cant get to them with the z06 screens--really the quality is true ****--
After reading posts for 5 years about their poor quality, at least they are consistent. In fact, I want to lend them the sales jingle I created for a company I no longer sell for:

"You may find better quality, but you will never pay more!"
Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being that most people seem to think this is not a great product is there something that you guys would use other than this?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Originally Posted by KeyoRacing
being that most people seem to think this is not a great product is there something that you guys would use other than this?
Halltech
K&N
Callaway

-Alex
Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I had one on my C5 years ago and I must admit, it is a pretty cheesy piece, made with extremely thin guage plastic and a less than optimal fit....
Old 08-20-2010, 05:57 PM
coanan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Quality control sucks, my fix for that

Very thin, flimsy, and uneven surface for the filter to seal on.

Notice no modding, holes line right up. LOL

Card-board template

Transferring to PVC

Test fitting

From PVC to a harder plastic I put in the oven to soften-up and laid it in the upper shell to take shape

final shape

The final piece with holes drilled and finishing up the ports.

With the tubes installed in the car the plate is sealed with RTV and screwed in, then I drilled and
used small rivits around the plate to hold it in shape

Stronger surface and no chance of the tubes breaking at the point where the cheap wedge piece is bolted

Even the foam was cut wrong and the holes for the screws are in the wrong place. I didn't do a very good job of trimming it.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tslick98
Cool out dude. Nobody questioned the performance of the vararam. Just don't like the cheepness of the unit. To me $250 is alot of money. To much to pay for something that cheeply made. And if you don't care about how something looks or how well it's made, i guess you would throw a cheep stick on hood scoop rather than getting a well built one that looks good too. After all as you say if it works why pay for quality.
What I'm saying is the unit is not cheaply made in relation to its "value". Go price a stock airbox from the dealer. It will run over $1000. IF you want OEM fit and finish you will pay for it. And even if Vararam made a high " quality" $1000 unit then everyone would be screaming Corvette tax. They hit the magic target for fit and finish, cost, and most importantly performance.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem as the OP. I contacted the forum vendor that I purchased it from and they told me they didnt warranty anyting....long story stort... they basically told me to stick it and to contact the manuf. Contacted the manuf and they sent me a new one. Quality control sucked and the forum vendor sucked....I do like the way it works... but would not wate my money again on either vendor or manuf. Good luck
Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I didn't buy a Honker because I wanted to show how much money I had to waste. I researched intakes for a while before I made the choice based on value, quality, performance, ease of installation and servicing, and appearance. You get what you pay for, including the SOTP feeling you are supposed to get from a Vararam. As far as the price is concerned, many people seem to not realize one thing. After you've bought most other intakes, you will probably want to also buy a new air bridge. Factor that addition into your intake purchase price and you'll be about the same as buying a Honker. The design of the Honker eliminates the need for an additional purchase. For those not familiar with it, the Honker also relocates the MAF closer to the throttle body, which GM followed by doing that on the C6.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Gained a little bit less than a tenth with it over the zip tie in the 1/8 and 1mph. I didn't care to read through all the garbage after I saw a few post. I wouldn't expect much more than 1-1.5mph in the 1/4 if you are lucky. I paid 250 for mine.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Wow, so rather than spend $6000.00 on a supercharger and adding 150 horsepower, I can just buy a Vararam!
Originally Posted by rebelheart
If you can run with a supercharged car,then he definately needs a different tuner!

This reminds me of the 4.10 gear vs H/C packages. People saying they could do just gears and stay with a h/c car. I said when I did gears I went from 12.98 to 12.66. When I went to h/c I went from 12.66 to 11.50. Big difference between tenths and seconds....

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam quality is bad--

Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 AM
bullmarket
POSSE SENIOR RIDER
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I put mine in not too long ago. Although a tight fit, have no problems with the quality. I am pleased with the product.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Seat of the pants or proven increase numbers aside no one ever shows concern over the sub par job of filtering the air that feeds their engine.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the math before your sarcasm makes you look stupid.

My 3070Lbs 2003 Z06 with Vararam vs. 3350Lbs Coupe.
The Coupe making 440RW and (like I'd said) had a passenger.
My Z06 makes 368RW (dynoed) and I didn't have a passenger.
The coupe's passenger and driver together were 350Lbs.
I weight 150Lbs.

Now to do the math:
My car: 368RWHP @ 3230Lbs = 8.77Lbs/hp
His car: 440RWHP @ 3700Lbs = 8.41Lbs/hp

Now the Vararam can't be seen on the dyno, but they say it adds 30HP. I could believe that.

My car: 398RWHP @ 3230Lbs = 8.11Lbs/hp

Now does it make sense? If not, I'll get the video from the passenger and post it up.

Originally Posted by rebelheart
I know for a fact that the Vararam works as advertised.I can outrun almost all ZO6's at the track but that is mostly driver error on their part.(spinning tires).If you can run with a supercharged car,then he definately needs a different tuner!
At the time he was running the old A&A setup. Basically the first kit they came out with. After upgrading the bracket (which happened after our race) he went from ~7PSI of boost to 9PSI. Although, the belt was slipping a lot before the bracket change.

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
This reminds me of the 4.10 gear vs H/C packages. People saying they could do just gears and stay with a h/c car. I said when I did gears I went from 12.98 to 12.66. When I went to h/c I went from 12.66 to 11.50. Big difference between tenths and seconds....

Read the above. I never said the Vararam could replace the S/C. I simply stated that all things being equal, I got a lot of bang for the buck. I was explaining what a real gain I got from the Vararam compared to other mods for the same money that you don't notice much difference from.

If both of our cars were at race weights (no passengers and 1/2 tank of gas), I'm sure he would have definitely beat me by a good margin.

Quick Reply: Vararam quality is bad--