Sponsored by:

Need help! Can't remove key from ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need help! Can't remove key from ignition

Just purchased a 2000 FRC. When I picked it up, the owner told me they had replaced the battery on one of the FOBS but couldn't get it to work. This morning I decided to see if I could reprogram the non-working FOB. It took several tries but finally got both FOBS reprogramed. However, after getting the FOBS programed I can't remove the key from the ignition. The key can be used to start the car just can't remove it from the ignition. I've tried to set the E-Brake, apply the brakes, outtiung the transmission in 1st and reverse but still can't get the key out. I believe it has something to do with my programing efforts since it worked perfectly before. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I can't see any way programing the fobs would have any effect on the key. Try turning your wheel a bit.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Me either, tried turning the wheel back and forth and it moves freely. Going back out to try to figure it out. Thanks for reply.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas2125
Just purchased a 2000 FRC. When I picked it up, the owner told me they had replaced the battery on one of the FOBS but couldn't get it to work. This morning I decided to see if I could reprogram the non-working FOB. It took several tries but finally got both FOBS reprogramed. However, after getting the FOBS programed I can't remove the key from the ignition. The key can be used to start the car just can't remove it from the ignition. I've tried to set the E-Brake, apply the brakes, outtiung the transmission in 1st and reverse but still can't get the key out. I believe it has something to do with my programing efforts since it worked perfectly before. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Leave the key on...you may be VERY glad you did.

Check for codes first...do you have any?

If so, post back...if you do have a code LEAVE THE KEY IN THE ON POSITION. If you car is an automatic and the reason that your key is not turning is because the key pellet is really dirty, broken or the lock cylinder is broken...you will save yourself an hour or so if you are able to get the key into the on position.

You can just disconnect the battery so you don't drain it.

All you programmed was the fob...it has nothing to do with the ignition or letting the car start. This is all VATS territory and if your key is stuck...that's not good once you cant get it to turn anymore...usually one isn't far behind the other.

Mine wouldn't turn for a bit...then wouldn't go into the ignition...then went in but was stuck and wouldn't turn
Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
Leave the key on...you may be VERY glad you did.

Check for codes first...do you have any?

If so, post back...if you do have a code LEAVE THE KEY IN THE ON POSITION. If you car is an automatic and the reason that your key is not turning is because the key pellet is really dirty, broken or the lock cylinder is broken...you will save yourself an hour or so if you are able to get the key into the on position.

You can just disconnect the battery so you don't drain it.

All you programmed was the fob...it has nothing to do with the ignition or letting the car start. This is all VATS territory and if your key is stuck...that's not good once you cant get it to turn anymore...usually one isn't far behind the other.

Mine wouldn't turn for a bit...then wouldn't go into the ignition...then went in but was stuck and wouldn't turn
I have never seen a FRC with an auto, He said the car starts just fine, Just can't remove the key.
Take the car for a short drive and then try to remove the key.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I have never seen a FRC with an auto, He said the car starts just fine, Just can't remove the key.
Take the car for a short drive and then try to remove the key.
why do you think his key is stuck?

Even it it's a stick..it's still easier to get the shift lock cable out of the back if needed as long as you can still get the key into the on position
Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
why do you think his key is stuck?

Even it it's a stick..it's still easier to get the shift lock cable out of the back if needed as long as you can still get the key into the on position
If the car starts he can get it in the on position don't you think?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:51 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
If the car starts he can get it in the on position don't you think?
duh, but if it gets stuck in the on position...who's to say it won't get stuck in the off position?

At least if you have it "on"...you can get the lock cylinder out and take it to a lock smith
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Problem solved. Apparently there was some dirt or grim on the lock mechanism that caused the key to hang up. After applying some pressure (up, down and side to side I was able to remove the key. I put a little lubricant on the key and ran it in and out a few times to make sure the lock mechanism operates smoothly. Thanks for all of your responses, this forum and the people on it are the greatest.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I heard of this one. A little dirt/grime caused the key to get stuck.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by renegad44
First I heard of this one. A little dirt/grime caused the key to get stuck.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Problem solved. Apparently there was some dirt or grim on the lock mechanism that caused the key to hang up. After applying some pressure (up, down and side to side I was able to remove the key. I put a little lubricant on the key and ran it in and out a few times to make sure the lock mechanism operates smoothly. Thanks for all of your responses, this forum and the people on it are the greatest.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help! Can't remove key from ignition

Quick Reply: Need help! Can't remove key from ignition