Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag cover melting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM
STING-RAE
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And just to add to my excitement at this steering wheel fix...

I would post pics, but they would look just like the ones above from BLUICIDE. I went the Mr. Clean MAGIC ERASER "Durable" pad route, came in a pack of four. Was just right. If you wipe on the Goof Off HD (found mine yesterday at Lowe's in the paint prep isle) it starts to work. Then it just takes repeated slight pressure rubbing and you can literally watch it rubbing that nasty paint coat away!! Another detail step further...

...then I used an old toothbrush and got the grooves in the C5 logo, the words "AIR BAG" and 2 horn shapes. I also noticed (because I didn't mask it off that tightly) that it took a little off the shroud that goes behind the steering wheel. So I went ahead and cleaned the shape that makes the top of the shroud and let my cleaning wipes fade when it starts to turn down over the two edges on either side. With the surface lighting changes, you can't even notice the difference. And that wasn't sticky anyway. (or you could clean the whole shroud – it's easier than the bag.)

ps - I couldn't keep from getting the Goof Off HD on my wheel leather, and I would wipe it as I went along. However, it makes no difference and doesn't affect the leather. I hit it with my BMW leather cleaner anyway for good measure.

AND IT'S LIKE BRAND NEW! I don't know why GM thought they had to paint the air bag cover anyway?!

And if you're like me, I like to rub my hands all over that airbag cover and steering wheel...it's like feeling up part of a woman. But maybe that's just me! I just love to caress my car wherever I can!

Last edited by STING-RAE; 07-24-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: found typos..added info.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM
STING-RAE
Navigator

Originally Posted by popshumphrey
Wow! Bought a 98 6 m months ago with a sticky horn cover! Great info, but help me here.... Goof Off Hd or Goof Off 2? I am ready to get er done as well. Should make a sticky on gooey horn.
Hi popshumphrey -

I just got an email stating you posted a reply asking what I used. I don't see it here in the thread, so I just wanted to answer you...

scroll up a little on page 11 and there is a pic of the bottle you need. Then you can read my expanded post on page 12. BLUICIDE is THE MAN for discovering this minor but major "repair"!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by STING-RAE
Hi popshumphrey -

I just got an email stating you posted a reply asking what I used. I don't see it here in the thread, so I just wanted to answer you...

scroll up a little on page 11 and there is a pic of the bottle you need. Then you can read my expanded post on page 12. BLUICIDE is THE MAN for discovering this minor but major "repair"!
Just to help you a little when referring to previous posts. In a thread, not every member on the forum has a display of 20 posts per page. So, instead of referring to a particular page number, look at the actual post number in the upper right corner of the post containing the pic you're talking about. Post No. 204 in this case.

(I display 100 posts per page, so that pic of Goof Off is on page 3.)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by STING-RAE
Hi popshumphrey -

Yes, I deleted the post because I read your expanded post after I posted it! Sometimes I skim and don't read as I should. I found Goof Off but it is not the HD. I did get some of the magic erasers as well and when it gets below 100 degrees here, I will test it out. Thanks for the reply....
Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same sticky/gummy feeling problem when using Zaino, Lexol, & Mothers.

To fix the sticky gummy problem, my wife scrubbed the steering wheel airbag cover with Lysol Multi-purpose cleaner and then applied 303 Aerospace protectant which I decided to try. I have never had the problem come up again. I live in FL and I use my car daily in the stinking scorching sun & when it's not in the sun, it's in a 90 degree garage.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go the Goo Off / Goo Gone (same thing?) route, does it leave your AB cover matte black and your steering wheel (where your hands go) gloss? In other words, is the disparity between the two finishes too drastic once finished?
The following users liked this post:
STING-RAE (07-27-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by craig_vette
If you go the Goo Off / Goo Gone (same thing?) route, does it leave your AB cover matte black and your steering wheel (where your hands go) gloss? In other words, is the disparity between the two finishes too drastic once finished?
Be careful here. Goo Gone and Goof Off are not the same products. I spent hours looking for the right stuff and bought some Goof Off Industrial Strength and I AM NOT GOING TO USE IT!!!! Reading the label closely says that it may damage some plastics. It is petroleum based. One suggestion is just to use a water and alcohol mix. However, for me, I am going the magic eraser and simple green route to see if that will work. Good luck
Old 07-27-2016, 07:39 PM
STING-RAE
Navigator

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Just to help you a little when referring to previous posts. In a thread, not every member on the forum has a display of 20 posts per page. So, instead of referring to a particular page number, look at the actual post number in the upper right corner of the post containing the pic you're talking about. Post No. 204 in this case.

(I display 100 posts per page, so that pic of Goof Off is on page 3.)
Well that makes all kindsa sense. Thanks for the IT insight, Vette DD!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:42 PM
STING-RAE
Navigator

Originally Posted by craig_vette
Looks like I "thanked you" - HAHA

When I cleaned mine, it looks like the Vette was designed that way. It looks fantastic. It's a very subtle difference between the leather and the bag cover on mine....or even the rest of the black in the cockpit, for that matter.

And GOOF OFF HD is what i used. It is a different product than Goo Gone.

Last edited by STING-RAE; 07-27-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added a line
Old 07-27-2016, 07:48 PM
STING-RAE
Navigator

Originally Posted by popshumphrey
Be careful here. Goo Gone and Goof Off are not the same products. I spent hours looking for the right stuff and bought some Goof Off Industrial Strength and I AM NOT GOING TO USE IT!!!! Reading the label closely says that it may damage some plastics. It is petroleum based. One suggestion is just to use a water and alcohol mix. However, for me, I am going the magic eraser and simple green route to see if that will work. Good luck
You may be right...I DID see and industrial strength version of the "GOOF OFF" when I bought mine. Mine was specifically "GOOF OFF HD."

And it didn't harm my material or the leather in the slightest bit. I washed it with warm water and a tiny bit of dish soap when I finished just to remove any residue of the GOOF OFF HD, but it was just precautionary. This is the stuff you want...

Last edited by STING-RAE; 07-27-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:11 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Talc powder will stop the sticky feeling. I know it will leave a white residue but it wipes off with water.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:15 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurf28
Talc powder will stop the sticky feeling. I know it will leave a white residue but it wipes off with water.
Wish I'da thought of that. Thx Murf! Still talking about airbags? Lol. Priceless.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
Wish I'da thought of that. Thx Murf! Still talking about airbags? Lol. Priceless.
Bluicide - Yeah we are still talking about it because it is a problem! Tried the alcohol and it did not work. Got some goof off industrial strength and ti worked just fine. Could not find the Goof Off HD, just some other stuff. However for my other car, a 97 I found some biodegradable stuff that is supposed to be safe. When it quits being and issue and all sticky air bag covers are clean, and there are no more micro fiber towels because of the goo, then we will quit talking about it. This thread saved my sticky air bag cover!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 PM
elayhotajohnson
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticky air bag cover.

2000 vette. I used 70% rubbing alcohol with a white terry cloth. I just rubbed a small area until the stickiness was gone. Just keep the cloth wet with the alcohol, turning over as the cloth turns black. 8-23-16. I have not put any vinyl protectant on the cover as of yet.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (08-23-2016)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Well, you can add me to the list. I just picked up the industrial Goof Off from Lowe's this morning. Although I sold my C6 Z06 a few years ago, I am now the caretaker of my mother-in-law's 2001 C5 Coupe, and it developed this problem sometime in the last year. This is another Houston based Vette that has always been garaged. Never a dull moment.

I am glad I found this thread. Like many others, I was already starting to research replacing the air bag.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM
BigFloyd
6th Gear

I did mine today using the Goof-Off Household cleaner (the water based one). Sprayed it on some clean cotton rags then got to wiping.

It didn't take too long gently rubbing and switching over to a clean portion of the rag when needed. A few rags later, I was hardly getting any black residue and the rag was gliding over the surface.

Followed that up with some 303 leather stuff and it's looking/feeling good.

Thanks to whoever came up with the Goof-Off idea. It was well worth a trip to Home Depot to get some.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Nail polish remover will also work.

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag cover melting!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Default Almost 3-yrs

It's been almost 3-yrs and I have not put any protectants on the bag. Doesn't need it. Looks as good as it did the day I finished cleaning it. Just a fyi.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

My 03 Z06 developed the same issue.. not sure how or why. Never use the Armor All or other ‘shiny’ stuff on my cars. I used a micro fiber towel and 90% isopropyl alcohol and it wiped right off clean. And a ton of it came off too! I wiped it down with a Meguir’s leather conditioner wipe afterwards and it looks like brand new again. Dry and clean.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
My 03 Z06 developed the same issue.. not sure how or why. Never use the Armor All or other ‘shiny’ stuff on my cars. I used a micro fiber towel and 90% isopropyl alcohol and it wiped right off clean. And a ton of it came off too! I wiped it down with a Meguir’s leather conditioner wipe afterwards and it looks like brand new again. Dry and clean.
Yeah, I was amazed at the amount of "gunk" that had eventually morphed onto the bag. Ever since, go to go.

Quick Reply: Airbag cover melting!