Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution to the ABS/EBCM Problem May be At Hand.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
horowitz.mikej
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to the ABS/EBCM Problem May be At Hand.

In an earlier post, I described my problem -- one apparently common to many c5 (and perhaps c6) cars: breakdown of the abs systems combined with the fact that few/no ebcm modules are available for purchase. gm's original ebcm maker has gone out of business and gm isn't making them on its own.

A respondent to my posting suggested that I contact kenfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com, which i did. bob at fichtner made every effort to find an ebcm for me, and at first failed. he then pressed the gm people to come up with a solution, which they -- finally -- may have done. they gave him the number of an illinois company, auto electronics systems (?), at 877-870-8148, that reconditions non-working ebcm modules, i called, got a seemingly expert and helpful fellow named ben at x 603, who told me that i was the fifth call he had received on the subject today. he said that he and his company reprogram, recondition -- whatever -- the modules, charge a modest inspection fee if they can't do so, and a quite modest fee if they can, and provide lifetime warranties for their repaired/reconditioned modules. according to ben, the turnaround time for their work is 24-48 hours.

having just bought an 07 coupe, i've not been able to sell my 00 because of its abs/ebcm problem, and am greatly cheered at the possibility that a solution may be at hand. i wish gm had more fully notified its dealers and the corvette repair community of what bob at fichtner has been able to find.

NOTE: i haven't yet sent in my ebcm, & plan to do so today, so i can't warrant for the company's competence -- couldn't do so anyway as i'm the furthest possible thing from a tech expert. but i wanted to post this information asap to alert others who may be in my position to check out my information -- and to let me know if they find any problems with the service.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
horowitz.mikej
Intermediate

besides what i now know to be sia electronics of tilden, il. (877-870-8148 x 603 (ben)), another place to check to get the ebcm module repaired may be zip corvette at 800-962-9632.

Originally Posted by horowitz.mikej
In an earlier post, I described my problem -- one apparently common to many c5 (and perhaps c6) cars: breakdown of the abs systems combined with the fact that few/no ebcm modules are available for purchase. gm's original ebcm maker has gone out of business and gm isn't making them on its own.

A respondent to my posting suggested that I contact kenfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com, which i did. bob at fichtner made every effort to find an ebcm for me, and at first failed. he then pressed the gm people to come up with a solution, which they -- finally -- may have done. they gave him the number of an illinois company, auto electronics systems (?), at 877-870-8148, that reconditions non-working ebcm modules, i called, got a seemingly expert and helpful fellow named ben at x 603, who told me that i was the fifth call he had received on the subject today. he said that he and his company reprogram, recondition -- whatever -- the modules, charge a modest inspection fee if they can't do so, and a quite modest fee if they can, and provide lifetime warranties for their repaired/reconditioned modules. according to ben, the turnaround time for their work is 24-48 hours.

having just bought an 07 coupe, i've not been able to sell my 00 because of its abs/ebcm problem, and am greatly cheered at the possibility that a solution may be at hand. i wish gm had more fully notified its dealers and the corvette repair community of what bob at fichtner has been able to find.

NOTE: i haven't yet sent in my ebcm, & plan to do so today, so i can't warrant for the company's competence -- couldn't do so anyway as i'm the furthest possible thing from a tech expert. but i wanted to post this information asap to alert others who may be in my position to check out my information -- and to let me know if they find any problems with the service.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do a search on this bro..there are a few different people along with a forum member ABSFIXER? Brandon I believe is his name who does this fix
Old 09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
do a search on this bro..there are a few different people along with a forum member ABSFIXER? Brandon I believe is his name who does this fix
He does not deal with the early ones I believe.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
He does not deal with the early ones I believe.
doug,

how far back does he go?

I haven't had this issue yet but I have a 2000...are these fixable if mine gets the dreaded code(s)?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe ABSFIXER services only 01-04 C5 EBCMs.

Fitchner Chevrolet people are very helpful and sell GM parts at great prices.

Last edited by Dave68; 09-09-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Excellent.......good information to have at hand. Thanks
Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes! This is a good thing!

Especially for the 1997-2000 owners like myself - I have bought two different ones (Used) one is still working and the other took a dump -

It's the way they were set in epoxy that makes them almost unrepairable - ABSFIXER does not do our years due to this epoxy set-up!

Please keep us posted as to the repair on your EBCM -

Was yours with Active handling or Non active handling?

Do they have a website to go to?

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 04:11 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

I believe this is their website -
http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
horowitz.mikej
Intermediate

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
I believe this is their website -
http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp

Thanks,Matt
i am so damned embarrassed -- AND FURIOUS -- that i barely know what to say. The guy who took my order for sia turns out to be a salesman in florida who had no idea of what the actual sia illinois module repair people could and could not do. By accident, i was routed to the repair facility in illinois and was told that they do not repair 00 (or any) ebcm's. This saved me the cost and hassle of getting the module pulled off my car and sent to the illinois facility and then having it sent back. As i think of it, the entire operation -- out of the salesman's side anyway -- may be a scam in that i might have been charged the $99 inspection fee for a job that the repair facility people cannot do.

So i'm back to square one; i'm sitting with a car i can't sell because no one is making an effort to build or repair c5 ebcm's. And i now know, from a number of sources, that this is a significant and growing problem for a large number of people.

It seems to me that gm has a responsibility here -- one that it has been entirely indifferent to so far as i can tell.

Any ideas re next steps, or what i can do, would be much appreciated. And i apologize if, in any way, my erroneous report has caused problems for anyone.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Your only option I think is fleabay and/or Vette recycling yards. I occasionally see people stripping C5's on craigslist too.

I think most manufacturers are only liable for parts for 10 years, after that, your shootin' from the hip trying to find stuff.

I did find this:

http://www.autocomputersystems.com/f...model=CORVETTE

maybe they can assist???

Last edited by dougbfresh; 09-09-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Ok, I really hate to recommend these people because they will gouge you but they often have parts you can't find anywhere else. Corvette Shop and Supplies in Tampa, FL. Like I said if they have one, it's going to cost you! Don't tell them I sent you
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by horowitz.mikej
i am so damned embarrassed -- AND FURIOUS -- that i barely know what to say. The guy who took my order for sia turns out to be a salesman in florida who had no idea of what the actual sia illinois module repair people could and could not do. By accident, i was routed to the repair facility in illinois and was told that they do not repair 00 (or any) ebcm's. This saved me the cost and hassle of getting the module pulled off my car and sent to the illinois facility and then having it sent back. As i think of it, the entire operation -- out of the salesman's side anyway -- may be a scam in that i might have been charged the $99 inspection fee for a job that the repair facility people cannot do.

So i'm back to square one; i'm sitting with a car i can't sell because no one is making an effort to build or repair c5 ebcm's. And i now know, from a number of sources, that this is a significant and growing problem for a large number of people.

It seems to me that gm has a responsibility here -- one that it has been entirely indifferent to so far as i can tell.

Any ideas re next steps, or what i can do, would be much appreciated. And i apologize if, in any way, my erroneous report has caused problems for anyone.
That's a bummer!

Part numbers are the only way to go. No matter where you go and who you deal wih make sure you have your OG part number.

There are two different models for our Vettes one with Active Handling and one Without active Handling - make sure ou know which you have -

Grab the part number off the Module that you have and this will make things a lot easier.

You will/do "NOT" have to pay soemone to remove it - call me and I will assist over the phone on how to remove the module, it's very simple then you can send it out yourself, if a company can repair ours and if not you'll save on labor doing it yourself

If you can change a tire you can change the ABS Module

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I have one off a 2000 non active handing in my hand.
It worked when I removed it.
Ive tested it on the car, since I fixed the below problem.

ABS-5/TCS/MSVA
DELPHI D M
MODEL 09356961
SERIAL #00960326

It that is what you need, make me an offer.

I had a problem with my ABS and the replacement part I got did not change the problem.
I fixed the problem when some one here suggested I check the crush washers on my SS brake lines that I had installed a few months prior to the problem occurring.
The washers were made of aluminum, and had tarnished. I replaced all four crush washers with brass/copper crush washers and have not seen the probelm in over 3 years. I guess the theory is the corroded washers didn't allow proper grounding for the SS lines.

Last edited by Phanni; 09-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for at least attempting to find a source for the early C5 owners. Too bad it didn't work out.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW (for the guys who have a place to send their EBCM) you can use the car without it while its being fixed. Just cover the open side of the brake valve with plastic or duct tape, and wire tie the electrical plug so it doesnt flop around.

Only thing you wont have is ABS, brakes still work fine, wont hurt anything, just no anti lock brakes.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jistari
BTW (for the guys who have a place to send their EBCM) you can use the car without it while its being fixed. Just cover the open side of the brake valve with plastic or duct tape, and wire tie the electrical plug so it doesnt flop around.

Only thing you wont have is ABS, brakes still work fine, wont hurt anything, just no anti lock brakes.
That is correct - "BUT" in addition to that you also will loose:

(1) Traction Control Feature

(2) Active Handling (If equipped)

But the brakes will work fine - no harm no fould

Thanks,Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Solution to the ABS/EBCM Problem May be At Hand.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
sesand
Advanced

autoecu.com rep says they will repair mine for $495 (its not on their website). Anyone tried them?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM
76texvette
Racer

These guys might be worth a try for a replacement.
http://www.contemporarycorvette.com/
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Karl kastl
1st Gear

Default Is there any chance you still have abs mod 09356961

Originally Posted by Phanni
I have one off a 2000 non active handing in my hand.
It worked when I removed it.
Ive tested it on the car, since I fixed the below problem.

ABS-5/TCS/MSVA
DELPHI D M
MODEL 09356961
SERIAL #00960326

It that is what you need, make me an offer.

I had a problem with my ABS and the replacement part I got did not change the problem.
I fixed the problem when some one here suggested I check the crush washers on my SS brake lines that I had installed a few months prior to the problem occurring.
The washers were made of aluminum, and had tarnished. I replaced all four crush washers with brass/copper crush washers and have not seen the probelm in over 3 years. I guess the theory is the corroded washers didn't allow proper grounding for the SS lines.
is there there anyway that you still have ABS module

Quick Reply: Solution to the ABS/EBCM Problem May be At Hand.