Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clear coat to use after curb rash fix?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM
CSwanson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What clear coat to use after curb rash fix?

Hello- What clear coat is best to use after I fix the curb rash on my Z16 polished wheels? Just the touchup bottle with the small brush kind?
thanks
Craig
Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

if it is truly a polished wheel, you should be able to skip the clear...reason is it will look worse if you try to add a clear layer to a small area....better to simply buff out the raw aluminum from time to time. The visible edge will be way less obvious this way, and there is no risk that the surrounding gloss or spray pattern is different from the rest of the wheel.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had one small place on my Z16 wheels that the previous owner scraped. The aluminum had slightly oxidized. I sanded with 1000 grit, polished it with WENOL, then applied a light application of clear nail polish. That was four years ago. No further application has been required. I'd dare say no one has ever noticed it.

Nail polish can be removed and re-applied easily. It's brush on, so it's easy to apply to build up to the area around it. No over spray or masking is involved.

A small touch up bottle of automotive clear coat paint (DUPLICOLOR) should work just as well. Clean the area with alcohol, sand/polish if necessary and apply.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
if it is truly a polished wheel, you should be able to skip the clear...reason is it will look worse if you try to add a clear layer to a small area....better to simply buff out the raw aluminum from time to time. The visible edge will be way less obvious this way, and there is no risk that the surrounding gloss or spray pattern is different from the rest of the wheel.
i disagree. i have some wheels with a polished alum lip that got some rash on my beater, and they looked much better after repairing with clear coat. i just used a rattle can and taped it off. it will also look better if you wet sand with some 2000 grit and polish after. the brake dust sticks to the bare aluminum so much easier than the clear coat, that after just a few days, the bare spot sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this is where people get messed up, because they are afraid of painting. There should not be any difference between the repair and the surrounding area because after it dries you are going to wet sand the entire repair and over spray areas with 2000 and then 2500 grit sand paper.

The wet sanding is what is going to blend everything in together. From what I have read 2 part clear coat spray is the most durable and is approx $20. You can try some 1 part clear and worst case scenario repaint in a year or two. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To What clear coat to use after curb rash fix?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What clear coat to use after curb rash fix?