Sponsored by:

Window tint removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
GKrenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint removal

The window tint in my 2002 was starting to peel at the corners of the windows so I decided it was time to get rid of it. When I peeled it off it left a layer of tint on the window that is extremely hard to get off even with a single edge razor and straight amonia. Is there a trick to removing this film?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:26 PM
TEECEE
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

funny, i was considering taking my off. hope we get some good advice
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
TSev1
Instructor

try using a hair dryer to heat it up, then use a razor blade. Also, if you have a clothes steamer, it works well too.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Blew by you
Racer

Loosen the edges with a new razor and try and peal off as much as you can then, scrape with a fresh razor with a soap and water mix, when you get near the bottom of the window tuck the bottom molding down so you can get all the glue from the bottom of the window. Be carefull it's easy to slip with a soapy razor, and you might want to have a towel at the bottom of the window you will have a lot of water running down the window onto the door.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Split open a large garbage bag, lay it under the window and soak it with Windex type spray. Put the garbage bag to the window so it sticks. Let it sit for a bit and repeat, then it should peel off.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did this last weekend on my side windows,so I know it works:
NOTE:you're going to want to keep the open flames to a minimum during this operation...

With a single edge razor blade,get one corner of the tint loose so you can grab it,then just slowly pull the tint film off the glass.
A lot of the tint adhesive is going to come off with the tint,but there'll still be plenty left on the glass-not to worry...
Get a can of Lacquer thinner,soak a rag with it(not so soaked that it drips down the inside door panel,and keep it OFF your paint) and start wiping the adhesive off(you're going to have to rub a little on the first pass)-keep enough thinner on the rag that it doesn't try to "stick" to the glass,but don't slop it all over the place,either.
You'll soon have goo smeared all over the glass,so you do the same thing again,with a second,clean,lacquer thinner soaked rag.(the thinner won't hurt the rubber "scraper" on the inside at the bottom of the glass)
Now there's still goo,but not so much.
Do it again,and you should pretty much have it all off.
Now go over the glass one more time with a clean rag DAMPENED with Lacquer thinner.
The glass should be nice and clean now,but you're still going to want to clean it with your favorite glass cleaner,and then you're done-takes about ten minutes per side.

If you do happen to drip some on the door panel,a shot of Meguiars Leather Conditioner,or 303 Protectant (great stuff!) will put it back the way it was.

Last edited by Carcass; 10-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:18 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by GKrenn
The window tint in my 2002 was starting to peel at the corners of the windows so I decided it was time to get rid of it. When I peeled it off it left a layer of tint on the window that is extremely hard to get off even with a single edge razor and straight amonia. Is there a trick to removing this film?
Whemn I had mine done, one window still had the old tint on it. The girl who works at the glass shop used a 50/50 mix of water and amonia and she kept the tint in one sheet, she looened one corner and kept sparying a shot of the amonia water mix on e the tint and she had the whole window tint off in 15 minutes.

DO NOT use Laquer thinner on anything or anything on your car. It will cause any plastic or rubber to become a gooey mess, if you have leather intereior it will ruin the door cards, and if you get any on the paint it will remove it as well. When The girl stripped my window tint, she took a 4X5 sheet of heavy brown paper (Just like an old supermarket brown paper bag cut open, and slipped it down between the glass and the rubber window seal to protect the door cards or panels.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Living in South Florida, there is alot of window tinting. The pro's use a heat gun, a razor scraper and "Goo Gone".
Old 10-10-2010, 03:07 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

That garbage bag trick WORKS
Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 AM
maroman88
Pro

i used window tint removal spray for a parts store, i did it wen it was about 30 degrees out and it kept freezing up on my window... however it worked lol
Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
vette 84
Cruising

wall mart and parts store sells tint remover its less time and less work.good luck
Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ammonia worked for any residue on my side windows.

very easy to remove side tint.

let a pro do the rear window.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Rclynch82
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
That garbage bag trick WORKS
works perfect. spray with amonia mixture first. put bags on inside. let sun hit it for awhile. tint falls right off.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM
T5Mika
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jet-jock
split open a large garbage bag, lay it under the window and soak it with windex type spray. Put the garbage bag to the window so it sticks. Let it sit for a bit and repeat, then it should peel off.
this!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Split open a large garbage bag, lay it under the window and soak it with Windex type spray. Put the garbage bag to the window so it sticks. Let it sit for a bit and repeat, then it should peel off.
Verrry effective on a hot summer day. I've seen it done. All the glue and crap comes right off. For the sides, razor blade and a little time+cursing.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Rclynch82
Instructor

Originally Posted by J Z06
Verrry effective on a hot summer day. I've seen it done. All the glue and crap comes right off. For the sides, razor blade and a little time+cursing.
I used the garbage bags on the side too. Neighbors laughed at the sight of black trash bags hanging out all ends of the door. But tint fell right off.

Get notified of new replies

To Window tint removal

Quick Reply: Window tint removal