Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which handheld tuner?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:11 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which handheld tuner?

i'am in need of a handheld tuner for a dyno tune and my debate is a sct vs a diablo..some people tell me sct has the latest info for a vette and some others tell me diablo is better..honest opinion which one should i go for? all i see is people with diablos on the forum..i even contacted a vette tunning shop and they recommend me sct..what you guys think? sct is pricey vs diablo but i'am willing to pay the price to get the best one for my c5

thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by KillerC5
i'am in need of a handheld tuner for a dyno tune and my debate is a sct vs a diablo..some people tell me sct has the latest info for a vette and some others tell me diablo is better..honest opinion which one should i go for? all i see is people with diablos on the forum..i even contacted a vette tunning shop and they recommend me sct..what you guys think? sct is pricey vs diablo but i'am willing to pay the price to get the best one for my c5

thanks
Who's giving you a "Dyno tune" requesting a handheld tuner? why not find somebody that can tune LS motors? Make sure they're using HP tuners or EFI Live.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:29 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

anyone?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
Who's giving you a "Dyno tune" requesting a handheld tuner? why not find somebody that can tune LS motors? Make sure they're using HP tuners or EFI Live.
He is telling you if you are getting a Dyno tune you don't want a handheld. You want a more sophisticated tuning package like EFI Live or HP tuners. These tuning packages allow for charting and analyzing your engine to optimize the performance.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killer,
I've got a Diablosport Predator for my C5. I had a SCT with a custom tune for my Mustang. They both let you do about the same stuff. The big difference is going to be the tune itself. The SCT for the Mustang was sold by an outfit called Brenspeed and it came with their custom tunes loaded. When I bought the Predator, it was through Maryland Speed and it just came with the generic predator tunes. If I had it to do over again I'd probably pull my pcm and send it out to ECS, which is probably what I'll end up doing later on. Your call.

Last edited by Marine One; 10-17-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
KillerC5
Instructor

anyones elses inputs?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
Killer,
I've got a Diablosport Predator for my C5. I had a SCT with a custom tune for my Mustang. They both let you do about the same stuff. The big difference is going to be the tune itself. The SCT for the Mustang was sold by an outfit called Brenspeed and it came with their custom tunes loaded. When I bought the Predator, it was through Maryland Speed and it just came with the generic predator tunes. If I had it to do over again I'd probably pull my pcm and send it out to ECS, which is probably what I'll end up doing later on. Your call.
Thank you for the refferal!

OP, here is a link to our present mail order tuning thread in C5 scan and tune with 25,000 views and 100's of happy customers reviews, we would love to add you to that list.

Thanks, Doug

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...nly-149-a.html

Old 10-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Ken@SCT
1st Gear

Killer,

Whichever device you go with, the important thing to understand when running a custom is that your tune will only be as good as the person building your tune. When running a custom tune, the device is nothing more than a transport vessel to load the tune into the vehicle. There is a benefit to having a handheld tuner over just programming the PCM directly, in that if you take your vehicle in for service work, you'll want to return the vehicle to stock, so that if the dealership decides to update your PCM you won't lose your tune. Albeit, this is a more common issue in the Ford world rather than GM.

Of course, I'd love for you to buy an SCT device, but a better idea would be to find a competent tuner/shop in your area and use whichever device/software they are most comfortable with.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 PM
z06 vett
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya what ken said,
i use the diablosport just because i have been using them for four years and i have the cmr software for for d and gm.this does not make me an expert.the fact is i went this way because there are NO TUNERS IN THESE PARTS.even Kens boss(Chris) has a shop in luisdale miss.the quoted me 1100.00 bucks to tune it.this is be for they went GM on there tuners.they did all ford.i just am finishing up a 347 forged build and doubling the boost w/meth.none in Mobile can tune this car.
the diablo to me is the best.try and find one with a early ver. software so you have more tune control,o2 sensor delete.
send me a pm it believe i have one you might can use.
mike

Get notified of new replies

To which handheld tuner?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which handheld tuner?