Sponsored by:

Belt squeak cure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Belt squeak cure.

So ive been dealing with an embarrassing squeak from my belt for a while now. I read on here Gatorbacks dont, but i really didnt want to special order a new belt since i just had it changed a few months ago because it was shredded. The other day I found out that spraying water to isolate if it's a pulley or belt issue worked. The water made it quiet for a few seconds, but came right back to squeaking. So, I decided to get some belt conditioner that I read on Google is safe to use on belts and try it for a more permanent fix.

No luck. It worked for a couple minutes and squeak came back.

With this failure, I became desperate. The next day I wanted to try the WD40 sitting in the cabinet, but was hesitant as I though it might be a bad idea. I Googled WD40, belt, and came across a post by someone saying to use Ajax. I thought to myself, no way this is going to work and I might as well order a Gatorback.

Hmm.. Next time at wallyworld, I went to see if they carried the stuff, but no. Next closest thing was Comet. Picked some up and sprinkled some on the belt while it was running and voilà! Gone!

It's been 2 days and the magic dust is still working it's magic. Amazing! Can't believe this worked.

Cliff notes:

Squeaky belt?
Googled
Comet

Fixed.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hopefully it wont come back but I think it might

If it does see if this helps:

You can probably reduce or even fix belt squeals with lubrication or belt dressing but it will probably return quickly. A belt change is the easy fix but you need to make sure that’s the issue.

ET who was one of the C5 design engineers posted a great summary of the system and I’ve copied it below. Run through that procedure to identify where the problem lies. If it’s a belt that’s good news and is fairly straight forward once you work out the technique.

Let the engine cool down first or it gets painful. Identify the main belt tensioner from the picture. It’s the top pulley on passenger side. Place a socket wrench on the tensioner nut and push it toward the middle of the engine until there is enough slack to remove the belt. Repeat this procedure for the A/C belt, although the tensioner is a little harder to reach because it is under the power steering fluid reservoir.

Once you have them off its worth cleaning the pulley with a wire brush.

Putting them back is the reverse process but make sure you install the A/C belt before the main belt.

Here’s a pic to identify the components.

Belt Squeal Courtesy E-T

You have two belt systems on your car. One is the drive belt system, the other is the air conditioner belt system. The drive belt system consists of the serpentine belt, the power steering pump, alternator/gen, water pump, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, belt auto-tensioner pulley. The AC belt system consists of the compressor, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, belt auto-tensioner pulley.

First thing you need to do is isolate which system is squeaking. This can be done by releasing tension on the drive belt tensioner and removing the serpentine belt. This is the outboard belt of the two belt systems. If the squeak goes away, then it’s the belt or a component of the drive system.

If the squeak is still there, then it’s a component of the ac belt system.
To verify this, release the belt tension from the tensioner and remove the belt. If the squeak goes away, then it’s a component of the ac belt system.

A common problem is the belt tensioner on either system but verifying which system is at fault is the proper procedure.

You could replace both belts, but you may still have the squeak. If you want to find the culprit, isolate the system, then spray the belt of the offending system and see if the squeak goes away. Try to stay away from the idler and tensioner while spraying. I find that belt dressing may be good to identify a belt problem, but it is a temporary fix at best.

The real problem has been the tensioner and the idler. Both of these components have a sealed bearing which has been know to dry up or redirect the grease away from the bearing, thus causing the squeak.

If you find that a belt change does not correct the problem, then a change of both the idler and tensioner pulley is in order. If you just change the idler or the tensioner alone, it will cause the other component to go bad in a month or so. This has been the case with many members. There was a change made to the dusts seals to help correct this problem in newer C5's. Lots of tensioner and idler pulleys have been identified as a problem and it can affect either system. One is not more prevalent than the other. So find out which system is squeaking first, in the drive belt system. It could also be the bearing of the alternator, power steering pump, or water pump too, but these are less probable.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Hopefully it wont come back but I think it might

If it does see if this helps:

You can probably reduce or even fix belt squeals with lubrication or belt dressing but it will probably return quickly. A belt change is the easy fix but you need to make sure that’s the issue.

ET who was one of the C5 design engineers posted a great summary of the system and I’ve copied it below. Run through that procedure to identify where the problem lies. If it’s a belt that’s good news and is fairly straight forward once you work out the technique.

Let the engine cool down first or it gets painful. Identify the main belt tensioner from the picture. It’s the top pulley on passenger side. Place a socket wrench on the tensioner nut and push it toward the middle of the engine until there is enough slack to remove the belt. Repeat this procedure for the A/C belt, although the tensioner is a little harder to reach because it is under the power steering fluid reservoir.

Once you have them off its worth cleaning the pulley with a wire brush.

Putting them back is the reverse process but make sure you install the A/C belt before the main belt.

Here’s a pic to identify the components.

Belt Squeal Courtesy E-T

You have two belt systems on your car. One is the drive belt system, the other is the air conditioner belt system. The drive belt system consists of the serpentine belt, the power steering pump, alternator/gen, water pump, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, belt auto-tensioner pulley. The AC belt system consists of the compressor, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, belt auto-tensioner pulley.

First thing you need to do is isolate which system is squeaking. This can be done by releasing tension on the drive belt tensioner and removing the serpentine belt. This is the outboard belt of the two belt systems. If the squeak goes away, then it’s the belt or a component of the drive system.

If the squeak is still there, then it’s a component of the ac belt system.
To verify this, release the belt tension from the tensioner and remove the belt. If the squeak goes away, then it’s a component of the ac belt system.

A common problem is the belt tensioner on either system but verifying which system is at fault is the proper procedure.

You could replace both belts, but you may still have the squeak. If you want to find the culprit, isolate the system, then spray the belt of the offending system and see if the squeak goes away. Try to stay away from the idler and tensioner while spraying. I find that belt dressing may be good to identify a belt problem, but it is a temporary fix at best.

The real problem has been the tensioner and the idler. Both of these components have a sealed bearing which has been know to dry up or redirect the grease away from the bearing, thus causing the squeak.

If you find that a belt change does not correct the problem, then a change of both the idler and tensioner pulley is in order. If you just change the idler or the tensioner alone, it will cause the other component to go bad in a month or so. This has been the case with many members. There was a change made to the dusts seals to help correct this problem in newer C5's. Lots of tensioner and idler pulleys have been identified as a problem and it can affect either system. One is not more prevalent than the other. So find out which system is squeaking first, in the drive belt system. It could also be the bearing of the alternator, power steering pump, or water pump too, but these are less probable.
Thanks for the info. Here's hoping I never need it though. I'll use up this $1 bottle of Comet before I have to turn a wrench.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
billy3jack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with that quick fix.
i had a belt squeak on my 99 I would put crap on it and it would stop for a day or two then come back my problem was the harmonic balancer pulley
I replaced it and no more problems
Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, if you just replaced the belts and they're squeaking again already, you have a different problem. Especially if the previous belt shredded. Could be a bearing going in a pulley or accessory, the balancer going, or the tensioner going. Hard to say. I'd just remove the belts, and spin everything by hand and see what feels/sounds bad. And look at the balancer and see if it's wobbling. Check the tensioner and make sure it's not worn out or broken too.

Dope
Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully it is just your belt and that commet works as a cure. Very cool that you found that out!

However, I agree with the above post, your harmonic balancer could be going. Very common problem on these cars.

Last edited by ChromeC5; 10-26-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM
5ltrEATER
Racer

Interesting... How exactly did you apply the comet?

Sprinkle it over the belt dry? That's some good "magic dust!"

~ 5ltrEATER
Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5ltrEATER
Interesting... How exactly did you apply the comet?

Sprinkle it over the belt dry? That's some good "magic dust!"

~ 5ltrEATER
Yup. Just poured some on the inside of ac belt while it was running until the squeaking stopped.

We'll see how long it lasts. Hopefully I won't be back to share some bad news for a while.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Might want to get a can of Belt Dressing. It's a spray that cleans/conditions and unlike WD40, it won't cause slippage.
Look at auto parts stores or industrial supply Co.'s.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
MR.Z06
Racer

WD-40 0n your belt LMAO yeah that's a really good idea.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
brendan.9
Racer

Originally Posted by SoSlo
WD-40 0n your belt LMAO yeah that's a really good idea.
actually it is I've used it on my car and it stops it for a bit. do it on m dads dodge and it stops it too
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Astrojet
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a '55 Ford that had a squeaky AC belt on it. I tried everything and eventually the squeak returned. Finally, I sprayed some WD-40 on it and it never squeaked again. It's important to get both sides of the belt. A light spray is all you need-don't soak it in the stuff.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:17 PM
mirvin1
1st Gear

Default 00 vette AC belt squeak

186,000 miles on this beauty....all highway miles! I bought it at 25,000 and put the rest on it. I love this car and I get a lot of comments. Still looks new!

annoying AC belt squeak went away with a quick squirt of silicone spray from Home Depot.....hit the belt with a quick 1 sec squirt on top of the compressor.....squeak went a way.

Tried to get the gator belt from Autozone, they don't carry it anymore. Local Goodyear store is not a resaler so they could only get it and install it for $75 labor plus the belt cost. Local GM dealer quoted me $88 for the belt.

Was going to replace the belt myself easy job right! Radiator?metal tubes insalled directly infront of tensioner so I can't get a socket on the tensioner, GM used a 19/32 head so now I'm hunting for a 19/32 open end wrench to slip over it or I will have to move the radiator lines....

For now, I'm just happy the squeak went away with a $1.50 can of silicone.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I just developed a squeak myself. Always something. Does it ever end?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 PM
LouWags
Pro

Comet and other such cleaners are abrasive so that concerns me a great deal.

I have new squeak too. Maybe some Liquid Wrench silicon spray will solve that problem.

--Wag--
Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Yes, I did have a mechanic/friend that showed me the water trick on the belt. The noise only goes away for the brief time you are pouring the water. This is typically a sign that the belt needs replaced.

When you changed the belt, did you thoroughly clean all the pulleys. As time goes by, the belts leave a residue on the edges of the pulleys that will contribute to the squeak. So just installing a new belt is only solving half the issue. It's possible that the abrasives in the comet cleaned these edges for you. Hence a possible fix.

As someone else previously mentioned, I'm a little concerned that your old belt shredded. Not sure how old it was. If it wasn't very old, this would point to possible problems with the pulleys.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If i was a betting man, which I am, my guess is you better take a close look at the harmonic balancer for any "wobble". Im thinkin thats the likely culprit but i hope not.

Keep us posted!

Get notified of new replies

To Belt squeak cure.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
skeeters65
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tag for squeaky bel on my car
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mirvin1
Tried to get the gator belt from Autozone, they don't carry it anymore. Local Goodyear store is not a resaler so they could only get it and install it for $75 labor plus the belt cost. Local GM dealer quoted me $88 for the belt.
Try RockAuto.com easy to get a GY Razorback belt there
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I scuffed mine up with a scotch bright pad top and bottom while it is was running. Been quiet for months. Usually belt dressings make it worse

Quick Reply: Belt squeak cure.