Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise from the rear when hitting a bump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM
TexCzechVette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Grinding noise from the rear when hitting a bump?

Looking for some of your insights - recently driving on the freeway when a chunk of highway (about 6" X 6" X 8") was before me before I could get around it - hit the bottom of the front driver's side fender and cracked a little and went over it with rear driver wheel - bent the wheel! Put on a new wheel, but now when I hit even a small bump on the road they will be a clunk in the driver's rear - and sometimes it is a grinding noise - but very quick. I have been underneath the car a dozen times looking for marks, loose bolts, scrape marks, etc - nothing. Could this be the half shaft damaged from hitting the chunk? Anyway to check or verify - I have even looked at the axles while the car was on blocks and the engine on and in drive. Looking for advice before I go into the dealer. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

It sounds like something similar to what I had-

it turned out to be the emergency brake shoe on the rear rotor! If it is loose or one of the spring/rods are out of position it will cause the sound when a bump is hit!

You will need to get a replacement shoe for the e-brake (best to do both sides) and install it

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
TexCzechVette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
It sounds like something similar to what I had-

it turned out to be the emergency brake shoe on the rear rotor! If it is loose or one of the spring/rods are out of position it will cause the sound when a bump is hit!

You will need to get a replacement shoe for the e-brake (best to do both sides) and install it

Thanks,Matt
Wow Matt, exactly! Just adjusted the suspect e-brake and all better. Will get some new shoes and replace just to be on the safe side. If you are ever in Austin, beer and bbq are on me! Thanks. Dave
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM
robertlthomson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexCzechVette
Looking for some of your insights - recently driving on the freeway when a chunk of highway (about 6" X 6" X 8") was before me before I could get around it - hit the bottom of the front driver's side fender and cracked a little and went over it with rear driver wheel - bent the wheel! Put on a new wheel, but now when I hit even a small bump on the road they will be a clunk in the driver's rear - and sometimes it is a grinding noise - but very quick. I have been underneath the car a dozen times looking for marks, loose bolts, scrape marks, etc - nothing. Could this be the half shaft damaged from hitting the chunk? Anyway to check or verify - I have even looked at the axles while the car was on blocks and the engine on and in drive. Looking for advice before I go into the dealer. Thanks.
I could have written this post. Sounds like what I am dealing with also. Additionally, all of a sudden I have no parking brake. Pull up handle and nothing. Will check out the set up!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by TexCzechVette
Wow Matt, exactly! Just adjusted the suspect e-brake and all better. Will get some new shoes and replace just to be on the safe side. If you are ever in Austin, beer and bbq are on me! Thanks. Dave
Cool! I am glad I was able to help

Thanks,Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding noise from the rear when hitting a bump?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise from the rear when hitting a bump?