Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Cold Air Intake

Does anyone have any knowledge about BCP's cold air intake or have you purchased on and find yourself satisfied or un-satisfied../
Thanks

I found it on the auction site..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-0...item20b55cd194
Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There are better options. The dual cone set up is not a true cold air setup in that it still takes air from inside the engine compartment. The Callaway Honker and the Vararam are better options since they are true cold air intakes. The Callaway is a very high quality product and looks excellent. The vararam is inexpensive and not the best looking thing on the planet but they work well.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:10 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just get a Blackwing and be done with it! You can find them used worth the money right here on this forum. Buy it, clean it and install it.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly I am not looking for more power....you seldom gain that much...even with the cold air set up and aftermarket exhaust...I just LIKE the look of the air cleaner setup
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Get a VARARAM. Takes air from outside of the car. Better throttle response and the punch at WOT when at HIGHWAY speeds is unmatched by a CAI.

True RAM AIR.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM
red oneee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vararam works
Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by mph1972
Get a VARARAM. Takes air from outside of the car. Better throttle response and the punch at WOT when at HIGHWAY speeds is unmatched by a CAI.

True RAM AIR.

I love mine...
Old 11-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by REZ1
Honestly I am not looking for more power....you seldom gain that much...even with the cold air set up and aftermarket exhaust...I just LIKE the look of the air cleaner setup
If you do not care about performance and only the way it looks, buy the one on Ebay.

I have the Breathless Performance C.A.I. it is a true cold air very pleased with it. Good match for the long tube hedders, x pipe and Corsa Exhaust.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Just get a Blackwing and be done with it! You can find them used worth the money right here on this forum. Buy it, clean it and install it.
It's what I've run on my last two C5s and it works well. I will admit it doesn't have as much power potential as the Vararam, but it is very easy to install and looks good under the hood.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Those dual cone intakes are garbage, IMHO. The big problem with them is their merge design. They cause a lot of turbulence. And regardless of how large the "T" pipe size is, you're not going to get twice that amount of air into the merge bar, so it makes the air slow down as it's being sucked in (like a traffic jam). While they are still better than stock, you're better off with the zip-tie mod over those dual cone intakes.

Originally Posted by red oneee
vararam works
Originally Posted by Bimmervet
If you do not care about performance and only the way it looks, buy the one on Ebay.

I have the Breathless Performance C.A.I. it is a true cold air very pleased with it. Good match for the long tube hedders, x pipe and Corsa Exhaust.
I've had these both and they're both great products. In my opinion, they're yin and yang to each other though. One has a better build quality, while the other works far better.

The BPP is called the "Vortex Rammer" which is pretty good, but it's a total pain in the butt to clean the filter. If you get the see-through cover, that's a pain in the butt to clean as well. However, it certainly made a big difference over stock. Although, I had to clean it once every month because bugs would start to accumulate on the inside of the cover.

The Vararam is a great intake too. Some will tell you the fit-n-finish on it sucks. I won't argue with that. But I will argue that it's likely the best intake for a C5. Others have said they don't think it actually works, but every Vararam owner will tell you otherwise. I won't claim any HP gains, but I can tell you that I could burn out on the freeway with a stock car on T1Rs at 50MPH after installing the Vararam.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Those dual cone intakes are garbage, IMHO. The big problem with them is their merge design. They cause a lot of turbulence. And regardless of how large the "T" pipe size is, you're not going to get twice that amount of air into the merge bar, so it makes the air slow down as it's being sucked in (like a traffic jam). While they are still better than stock, you're better off with the zip-tie mod over those dual cone intakes.
any good true CAI will be an improvement over stock.

many guys have also taken the V-ram off do the turbulence and used duct tape over the fog light screens for better aerodynamics.

1/4 miles guys wont see much if any difference with the screens duct taped or closed off, but any road racing or road track days, there is a big difference.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Check my sig for HP gains with just an intake and cat-back.

If you believe 13 RWHP is not that much for the money spent, try pricing out other performance-enhancing mods!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Check my sig for HP gains with just an intake and cat-back.

If you believe 13 RWHP is not that much for the money spent, try pricing out other performance-enhancing mods!
I believe adding a tune might gain even a bit more. I did not do a "before-after" test on the same car, but when I was test-driving C5's, the one I eventually bought seemed noticeably quicker than stock or catback-only C5's I tested. The prior owner had paid a shop to install a Corsa Pace Car catback and Callaway Honker intake, plus a tune.

Now with those mods pricing out at roughly $0 (to me), that's REAL bang-for-the-buck!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I believe the Vararam is the best performing CAI you can buy, but it often will make your computer throw a lean code from time to time, if you don't get your car retuned. It's really just a nuisance, and you can reset the CEL, but some guys think the light means they blew up their motor.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by zeevette
I believe the Vararam is the best performing CAI you can buy, but it often will make your computer throw a lean code from time to time, if you don't get your car retuned. It's really just a nuisance, and you can reset the CEL, but some guys think the light means they blew up their motor.
The standard MAF with the screen should prevent the codes. A descreened MAF with the HALLTECH HONEYCOMB will help. I did this to my ZO6 and did the relearn process and had NO issues at all.

I do agree, the VR is the best one of the bunch!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent C5
I believe adding a tune might gain even a bit more. I did not do a "before-after" test on the same car, but when I was test-driving C5's, the one I eventually bought seemed noticeably quicker than stock or catback-only C5's I tested. The prior owner had paid a shop to install a Corsa Pace Car catback and Callaway Honker intake, plus a tune.

Now with those mods pricing out at roughly $0 (to me), that's REAL bang-for-the-buck!!!
I know what you mean; my RWTQ was actually higher than that of a stock 2002 Z06. I never had my car tuned so I guess the Halltech intake + Borlas + luck of the draw = extra high torque.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of us are very tired of this question,,,,but being a newbie myself on this question a few years ago,,,,CAI is CAI! The VRB2 is the best true CAI on the market for the C5 without any other mods required. For those who have never had one on their C5,,,,they don't make the CF friendly smiley for me to select and insert here.

I personally know of a half a dozen C5's that picked up .2 to .3 seconds in the 1/4 with NO OTHER CHANGES!

At speeds above 50 mph,,,,the VRB2 sells itself. Some look or fit better, but none out perform this simple, yet effective air intake.

OP, If you don't care about performance increases, buy any of the more expensive or cheaper options that you like the look of. As they say, it is your car, and we are all cool with that!

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Air Intake

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mph1972
The standard MAF with the screen should prevent the codes. A descreened MAF with the HALLTECH HONEYCOMB will help. I did this to my ZO6 and did the relearn process and had NO issues at all.

I do agree, the VR is the best one of the bunch!!!

You have to remember to remove the Halltech honeycomb if you install a Supercharger. I sucked mine into the MAF on the dyno, because of the added pressure. It ended up looking like a Pringle, but I got lucky that it didn't damage the sensor.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 AM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have your answer.

I didn't like the factory airbox and mess so I installed a Blackwing. I just wanted something clean looking and maybe flowed a lil better.

Not a big fan of the dual cone chrome intakes, but if you like it's look then you should get it.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Argent C5

I agree. If you simply focus on "Breath In/Breath Out" and add a tune, you will achieve an nice HP bump. I have the Corsa Indy exhaust and X-pipe and I'm planning to install a Callaway Honker over the winter. Great OEM fit/finish that is designed to pull air in from underneath the car as it is originally designed.

I helped a friend install the Vararam unit and although I understand in concept what it accomplishes, the install was a real PITA and I was not impressed with the fit/finish of the system. Some, as mentioned, love it so to each his own.

To the OP on the dual cone intake, IMO their redeeming quality is show looks. I know you're not looking for performance, however I would still look around as the finish on some of the cheaper systems are pretty bad. I was at a show a few weeks ago and saw a really nice chrome twin cone system that looked great with the other engine dress up components the owner had and then I saw a twin cone system that had a poor SS finish, ugly center weld, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-10-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake