Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used this Carbon Fiber Wrap??

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You don't have to have a heat gun, but at least a hair dryer that gets really hot. If you can hold your fingers in front of the hair dryer for a long time and it's not pretty uncomfortable, it's not hot enough.

At SEMA 3M introduced their new glossy version. Most importantly, they showed me how it is thinner than the DiNoc stuff. I think it was 3mm vs 8mm. I may be off on the measurements, but their point was it was thinner and easier to work with.

I've used this on a few smaller parts and stuff for car show display. It's difficult to work with around corners. I talked to installers doing a demo at SEMA and they said you just need patience around the corners and any ridges. They said the thinner stuff was easier to work with around the corners. And by corners, I don't mean sharp edges, but more contoured curves/corners like on the C5.

chris
Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Hod Curtis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda new at this. Where did you get the pdoduct from Z06NATE ?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by powerjunky
Nate Im as eager as you!,come spring I have a project that will be very "unique"
Do tell sir!!

Originally Posted by Omaha02Z06
I’ve seen some local cars with this product on interior trim pieces and it really looked good. Online pic’s really don’t do it justice.
Thats good to hear!! Im snowed in at the U of A right now, but as soon as i can get my vette out (yes, the Z is buried under 2 feet of snow) Ill drive to my parents to pick up the sample I ordered. Really getting excited about it.

Originally Posted by chrisj
You don't have to have a heat gun, but at least a hair dryer that gets really hot. If you can hold your fingers in front of the hair dryer for a long time and it's not pretty uncomfortable, it's not hot enough.

At SEMA 3M introduced their new glossy version. Most importantly, they showed me how it is thinner than the DiNoc stuff. I think it was 3mm vs 8mm. I may be off on the measurements, but their point was it was thinner and easier to work with.

I've used this on a few smaller parts and stuff for car show display. It's difficult to work with around corners. I talked to installers doing a demo at SEMA and they said you just need patience around the corners and any ridges. They said the thinner stuff was easier to work with around the corners. And by corners, I don't mean sharp edges, but more contoured curves/corners like on the C5.

chris
Thanks Chris. I was at SEMA in 08 and this stuff was starting to come out then. But I have a question. When you say the thickness of 3 and 8mm... is that .3 and .8? Cuz 8mms is almost a cm, thats stinking thick lol
Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hod Curtis
Kinda new at this. Where did you get the pdoduct from Z06NATE ?
You can get it from a lot of different locations. The place Im using is http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM
coolarrow
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Your Radio bezel looks really good, I think I am going to do this, but it does not look easy. Do you have a total what it cost you to do the interior? Also anyone know how this stuff will hold up in the engine compartment with the heat. Thought about doing the washer tank, overflow tank, top of radiator,ect...
"Yeah, about a hundred dollars." - Rain Man

See my write-ups on this at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...nterior-5.html

and

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...er-wrap-3.html

Last edited by coolarrow; 02-09-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Driving home tomorrow to get the Carbon Fiber sample piece, Ill let everyone know what I think.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Nate
Do tell sir!!
Well....Okay

Ever since watching the Aussi V8 Supercars I noticed that their dashes were Carbon fiber, and glossy at that!!

Well Im slowly putting my cars theme together, and back then I want to just paint my double din gloss black,but changed my mind and said hey Ill just carbon wrap it.

So when I saw that Aussi race I decided to do it to my dash

When the weather permits(no garage ) I will layer the dash with fiberglass, Delete the pass. airbag, get rid of the pass. "handle" and that wrap it in CF and attempt to use autozone spray can clear and sand it nice and pertty

I may throw in some gloss black though, we'll see

Last edited by TriplBlk; 02-10-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Cause I spell like a kid
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by powerjunky
Well....Okay

Ever since watching the Aussi V8 Supercars I noticed that their dashes were Carbon fiber, and glossy at that!!

Well Im slowly putting my cars theme together, and back then I want to just paint my double din gloss black,but changed my mind and said hey Ill just carbon wrap it.

So when I saw that Aussi race I decided to do it to my dash

When the weather permits(no garage ) I will layer the dash with fiberglass, Delete the pass. airbag, get rid of the pass. "handle" and that wrap it in CF and attempt to use autozone spray can clear and sand it nice and pertty

I may throw in some gloss black though, we'll see
Now that's a project. You going to do the entire dash including the double-din?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

You may want to rethink that idea about doing away with the passenger’s side air bag. First off they are a federal mandate, second off if you’re in an accident and the passenger suffers any type injury you will be in big trouble with your insurance company and finally you will never be able to sell it or at least trade it in. with the air bag gone.

Now if you are making this an all out track car that is a different story.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gr8Wht
Now that's a project. You going to do the entire dash including the double-din?
Yes that than the gauge clutsers bezel and the INSIDE of the cluster gloss black, Ill take a pic the next nice day and try to simulate the other idea which I paint it gloss black.

Originally Posted by TR6speed
You may want to rethink that idea about doing away with the passenger’s side air bag. First off they are a federal mandate, second off if you’re in an accident and the passenger suffers any type injury you will be in big trouble with your insurance company and finally you will never be able to sell it or at least trade it in. with the air bag gone.

Now if you are making this an all out track car that is a different story.
I dont ever wanna sell this car BUT I do understand what you mean but I HATE that little square hole for it, I wish It was all one piece like my Cts( way smoother)

If I did the fiberglass I couldnt keep it or the passenger would eat Carbon Fiber haha, This car will see the track though and Im putting a Sparco steering wheel in anyway.

I do appreciate your concern and information though TR6speed
Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

SCHAWEET!!! Looking forward to it!!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Im big on posting pics and vids of what I do, especially when I get this Harrop ITB I just bought lol theres like no vids of it on a vette lol
Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 AM
cvalvarez77
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking about wrapping my roof in the vinyl too! I was looking at 3M Di-Noc but it has the "dry" carbon look and its rated for interior use. I found a different vinyl called Metro M500 3D Carbon with a 6-9 year exterior life and with a semi gloss finish. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTiFx...eature=related.

I ordered some samples to see what they really look like so I'll let you guys know.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

You could always have that "dry" carbon cleared...would look like the real deal Im sure
Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Thanks Cvalvarez, keep us posted!! Hopefully the sample will be there when i get home today, snow has backed up a lot of deliveries.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Z06 Nate
Thanks Chris. I was at SEMA in 08 and this stuff was starting to come out then. But I have a question. When you say the thickness of 3 and 8mm... is that .3 and .8? Cuz 8mms is almost a cm, thats stinking thick lol
Doh! Yes, that's what I meant.

chris
Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

haha, thanks man. Ok, got the sample this weekend, and I LIKE!!! Ill be outside today measuring the sq ft that Ill need, then either today or tomorrow, Ill make a call!

On a side note, I do like the dry look, but I guess Ill have to see when it is all on whether Ill clear it or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone used this Carbon Fiber Wrap??