Sponsored by:

Stereo issues, fixing previous owners trash

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
srooper1980
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo issues, fixing previous owners trash

Ok, so I am tearing the car apart mainly to install my nitrous system and while the car was down for that I sent the A/C controls out to have all the lights fixed.. While in the dash I thought I would take a look at the stereo as it sounds like garbage, I assumed it was an aftermarket deck with factory speakers.. WRONG.. Here is what I am dealing with.. Its a Blaupunkt Key Largo DM2000 which says 200 watts on the faceplate.. I then removed the door panels to find one 4x6 on each side.. NO adaptor plate either.. the speaker are held in place by 3 screws into the fiberglass as the fourth hole has nothing behind it so no screw.. Its the most jacklegged thing I have ever seen and with all that area around the speaker being completely open space its no wonder it sounds horrible.. I then checked the back and at least the right size speakers are back there.. They are all Kenwood speakers, the rears are about 5" round I'm guessing, and the front are certainly 4x6's.. They do have a tweeter in the center of the speaker and area a light blue color.. The only thing I gathered from the back of the speaker is that they say 100 watts RMS and 4 ohm.. They are all being powered by the deck with no amp.. With my budget already killed on the performace end of things the wife has no interest in spending any more money on this project but I see no reason to put the car back together without fixing it first.. I plan to by some MDF and make the adaptor plates myself I need guidance as far as what type of amp to select for this set up?? Is 100 watts RMS the peak output? or do they really need 100 watts each?? Keep in mind this is NOT in the budget so I gotta keep the amp CHEAP until I can get everything else fixed, then maybe over the winter I can replace the amp with something better.. Or maybe the speakers too if you guys suggest that but they seem to be nice speakers that have been setup very badly.. I can also tell you they USED to be powered by an AMP as all the amp wiring was left in the car with the leads simply cut off at the amps location.. they left the power, ground, speaker wires, RCA and all and literally cut the ends off all of them when taking it out. If i see this guy again I really want to kick him in the nuts

Last edited by srooper1980; 06-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, I would replace those speakers. 4x6's are garbage, they will distort with any decent power input. The rears take 6-1/2 and depending on the adapter you use for the fronts, you can get up to an 8" but I would recommend a set of 6-1/2 components with seperate tweeters. As far as the amp, a 4 channel with 100w per channel will be more than enough.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM
srooper1980
Instructor

The rears may actually be 6.5 as they look to fit perfectly.. I didnt measure or remove them.. I will look into the 6.5 components for the fronts and see if I can find a way to "hide" that $ from the wife lol..

Now out of curiousity I still have no idea what is the difference between a "component" or a speaker.. I am a drag racing guy and stereo stuff was never of interest to me.. But this sounds so bad I have to do something about it.. I would bet if the Bose was still in place it would be more than enough for me but I cant live with turning it half way up and not being able to understand what the words of the song are because the speakers are so distorted

Last edited by srooper1980; 06-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by srooper1980
..... and see if I can find a way to "hide" that $ from the wife lol..
If that's your wife in your avatar then I would not want to **** her off either.

Toque
Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
srooper1980
Instructor

Thats her Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM
srooper1980
Instructor

So looking around I guess I have another question.. Why replace the door speakers with 6.5's when a 8" can fit?? I do not plan to add a subwoofer to my setup so would purchasing a 8" door speaker work to add a little extra bass?? Seems like most guys are doing the 6.5's because of the better sound quality and not getting much bass because they have a seperate sub for that.. Just trying to weigh my options
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM
srooper1980
Instructor

Ok, I know most of you guys are big into the stereo but just curious, I found a set of Bose door speakers on eBay for 65 bucks.. The factory plug is still in the door so I know I could plug them back in but with the aftermarket deck I dont know if they will get the proper signal.. I have read I need to purchase something to make it work but what it is I still dont know how much or where.. I am going to search it but figured since I already had the thread going I would ask anyway
Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
kris6868
Burning Brakes

If you need the factory c5 Bose speakers ill sell you all 4 speakers for $50. An i have entire OEM audio so what piece you need to make it work ill throw that in too...
If you are looking to go that route for time being..

With that amp being cut like that maybe it got stolen. But your prob right if some of it is half-azz im sure all of it is...
Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

If srooper does not want your OEM Bose amp, I could use it as a spare-
Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Funnone
Racer

[QUOTE=srooper1980;1581125579] I will look into the 6.5 components for the fronts and see if I can find a way to "hide" that $ from the wife lol..

That's what i call "She Money" Money she don't know about......
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

lol.. you guys are great.. I actually just sent a member a PM. He is selling his front bose speakers and the factory deck.. Thats a great deal on the speakers kris6868 just wondering if you have the factory deck you could sell as well?? Reason I ask is because I have no idea how to make your speakers work with the aftermarket deck I have....

The "She money" is pretty easy for me as I hand over my salary checks to her but I get one commission check per month and she has NO way of knowing how much it is.. So when she gets 200-700 less (depends how good of a month it was) she doesnt know the difference ;-)

Last edited by srooper1980; 06-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by raydawg357
First off, I would replace those speakers. 4x6's are garbage, they will distort with any decent power input. The rears take 6-1/2 and depending on the adapter you use for the fronts, you can get up to an 8" but I would recommend a set of 6-1/2 components with seperate tweeters. As far as the amp, a 4 channel with 100w per channel will be more than enough.
rear are 6.5 in a coupe
vert and Z are 5.25
Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Ok, I know most of you guys are big into the stereo but just curious, I found a set of Bose door speakers on eBay for 65 bucks.. The factory plug is still in the door so I know I could plug them back in but with the aftermarket deck I dont know if they will get the proper signal.. I have read I need to purchase something to make it work but what it is I still dont know how much or where.. I am going to search it but figured since I already had the thread going I would ask anyway
You need the roem-vet1 harness to add the Bose door speakers to an aftermarket deck
http://shop.doubledmods.com/searchqu...ords=roem-vet1
Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

So looking around I guess I have another question.. Why replace the door speakers with 6.5's when a 8" can fit?? I do not plan to add a subwoofer to my setup so would purchasing a 8" door speaker work to add a little extra bass?? Seems like most guys are doing the 6.5's because of the better sound quality and not getting much bass because they have a seperate sub for that.. Just trying to weigh my options
its pointless to add an 8" sub been there tried it and a waste of money
the money you would spend would be better off on a nice set of 6.5" components
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

kris6868 seems to have come up with the best solution.. I will take the 4x6's and toss them.. I just purchased the adaptor plates for the doors from Double D and I will put the Kenwood 6.5's that are currently in the rear up into the doors.. Last question I have, the kenwood speakers say they are rated at 100 rms and the deck says 200watts.. Im guessing that is 50x4.. If I run all 4 left speaker wires (front + and - and back + and -) to the door speaker and same on the right side is that in essence "bridging" the deck to send 100 watts to each speaker?? In other words hook up both left +'s to the + on the speaker and both -'s on the -.. doing that for both sides.. Good idea, bad idea?? Only problem I could see that creating is both signals (front and rear) may not reach the speaker at the same exact time creating an echo type of sound.. Seems that could be fixed by simply adjusting the front to back bias.. but I am newb lol
Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

Since I cant manage to find the right words I spent two minutes making this.. dont make fun of me either Maybe this will illustrate what I am thinking about doing
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
PawnPro
Instructor

try a pawnshop to buy a cheap amp to power your speakers
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

I will eventually buy an amp and do this right.. for now though all my funds are directed toward the performance end of this car.. My first race in the series I compete in is on June 30th and I simply dont have the extra cash to put into the stereo as it is of the least importance to me.. I do however want a functioning system so this seems to be the best idea until such a time I want to come back and make it "nice" For now I spent 20 bucks on the adaptor plates and should have a decent sound with the front speakers only, powered by the deck..

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo issues, fixing previous owners trash

Quick Reply: Stereo issues, fixing previous owners trash